Suzuki Raider Aka Suzuki Belang

johng

Well it seems reports of the Suzuki Raiders demise,while true... where short lived, as from the 15th April 2009

there is now the Suzuki Belang being sold in Malaysia :)

www.suzuki.com.my/index.htm

forum.autoworld.com.my/index.php?showtopic=88563

salihinr.blogspot.com/2009/04/suzuki-belang-r150.html

post-2109-1241855333_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1241855320_thumb.jpg

I hope to see them again in the Suzuki showrooms in Thailand.

Edited by johng

It's kinda cool...

Looks like a Honda Sonic, but pricing says it's over $2100 US, or about 74,500 THB, before importing. It's air cooled and probably not so easy to get parts for or have worked on. Better off with a Honda Sonic, which is water cooled and has saturated the market, so very easy to have repairs/parts, even in Europe and all over S.E. Asia. Next year the Sonic is likely to be fuel injected as well. If you must have a 150, then the Honda CBR150 is better, cheaper, cooler....

Enough said....?

The Suzuki Raider R150 is something like 58,000 Baht in Thailand, and it is one of the motorcycle for which there are huge amounts of modify parts for.

For Thailand the reintroduction is probably only for a short term, the bike has a the high emission ratio to stay after 2009. For Malaysia this is no problem, as Malaysia has not adopted the Euro III emission standard (for now). Even motorcycles like the Kawasaki Ninja 250R and D-tracker are in Malaysia equipped with carburetors and lower quality exhausted unites.

The Suzuki Raider R150 is something like 58,000 Baht in Thailand, and it is one of the motorcycle for which there are huge amounts of modify parts for.

Richard-BKK can you point me in the direction of some modified parts for my Suzuki Raider ?

I would like a stainless steel exhaust and maybe bigger carb and sprockets for a bit more speed.

post-2109-1241874235_thumb.jpg

Edited by johng

just got off the phone with a saleperson at the suzuki factory...no knowledge of any Raiders coming back out on the market...but then again didnt seem very interested in answering the question either.

Edited by sinewave

i don't know how you would like to clasify the person i talked too - i call someone who answers my question about a product a salesperson or representative...but believe me it wasn't a figment of my imagination.

that link only states a product description, no mention of a re-release, the suzuki main page has had the raider listed as a 'on the market' product for a long time.

i'll give the people in your link a call tomorrow to see what the real deal is, is it ok if i refer to them as a salesman?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

edit: I see it now, at the very top it says "New models "

Edited by sinewave

Sinewave,

You say you called the Thai Suzuki factory, the Thai Suzuki factory has no sales persons - they will redirect you to one of the distributors. So it is likely that you called a distributor, as I said Suzuki has 3 in Thailand, and only one has started to redistribute the Suzuki Raider R150...

If you call BanSuzuki, you can call them sales persons, as they probably are... Probably you called SPSuzuki, which is the largest Suzuki Distributor, but also has abandonment the distribution of Raiders as they not pass the 2010 emission law... Some other 150cc motorcycle model promoted on this board also doesn't meet the 2010 emission norm... (the future for both motorcycles is unclear, likely, if they already have plates, they can live out there lives...., but newly registration is not possible....)

It's kinda cool...

Looks like a Honda Sonic, but pricing says it's over $2100 US, or about 74,500 THB, before importing. It's air cooled and probably not so easy to get parts for or have worked on. Better off with a Honda Sonic, which is water cooled and has saturated the market, so very easy to have repairs/parts, even in Europe and all over S.E. Asia. Next year the Sonic is likely to be fuel injected as well. If you must have a 150, then the Honda CBR150 is better, cheaper, cooler....

Enough said....?

I don't know which part of your post to shoot at first. :)

Pricing in Thailand will be alot closer to 50k, than what you have quoted.

Its aircooled yes, parts are readily available & its extreemly easy to work on.

You recommend the honda sonic (125) & whilst that bike is water cooled, it only offers a 5 speed gearbox compaired to the raiders 6 speed box. Having extensively ridden both bikes, I have no hesitation to tell you that the raider runs rings around the sonic. The raider is definately more powerful, quicker in acceleration & top end speed.

The Raiders are quicker & cheaper than the CBR150. I think the CBR150 is a much nicer looking bike in my opinion & they have a real fuel tank verses the 4.9litre underseat job of the raider. The pillion seat of the raider is alot more pillion friendly, especially when it comes to dropping kiddies to school or transporting chooks (chickens).

I think thats enuf said for now.

I don't know which part of your post to shoot at first. :D

Pricing in Thailand will be alot closer to 50k, than what you have quoted.

Its aircooled yes, parts are readily available & its extreemly easy to work on.

You recommend the honda sonic (125) & whilst that bike is water cooled, it only offers a 5 speed gearbox compaired to the raiders 6 speed box. Having extensively ridden both bikes, I have no hesitation to tell you that the raider runs rings around the sonic. The raider is definately more powerful, quicker in acceleration & top end speed.

The Raiders are quicker & cheaper than the CBR150. I think the CBR150 is a much nicer looking bike in my opinion & they have a real fuel tank verses the 4.9litre underseat job of the raider. The pillion seat of the raider is alot more pillion friendly, especially when it comes to dropping kiddies to school or transporting chooks (chickens).

I think thats enuf said for now.

That 50k is if manufactured here in LOS.....is that going to happen, or did all the dies and tooling get sent of to Malaysia?

Aircooled is not a reason to nag on a bike, I agree, and having your guts hanging down like an elephant's dong should make it easy to work on.

But, but, the Sonic is a Honda! :)

I'm still waiting for the Raider/CBR 150 shootout; you'd need a disinterested third party to test both bikes though so that there can be no claims of favouritism.