Two Days Sober Today

My last was 1994. Good for you.

One day at a time.

Mine was March 4, 1981, and yes I remember. I never tried it without AA, but I know that many people did not find lasting success without that support group and of course, many who did not find lasting success even with the group. If you read Bill and Dr. Bob's stories and listen to tales in the meetings, you will know that we are dealing with a "cunning, baffling, and powerful" foe.

The road can get very rocky for a while after the pink cloud goes away. While I will refrain from urging you to join AA, since I know that that advice would be rather meaningless if that is now what you want to do, at the same time, please remember, when it seems and feels like it is not worth it, that indeed it is worth the hel_l you may have to go through. And on the other side of the hel_l, there is a lasting peace that grows with every year, that is beyond description when compared to the fear that I experienced just opening my eyes every morning to face another day.

My thoughts and feelings of support, along with those of a multitude of other spiritual survivors, are with you. I find this forum remarkable for its practical advice as well as its unrestrained well-wishing at a time like this.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My last was 1994. Good for you.

One day at a time.

Mine was March 4, 1981, and yes I remember. I never tried it without AA, but I know that many people did not find lasting success without that support group and of course, many who did not find lasting success even with the group. If you read Bill and Dr. Bob's stories and listen to tales in the meetings, you will know that we are dealing with a "cunning, baffling, and powerful" foe.

The road can get very rocky for a while after the pink cloud goes away. While I will refrain from urging you to join AA, since I know that that advice would be rather meaningless if that is now what you want to do, at the same time, please remember, when it seems and feels like it is not worth it, that indeed it is worth the hel_l you may have to go through. And on the other side of the hel_l, there is a lasting peace that grows with every year, that is beyond description when compared to the fear that I experienced just opening my eyes every morning to face another day.

My thoughts and feelings of support, along with those of a multitude of other spiritual survivors, are with you. I find this forum remarkable for its practical advice as well as its unrestrained well-wishing at a time like this.

Good morning all,

That's what got me in the end (among a hundred other things)...the fear!

Just waking up every morning with that overwhelming feeling of impending doom was overwhelming.

It stayed with me the first 2 weeks of sobriety but slowly dissipated as time passed. It's has completely gone now and I actually wake up feeling great.

The Fears, I don't ever want to forget them.

Loong, how is it going my friend? how long has it been now?

I always look forward to seeing you on this thread, sort of like a sponsor thing :) thanks for being here.

It's great to see the friends of Bill W here in LOS. My last drink was Jan. 20 1998. I have been given a gift and the only way to appreciate that gift is to share it. Anytime you need someone to talk to you're more than welcome to PM me. It takes an immense amount of courage to stop drinking so I commend you for that.

Hi Livin'

Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since I last had a bottle of Chang. Trousers are not so tight anymore :) , belt no longer on the last notch.

I usually used to drink 3 large Chang a day, many people would not call that excessive, but it was definitely too much. I do feel so much better and healthier. I have more energy and now I'm sleeping better than ever.

You mentioned before that you had very restless nights - it's better now?

I'm surprised at how pleased my girlfriend is because I'm not drinking. I never thought that she was concerned, but I guess that because of the history of alcoholism in her family, she was worried that I could go the same route.

Another good thing, the last tax increase on beer hasn't affected me at all. In fact, because of the tax increase, I found out just how much tax I would be paying. Maybe not a lot for the average farang, but still 2,000 Baht tax per month. My gf's Father has just retired from work and I am passing the saving on to him to give him a bit of cash in his pocket. So a little bit of extra good comes from it.

Edited by loong

30 days today! :D

At 2 days sober I was happy to just get through the day.

I seriously didn't think I would get this far.

I would like to say thanks to all of you.

Day at a time, next stop 60 days! :)

Please do not be like that.

I can only do it "One Day at a Time" even at times that can be a bit difficult and I have had to cut it down to one hour at a time.

Life can get rough its not a bed of roses and it can be so easy just to say F#### it I will just have one drink. That is where the disaster comes from for the Alcoholic I can not stop at Just One, I tried that in 1971 and drank for another 9 years until I had lost everything but most of all I had lost ME and that was when I joined AA and found out about just doing it for today. This coming 14th August it will be 29 Years of plenty of Ups & Downs but no reason to Drink.

I wish you Good Luck on your Road to Freedom.

Cheers Tony. :D

P.S. Please take note of my Signature at the bottom of my postings.

Edited by Pattayatony

30 days today! :D

At 2 days sober I was happy to just get through the day.

