Efficiencey

Neeranam

The word for efficient, as I know is bra(l) sit(l) ti phap(f).

I found another word, sa(l)mat(l) ta(l) phap(f).

What is the difference?

I know saa® maat(f), is this anything to do with sa(l) mat(l)?

Does anyone know if one is for objects and one people?

Confused.

Cheers.

Edited by Neeranam

As the scouser says, สมรรถภาพ refers to ability or capability, and is rarely used to refer to efficiency. You usually say things like "สมรรถภาพของรถคันนี้สูงมาก" which means that the car performs very well.

Some more ภาพ's

คุณภาพ quality

อนุภาพ power

มิตรภาพ friendship

I know saa® maat(f), is this anything to do with sa(l) mat(l)?

สามารถ and สมารถ both derive from Sanskrit สมรฺถ samartha 'strong', 'competent'. The Pali form สมตฺถ samattha 'able' would yield Thai สมัต, but there is also a Pali word สมตฺต samatta 'accomplished, brought to an end' which would also yield Thai สมัต.

References

สามารถ and สมารถ both derive from Sanskrit สมรฺถ samartha 'strong', 'competent'. The Pali form สมตฺถ samattha 'able' would yield Thai สมัต, but there is also a Pali word สมตฺต samatta 'accomplished, brought to an end' which would also yield Thai สมัต.

Thanks Richard.

I guess "sammaddi " is in there too.

I seem to remember that there are a lot of Sanskrit words starting with 'sam'.

I think I'll study some Sanskrit by reading my "Bhagavad Geeta". I need a break from Thai.

• 2 weeks later...
You usually say things like "สมรรถภาพของรถคันนี้สูงมาก" which means that the car performs very well.

For Thais, we usually say this sentence like "สมรรถนะของรถคันนี้สูงมาก".The term สมรรถภาพ mostly used for people. E.g. คนที่มีปัญหาทางจิตถือว่าเป็นคนไร้สมรรถภาพ or เขาเสื่อมสมรรถภาพทางเพศ (in this case Vigra may be useful for him :o )

You usually say things like "สมรรถภาพของรถคันนี้สูงมาก" which means that the car performs very well.

For Thais, we usually say this sentence like "สมรรถนะของรถคันนี้สูงมาก".The term สมรรถภาพ mostly used for people. E.g. คนที่มีปัญหาทางจิตถือว่าเป็นคนไร้สมรรถภาพ or เขาเสื่อมสมรรถภาพทางเพศ (in this case Vigra may be useful for him :D )

Welcome to ThaiVisa Khun Yoot.

:o

For Thais, we usually say this sentence like "สมรรถนะของรถคันนี้สูงมาก".The term สมรรถภาพ mostly used for people. E.g. คนที่มีปัญหาทางจิตถือว่าเป็นคนไร้สมรรถภาพ or เขาเสื่อมสมรรถภาพทางเพศ (in this case Vigra may be useful for him :o )

Hello Khun Yoot, welcome to Thaivisa Language Forum!

Please stay around the forum. We would all really appreciate having a native speaker here to help us explain the intricacies of the Thai language. :D

For Thais, we usually say this sentence like "สมรรถนะของรถคันนี้สูงมาก".The term สมรรถภาพ mostly used for people. E.g. คนที่มีปัญหาทางจิตถือว่าเป็นคนไร้สมรรถภาพ or เขาเสื่อมสมรรถภาพทางเพศ (in this case Vigra may be useful for him :D )

The term สมรรถภาพ  mostly used for people
When it means "efficiency,I think you wanted to say that the term สมรรถภาพ is used mostly for methods,organizations,procedures etc. :D

For people I'd use ความสามารถ "kwaam saa-maat".For example เขามีความสามารถ.

Also การมีประสิทธิผล "gaan mee prasiti-pon". :o

คนที่มีปัญหาทางจิตถือว่าเป็นคนไร้สมรรถภาพ

สมรรถภาพ can sometimes mean "potential";i.e.. ศักยภาพที่จะพัฒนาได้ :D

เขาเสื่อมสมรรถภาพทางเพศ

Here I think we're talking about the English word "potency"! :D

For an engine and machine,I'd normally use กำลังของเครื่อง "gum-lahng korng kreu-ang" :D

สมรรถนะ is used in mechanics and physics.

