Evaluate Some Of The Ground Rules, For

Kan Win

Here are some ground rules.

1. Photos must be your own

2. Each photo or set of photos must be in a new topic

Sets should be limited to 3 photos maximum.

3. Topic name should start with Evaluate my Photo

and subheading showing the title of the photo.

4. Where possible some technical details, like exposure used, focal length of lens, etc should be included.

5. Only post your comments here if you feel you can make a constructive and polite contribution in response to what is,

for some, a leap of faith in exposing their work to your critical comment.

Comments like “I love” or “its cr*p” are not what is wanted.

A better approach would be “why or why not does this shot work for you”?

Amended 21st Jan 2008

Yours truly,

Kan Win :)

yumidesign does have a point. We are mostly amatures and shouldn't have to contact Sunbelt for advice before we post. Normal politeness should be enough. I for one would value a coment that someone likes my photo. A comment that it didn't work is ok too if the poster does not have the expertise to say why or why not.

Edited by harrry

there are far too many rules.......... already

Totally agree with you on that point. The rule of thirds is a compositional rule of thumb in visual arts such as painting, photography and design.

Load of .............. Yes and I am a Rebel of NOT putting a tree to the left or right hand side of me photo. Why, I like it dead in the center, thank you. :D

And in Panoramic Photography I do not give a hoot about 'you have to have a subject'. Why, cause the photo whole is the subject. :)

Amature, for sure I am one, but I am mature enough not to post remarks like you have 'yumidesign'. :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

I would suggest. .S

1.S. Any photo should be able to be posted for discussion, with naming a source as an option. This would give those who have a fear of criticism or feel intimidated by putting their photos in a public domain threatening, the chance to learn from comments on photos they admire or do not understand

2.S. The sub forum should be called “Evaluate a Photo”

and subheading showing the title of the photo

3.S. Irrelevant

4. Where possible some technical details, like exposure used, focal length of lens, etc should be included.

4.S. Irrelevant.

5. Only post your comments here if you feel you can make a constructive and polite contribution in response to what is,

5.S. Where I come from freedom of speech along with freedom of expression is the basis of a vibrant, enlightened, and diverse multicultural society. If that means getting up the nose of some of those from the ‘mother country’ or the ‘land of the free’ who offer petty, polite meaningless comment, then so be it and it is their right to do so

Edited by yumidesign

I would suggest. .S

1.S. Any photo should be able to be posted for discussion, with naming a source as an option. This would give those who have a fear of criticism or feel intimidated by putting their photos in a public domain threatening, the chance to learn from comments on photos they admire or do not understand

2.S. The sub forum should be called “Evaluate a Photo”

and subheading showing the title of the photo

3.S. Irrelevant

4.S. Irrelevant.

5.S. Where I come from freedom of speech along with freedom of expression is the basis of a vibrant, enlightened, and diverse multicultural society. If that means getting up the nose of some of those from the ‘mother country’ or the ‘land of the free’ who offer petty, polite meaningless comment, then so be it and it is their right to do so

I think 4S is relevant. When I was starting out in photography and reading everything I could lay my hands on, it was always frustrating not to be able to see the technique of exposure, aperture, focal length, flash or not etc. Beginners I feel need this info to get an insight. Conversely, if a shot shows shake, poor DOF, excessive grain/noise, focusing problems etc, the technical info gives a clue.

I'd like to see this element retained

p.s. I proposed this sub forum. It all came about from a group I was a member of in the 60's wherein we submitted prints for evaluation by our peers. No internet in those days. The criterias were - composition, exposure, print quality, appropriate equipment used (?). Frequently we'd fail because of the use or lack of use of flash, wrong focal length (especially on portrait shots) etc. That's how we learned (what little we know :D )

p.p.s In those days it would take anything up to a month for the shots to go around the "panel" of 8 peers. When they were returned with the critical/complimentary comments attached I'd often forgotten myself what technique I'd applied - good old days :)

Edited by The Vulcan

Here are some ground rules.

and subheading showing the title of the photo.