I seriously didn't think I would get this far.

I would like to say thanks to all of you.

Day at a time, next stop 60 days! :)

"I seriously didn't think I would get this far."

You may well have had doubts, that is why you often hear "One day at a time" The idea that an addict can stay clean for such a long time seems an impossibility at first and that is one of the reasons so many people will not take those first very difficult steps.

You've taken those first steps, picked up pace and kept going. 30 days is fantastic, a great achievement.

If you have the time, I'd be really interested if you could look back over the last 30 days and post how your life has improved. Also can you imagine going back to the life you had previous to 31 days ago?

Good luck. You'll like the new you a lot more. Six years for me now.

I stumbled on this thread by accident, and thought I'd read a post or two.

I lost half a day from work reading, I was so impressed and moved.

I'll be back, and I'm sure from the strength of will and mutual support you guys keep showing, I'll only be reading good things.

Fantastic, all of you.

PS 'livinginexile' - you've persuaded me to not work so hard, and go home to my wife and kids earlier each day.

Well done LivinginExile keep knocking the days out and shout the numbers out loud. It is truly remarkable that you stayed sober for 1 day and now you have put the days together to make a month.....30 consecutive miracles. That's what we are....walking miracles, everyone of us that goes 24 hours without a drink. Good on you son keep working the miracles!!!!!

31 today :)

Im realyy pleased for you mate. But stop counting. just really start living. Its not about figures or days or targets.

also bud it seems that people only chime in when its alll going good.

NO support for PHILO at all. when he was talking about death........ Bit cliquey that.

Just a gentle question is there a forum in queensland that you can keep a log on. I live in thailand. This is a Thai forum.

but do stay off the grog.

love

sagaris

With all due respect, L.I.E or you or anybody else cannot save my life. As many people in many threads have stated: You have to do it yourself. And you have to be willing to go to any lenght. Family, friends, money will not matter anymore - you cannot cling to it if you are dead ...

L.I.E. has given me the telephone number to an AA gentleman in Bangkok. I have been speaking to him two times, and he has promised he will find me a suitable hospital. Also he will make shure that AA members will visit me every day.

But in the end it is up to me. Every person hers/his fortune or misery.

Yours philo

(only 2 cans so far this morning)

sagaris

With all due respect, L.I.E or you or anybody else cannot save my life. As many people in many threads have stated: You have to do it yourself. And you have to be willing to go to any lenght. Family, friends, money will not matter anymore - you cannot cling to it if you are dead ...

L.I.E. has given me the telephone number to an AA gentleman in Bangkok. I have been speaking to him two times, and he has promised he will find me a suitable hospital. Also he will make shure that AA members will visit me every day.

Yours philo

Wat Tamkrabok worked for me and many others.

http://www.thamkrabok-monastery.org/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Wat-Tamkrabok-t104567.html

garro

Sorry I forgot to thank you too. I have been reading your experiences there and the interview (I will not mention the b*** - you said youself that the moderators didn't allow it).

I went there to have a look - had a talk with monk Gordon (monk Hans was not there at the time) - but postphoned it due to the fact that my wife, children and car was there also.

How stupid can a man (me) be ?

I will add another link (practical information) - may be it could help someone: http://www.templedetox.ie/

garro

Sorry I forgot to thank you too. I have been reading your experiences there and the interview (I will not mention the b*** - you said youself that the moderators didn't allow it).

I went there to have a look - had a talk with monk Gordon (monk Hans was not there at the time) - but postphoned it due to the fact that my wife, children and car was there also.

How stupid can a man (me) be ?

I will add another link (practical information) - may be it could help someone: http://www.templedetox.ie/

Monk Gordon is great, but it is a pity that you didn't get to meet Phra Hans. I actually have a lot of contact with the founders of templedetox in Ireland. I was just about to put a link to it on another thread.

Edited by garro

sagaris

Yours philo

Good on you philo

He is a good man and will follow up on his promise.

All the best mate and please let us know how you get on.

It's 32 days for me today and I'm here to tell you it is soooo worth the effort of getting sober.

Good luck mate.

LIE and Loong, you are doing so well. Keep up this thread and not only will you make people's day, but you might also encourage others to follow your example.

Hello Garro,

I have to say that it wasn't my intention to stop drinking altogether, usually I would drink 3 large beer Chang every day. Sometimes only 2 sometimes 4. In times of stress, ie argument with the gf, I would drink more. This IS a danger sign. I know many people who drink a lot more and they don't think that they have a problem.

