'dumped' Dogs Turn To Cannibalism

More than 300 stray dogs in Malaysia that were dumped on uninhabited islands turned to cannibalism after weeks of starvation, welfare activists said.

The dogs were rounded up by villagers last month and cast away on two islands off Malaysia's western Selangor state.

The case has caused outrage after activists released images showing dogs eating the carcasses of other dogs.

The villagers said they believed the dogs would be able to survive by living off the deserted islands' wildlife.

Villagers in Pulau Ketam said the increasing stray dog population there had led to problems with dogs fouling the streets and sometimes biting children.

A team from the Selangor Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) has gone to one of the islands to try to rescue the dogs for rehabilitation.

Efforts have been hampered by the thick mangroves, the SPCA said.

They estimate that 200 dogs may have survived. Once the animals are healthy enough, they will be neutered and re-homed or relocated.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8037635.stm

I live in a condo that does not allow anyone to have pets...but they do let strays in..at the last meeting I suggested that they spay and neuter them to keep the population down(they said it is against Buddhism to do so.)...but they said the were going to round them up and pay the wat to take care of them...which is expensive.

What my question is...does anyone know what our legal responsiblity is...if someone gets bitten...will the co-owners be responsible if we get sued?

sterilization is not against Buddhism. The abbots at the local temples where I live welcome the organizations that come round to spay and neuter.

It sounds rather like they don't want the animals hanging around and instead will dump them off at the wat with some food and then leave the long term care to the monks to deal with.