Comments like "I love" or "its cr*p" are not what is wanted.

A better approach would be "why or why not does this shot work for you"?

Amended 21st Jan 2008

Yours truly,

These "rules" are so simple to abide by and, as such, won't dilute creativity. If the tech details are available (very easy for us RAW format users) it would help beginning photographers immensely as well as makes for good discussion. With regards to comments I for one have a lizard thick skin. But common sense (in short supply for some) and basic courtesy should always apply. Blunt criticism is good as long as it is backed up by CONSTRUCTIVE, hopefully objective comments.

Totally agree with you on that point. The rule of thirds is a compositional rule of thumb in visual arts such as painting, photography and design.

Load of .............. Yes and I am a Rebel of NOT putting a tree to the left or right hand side of me photo. Why, I like it dead in the center, thank you. :D

And in Panoramic Photography I do not give a hoot about 'you have to have a subject'. Why, cause the photo whole is the subject. :)

Amature, for sure I am one, but I am mature enough not to post remarks like you have 'yumidesign'. :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

i agree rules are made to be broken......... but please show me one 'good' photographic landscape that does not have a subject

I am fine with the rules, though you should be able to say what you like.

Those who understand critical language and how to use it constructively will be the ones whose opinion is noted and appreciated.

Pompous and Preposterous! you are saying that because someone has not completed an academic study of linguistics they cannot have an honest valued opinion that would not be appreciated by the creator.

Critical language is just the study of rhetoric and that to you is worthwhile? Wow that’s revealing.

:)

Those who understand critical language and how to use it constructively will be the ones whose opinion is noted and appreciated.

Pompous and Preposterous! you are saying that because someone has not completed an academic study of linguistics they cannot have an honest valued opinion that would not be appreciated by the creator.

Critical language is just the study of rhetoric and that to you is worthwhile? Wow that's revealing.

No what I was saying was sagacity sans spite finds favor.

Edited by canuckamuck

Critical language is just the study of rhetoric and that to you is worthwhile? Wow that's revealing.

what a great big cop-out

what a great big cop-out

what a great big cop-out

Actually canuckamuck is spot on here. A thoughtful comment (as in well-thought out) has far more value than some loose cannon "word salad" comment any day. My tough old grandmother had a favorite saying, "Think before you speak, then shut up." How apropos for this forum.

Actually canuckamuck is spot on here. A thoughtful comment (as in well-thought out) has far more value than some loose cannon "word salad" comment any day. My tough old grandmother had a favorite saying, "Think before you speak, then shut up." How apropos for this forum.

a forum without any comments ............ interesting?

thank Buddha granny is not one of the mods.

• 5 weeks later...

Without wanting to pick at admins.. Can I ask.. Why does every thread need to be 'evaluate my photo' ??

I mean I understand if it was still in the other forum and not its own sub forum, then it helps to make it clear what the thread is in the many.. But having a forum of entirely the same thread titles !?!? How is that a good idea ?? If everything carried the same title surely by definition the title becomes redundant.

Without wanting to pick at admins.. Can I ask.. Why does every thread need to be 'evaluate my photo' ??

I mean I understand if it was still in the other forum and not its own sub forum, then it helps to make it clear what the thread is in the many.. But having a forum of entirely the same thread titles !?!? How is that a good idea ?? If everything carried the same title surely by definition the title becomes redundant.

Hi 'LivinLOS',

These rules came out before the 'sub forum'.

I agree with you hence the 'Bold' part in my OP.

I think it is time to change that part as you pointed out very well.

'astral' what are your thoughts?

Thanking you.

Yours truly,

Edited by Kan Win

Hi 'LivinLOS',

Members have posted photo/s on here without use the 'evaluate my photo'.

Please feel free to do so as well.

Yours truly,