Cheers,

Snowleopard

Hrm.. where can I find this Mary Haas dictionary? My book 'Essential Grammar' says that it's very good book for new learner. I am living in Bangkok. Does Asia Books have it perhaps?

The ISBN number is 0-8047-0567-4 and armed with this a book shop should be able to order a copy. It cost me £27.50, so about 1800 baht.

Scouse.

When it means "efficiency,I think you wanted to say that the term สมรรถภาพ is used mostly for methods,organizations,procedures etc. 
No, for methods,organization and procedures the term "ประสิทธิภาพ" is used.
For people I'd use ความสามารถ "kwaam saa-maat".For example เขามีความสามารถ.

Also การมีประสิทธิผล "gaan mee prasiti-pon". 

สมรรถนะ,สมรรถภาพ both mean ความสามารถ . But they are used in the meaning of overall.

From my previous example, คนที่มีปัญหาทางจิตถือว่าเป็นคนไร้สมรรถภาพ , "ไร้สมรรถภาพ" means that person can't do any decisions, incapability to do anything in normal.

The same as "สมรรถนะของรถคันนี้สูงมาก" the term สมรรถนะ means all the performance of a car. If you use กำลังของเครื่อง ,that means only the power of the engine.

เขามีความสามารถ means he is good

E.g. A: คุณแน่ใจหรือว่าเขาจะทำงานนี้ได้ (Are you sure he can do this work?)

B: ไม่ต้องห่วงหรอก เขามีความสามารถพอ (Don't worry. He is good enough)

For Thais, we often say เขาเป็นคนที่มีความสามารถสูง (เขาเป็นคนที่เก่ง)(He is good.)

or เขาเป็นคนที่มีศักยภาพในการทำงานสูง(He is a high potential working person.)

or เขาทำงานได้อย่างมีประสิทธิภาพ (He works with the good efficiency.)

or สมรรถภาพในการทำงานของเขาค่อนข้างต่ำ (His ability working is quite low.)

ประสิทธิผล means success , the result from efficiency.

E.g. ด้วยประสิทธิภาพการทำงานที่ดี จึงทำให้ได้ประสิทธิผลที่ดีด้วย

Ps. Thanks Khun Jai Dee and Khun Mealdish Sweetball. I'm a native speaker, my Thai is perfect but the same as all of you guys leaning Thai , I always have many mistakes with my English.

Firefoxx Posted Yesterday, 2005-02-17 01:05:09

Oops, sorry, got the terms สมรรถนะ and สมรรถภาพ mixed up. What Voot said is what I was meaning to say.

There is nothing wrong in using สมรรถภาพ for cars and for methods,as well as for other things and people.Both สมรรถนะ and สมรรถภาพ are okay to use in Firefox' car example. :o

Check out this example for สมรรถภาพ. :D

คอมพิวเตอร์มีแนวโน้มที่จะถูกลงเรื่อยๆ แต่สมรรถภาพของมันกลับสูงขึ้น

http://lexitron.nectec.or.th/sansarn?query...2%BE+&x=28&y=24

สมรรถนะ is usually used in science,mechanics,e.t.c. and cannot be used in your example "คนที่มีปัญหาทางจิตถือว่าเป็นคนไร้สมรรถภาพ".

Example sentence for สมรรถนะ ...

ปัจจุบันนี้เครื่องไมโครคอมพิวเตอร์มีสมรรถนะสูงขึ้นทุกวัน

http://lexitron.nectec.or.th/sansarn?key=%...B9%D0&x=37&y=11

ความสามารถ for people! :D

Example sentence

หัวหน้าใหญ่มีความสามารถทุกอย่างเก่งกาจกว่าหัวหน้าทุกคน

http://lexitron.nectec.or.th/sansarn?key=%...3%B6+&x=30&y=14

my Thai is perfect

I don't buy that for a moment. :D Perfection is a utopia.Your above assertion might mean that your level of smugness has now surpassed your objective reasoning abilities so you've become "a legend in your own mind".Not surprising though because smugness is not a totally alien trait of the Thai psyche,as the late Kukrit Pramoj observed and pointed out in his biography. :D

Anyway,it's good with a native tribesman onboard,so welcome. :D

Cheers,

Snowleopard

There is nothing wrong in using สมรรถภาพ for cars and for methods,as well as for other things and people.Both สมรรถนะ and สมรรถภาพ are okay to use in Firefox' car example. 