I used to have regular breaks from drinking of between 3 and 7 days at a time, but I had gone 6 months without a break. I forced myself to have a break and didn't drink for 3 days. Then I bought 1 bottle, but when it finished, I had to go and buy another. After 3 days I was drinking the same as before and then happened to read Livinginexiles post. Reading his post made me look at myself again and think about where I was headed.

The beer was getting to be too important to me and I was encouraged to take a further break from drinking.

At the moment, I just consider that I'm on an extended break, that was my only intention. Now I find that I feel healthier, happier and sleep better without 3 Changs a day. I don't want to go back to 3 a day and realise that 1 leads to another, so is better to go without. So I will continue with the break.

Livin' 32 days, great stuff. More than a month of taking back your life already. BIG achievement

Edited by loong

LIE and Loong, you are doing so well. Keep up this thread and not only will you make people's day, but you might also encourage others to follow your example.

Hello Garro,

I have to say that it wasn't my intention to stop drinking altogether, usually I would drink 3 large beer Chang every day. Sometimes only 2 sometimes 4. In times of stress, ie argument with the gf, I would drink more. This IS a danger sign. I know many people who drink a lot more and they don't think that they have a problem.

I used to have regular breaks from drinking of between 3 and 7 days at a time, but I had gone 6 months without a break. I forced myself to have a break and didn't drink for 3 days. Then I bought 1 bottle, but when it finished, I had to go and buy another. After 3 days I was drinking the same as before and then happened to read Livinginexiles post. Reading his post made me look at myself again and think about where I was headed.

The beer was getting to be too important to me and I was encouraged to take a further break from drinking.

At the moment, I just consider that I'm on an extended break, that was my only intention. Now I find that I feel healthier, happier and sleep better without 3 Changs a day. I don't want to go back to 3 a day and realise that 1 leads to another, so is better to go without. So I will continue with the break.

Livin' 32 days, great stuff. More than a month of taking back your life already. BIG achievement

Hi Loong, good on you. You don't have to be a crazy drunk to appreciate sobriety. Enjoy your extended break and who knows? Maybe you will decide you prefer life with no alcohol. Or maybe you will decide that life is fine with with a few bottles of Chang now and again. Up to you. Good luck anyway.

Hello Garro,

Thanks Loong, how is your health? the reason I ask is I have not felt so good (physically) for many years. Today I actually felt like going for a jog! :)

It didn't get past a thought tho. :D

I still wake in the mornings with a nasty hangover feeling without the headache. Wonder what that is.

33 days today for me.

Take care buddy.

Thanks Loong, how is your health? the reason I ask is I have not felt so good (physically) for many years. Today I actually felt like going for a jog! ohmy.gif

It didn't get past a thought tho. tongue.gif

I still wake in the mornings with a nasty hangover feeling without the headache. Wonder what that is.

33 days today for me.

Take care buddy.

Steady now, don't even think about jogging - that's just crazy talk - ya hear?! :)

If you must do something energetic, get working in the garden, a much better idea. I was out weeding at 6AM today before it got too hot. Last time I went for a jog it was great, but i jogged until I was tired then realised I had to go back again. Should have done a circuit. Swimming's the best exercise for people like me. Maybe give that a go and take your family with you.

I actually found that I had a hangover WITH a slight headache for about the first week. Maybe you are still suffering from withdrawal symptoms? I actually replaced my beer Changs with coffee and too much of it! That may have had something to do with the headache. I'm drinking more plain water now, or with a dash of lemon and no bad head or anything.

Have you increased consumption of something to replace the beer?

You definitely should be feeling proud of yourself now, no looking back from here.

Hello Garro,

Thanks Loong, how is your health? the reason I ask is I have not felt so good (physically) for many years. Today I actually felt like going for a jog! :)

It didn't get past a thought tho. :D

33 days today for me.

Take care buddy.

I saw your comment about jogging. For me it took about one year of not drinking and working the steps until I realized that I would like to spend more time awake. That is the time that I finally decided to quit smoking. In conjunction with quitting smoking, I started jogging, of course using a 'how to book' to help. I walked a block, jogged a block, continuing to alternate. I finally got to a point where I could run 2-3 miles without stopping. I still do that off and on, along with other exercises 4-5 times a week.

Good luck, and just practice patience. It is all worth it.

Livinginexile

I just saw this tread today, first i thought what is this sh!t about, now i have been reading all 8 pages, what can i say, your Wife and kid must be proud of you now, i will follow this tread now, and don’t let us down, OK???