Course Conditions At Present

Jonny B

i was hoping this could be an ongoing topic where we can comtinually update about course conditions and which courses are good and not so good at the moment as i have noticed alot of times here in thailand the course quality changes alot, especially in the low season some courses seem to neglet them or be doing work on them, which can be quite dissapointing when turn up to play.

So i will start. I just played at Pattana Sports Club the other day and was a bit dissapointed, have played there many times before and its always been in pretty good condition but seems like the greens are getting quite bad and there has always been alot of flies there for some reason but they seem to be getting worse aswell as those really small insects {malang wii} that hang around your face and ears while trying to hit, the rest of the course is pretty good however and it has to be one of the best clubhouses ive ever seen. Just in terms of previous condition it is worse, maybe that is why it is so cheap for pattaya sports club membrs at the moment so for the price i dont want to complain too much.

So if you have played at any courses very recently that you think deserve a review, whether bad or good which can help each other to decide where to play that would be great.

So if you have played at any courses very recently that you think deserve a review, whether bad or good which can help each other to decide where to play that would be great.

I post reviews on the golf courses I play on the thaigolfer.com website. They have a section for golf course reviews, which I find very helpful.

I post reviews on the golf courses I play on the thaigolfer.com website. They have a section for golf course reviews, which I find very helpful.

yeah thats a good site but ive found often that the reviews are quite old.

UNICO-greens are lousy (always are though) but I still play once a week there.

Lotus Valley superb condition - best I have played in Thailand- but they have posted that they are fixing the greens so there will be some closure/problems for 9 holes I believe. best to call ahead and they should tell you.

Panya Indra was in good condition (couple of weeks ago)

Edited by candoman89

cheers fellas, candoman what area are those courses? not familiar with them.

Bangpakong Riverside is closed at the moment due to a tournament, cant remember when they will re-open, think at least a week and will also be closed for a week or so in july so check with them if going to play there, doesnt mention anything on their website either.

UNICO is just off Srinakarin road and right beside Krung Thep Kreeta course (Bangkok)

Lotus Valley-head out past Lam Luuka and keep on going

Panya Indra near fashion Island (Bangkok)

thanks for the info about Bangkpakong riverside..........i usually play there once a month.......will be sure to call them.

UNICO is just off Srinakarin road and right beside Krung Thep Kreeta course (Bangkok)

thanks for the info about Bangkpakong riverside..........i usually play there once a month.......will be sure to call them.

ahh cool, thanks mate, have yet to play in bangkok, i normally stick to the courses around chonburi, will tro to get out that way sometime.

i imagine bangpakong should be in good condition if there playing a tourni there at the moment, especially the tourni in july is a main thailand tour tourni so they will be getting it nice for that and the current promo of 1450 for golf, cart, caddy and 100 baht food/drink voucher at halfway houses insnt bad either. might catch you out there sometime.

ahh cool, thanks mate, have yet to play in bangkok, i normally stick to the courses around chonburi, will tro to get out that way sometime.

i imagine bangpakong should be in good condition if there playing a tourni there at the moment, especially the tourni in july is a main thailand tour tourni so they will be getting it nice for that and the current promo of 1450 for golf, cart, caddy and 100 baht food/drink voucher at halfway houses insnt bad either. might catch you out there sometime.

I played at Bangpakong Riverside on Sat 2nd May. The course was in good condition, the rough was quite deep which I guess was due to the preparation for the tournament. (Unfortunately my group scraped the bottom of the barrel with regards to caddy allocation on the day...hope we get better caddies there next time).

cool, haha about the caddies, there are definately some nice youngens that work there so keep an eye out and get some numbers next time, not very flirty etc there though.

I played at Bangpakong Riverside on Sat 2nd May. The course was in good condition, the rough was quite deep which I guess was due to the preparation for the tournament. (Unfortunately my group scraped the bottom of the barrel with regards to caddy allocation on the day...hope we get better caddies there next time).

Lamlukka Country Club is in fantastic nick at the moment . . . plus I think they have the prettiest caddies in Bangkok.........

Got to agree about Lam Luk Ka - always in great nick. However, if it's caddies you're interested in it's got to be Pinehurst :)

Played at Bangpakong Riverside on Sunday 17th May, afternoon flight. It took 4 hours to complete 9 holes, rain interrupted play for about half hour which caused a traffic jam on the course (there was also a ThaiBev corporate tournament underway which may have contributed to the slow play). The course was in good condition, however, the rough is getting deeper in preparation for a tournament schedule in July. Caddy allocation this time was okay.

Lamlukka Country Club is in fantastic nick at the moment . . . plus I think they have the prettiest caddies in Bangkok.........

However, if it's caddies you're interested in it's got to be Pinehurst :)

No he's not, cause if he is I'll tell his wife :D

Dragon Hills Ratchaburi is in great condition right now thanks to rain and Mondays the green fee is 200 - two hundred - baht; add 200 for caddy and 200 for tip and your round will cost 600; you can add a cart for another 500 baht; there is a reduced green fee on Tuesdays, Wednesdays of 300; it is a bit out of the way but well worth the effort. It is a seriously challenging course, the back nine has 3 par fives and 3 par threes and you would be doing well to par one the par threes. The Monday promo is possibly the best golfing bargain in Thailand right now.

• 3 weeks later...

I usually play twice a week on weekdays and always at a different course although sometimes go back to great courses. My playing partner has just returned to the UK so its the driving range for me for a while. Here are some of the recent courses ive played and their condition and what I paid. Most courses I played were pretty empty.

Green Valley - Good condition, slowish greens paid 1000

Summit Windmill - Nice course, greens a bit bumpy and having work done on them paid 1000

Krung Kavee - No one on course so very fast to get around paid 1000 but got a lucky dip discount of 200. Greens VERY slow and tees need grass cutting.

LamLuKa -Superb as always the best course ive played paid 700 very fast greens and imaculate all round.

The Royal Golf and Country - Club Good condition paid 1000 huge greens in great condition will play again.

The Vintage Club - Fantastic condition greens are just great and a beatuiful course paid 1000 and really enjoyed it.

Tanya Tanee - Cant beat the price at 400 for sports days and the course is in good condition.

Im on a mission to play every course in Thailand and ive nearly done all the ones in a 1 hour radius of central bangkok and thats taken me ages :) I wont comment on their condition or price ive just given you the recent ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Played UNICO again yesterday. Greens are in fairly decent condition (due to the recent rain?) and very little coring on them. They have changed the first hole to a par 5 now and there is now a new hole #4 (par 4; used to be par 5). 680 Baht for green fee +250 Baht for caddy since it was sports day.

Still lots of water everywhere (permanent water not temporaty).

• 1 month later...

The Pine Golf & Lodge is in pretty good condition. Played Saturday tee off time of 1 p.m. and finished around 6 p.m. 1,000 Baht including caddy. couple of the greens were a little sandy but other than that it was pretty good. Fairways were hard so got extra bounce/roll when I actually hit them.

will play there again.

• 2 months later...