Check out this example for สมรรถภาพ. 

สมรรถนะ is usually used in science,mechanics,e.t.c. and cannot be used in your example "คนที่มีปัญหาทางจิตถือว่าเป็นคนไร้สมรรถภาพ".

ความสามารถ for people! 

Example sentence

my Thai is perfect

I don't buy that for a moment.  Perfection is a utopia.Your above assertion might mean that your level of smugness has now surpassed your objective reasoning abilities so you've become "a legend in your own mind".Not surprising though because smugness is not a totally alien trait of the Thai psyche,as the late Kukrit Pramoj observed and pointed out in his biography. 

Anyway,it's good with a native tribesman onboard,so welcome. 

Cheers,

Snowleopard

LOL!!! That is so funny.

You can speak whatever you want and I don't care though your examples are not used when Thais talk in these meaning. If you think they are right ,that is your problem.But don't blame us if we giggle when you talk these sentences out loud. Especially when you tell us you pick these sentences from lexitron,It's understandable. :o

Speaking Thai isn't just use the example in a Thai-English Dictionary can make you perfect. I feel shame on you to criticize a native Thai with Thai words. I wouldn't say my Thai is perfect if it is not,especially I had some of my papers were published. Anyway, if there is at least one can take advantage from my post that is worth for me.

Cheers~

There is nothing wrong in using สมรรถภาพ for cars and for methods,as well as for other things and people.Both สมรรถนะ and สมรรถภาพ are okay to use in Firefox' car example. 

Check out this example for สมรรถภาพ. 

ความสามารถ for people! 

Example sentence

my Thai is perfect

I don't buy that for a moment.  Perfection is a utopia.Your above assertion might mean that your level of smugness has now surpassed your objective reasoning abilities so you've become "a legend in your own mind".Not surprising though because smugness is not a totally alien trait of the Thai psyche,as the late Kukrit Pramoj observed and pointed out in his biography. 

Anyway,it's good with a native tribesman onboard,so welcome. 

Cheers,

Snowleopard

LOL!!! That is so funny.

You can speak whatever you want and I don't care though your examples are not used when Thais talk in these meaning. If you think they are right ,that is your problem.But don't blame us if we giggle when you talk these sentences out loud. Especially when you tell us you pick these sentences from lexitron,It's understandable. :o

Speaking Thai isn't just use the example in a Thai-English Dictionary can make you perfect. I feel shame on you to criticize a native Thai with Thai words. I wouldn't say my Thai is perfect if it is not,especially I had some of my papers were published. Anyway, if there is at least one can take advantage from my post that is worth for me.

Cheers~

Yoot, don't be discouraged. The rest of us drew great benefit from your post and are really looking forward to your future contributions. :D

Some cats just have a need to get personal... I guess hibernation was too pleasant this year, so kitty is a bit grumpy waking up? :D

It's all in the interpretation of things. Yoot did admit that his English wasn't good, so it's not at all wise to take what he says in English at face value. Yes, nobody is perfect, but can a non-native English speaker make the distinction between "perfect" and "fluent"? I doubt very few non-native Thai speakers can say what the difference between "อารักษ์" and "รักษา" is (without consulting some mindless reference). Thais give farang a lot of leeway when farang speak Thai, yes?

Hmm, perhaps the start of another pointless flame war nears.

Thanks Khun MS. This can't discourage me at all . :D

Firefoxx, Thanks. The problem of using a proper word in English is a big problem for me. I think it's the big problem for everyone who learn foreign languages as well. If you guys see any mistakes of my English you guys can correct me anytime. This will be very much appreciated. :o