Buying A Used Truck

legendarysurfer

O.K., I'll admit it, I bought a Used Pick-up Truck in Issan... There, I said it... I don't think that my lady will ever forgive me for it... Thai's just do not like to buy Used, but I really only wanted to spend $5,000 to $6,000 USD's for transportation...

Bought a 1996 Toyota with about 109,000 kilometers on the clock... Nice little truck that I have only had to put about 10,000 baht in repairs over the past 8 months... But every time I have to spend 10 baht, the lady says "See, you should have bought New One"...

I looked all over in Khon Kaen, and then around Kalasin where I live, and ended up finding the one I bought at a little place in between Kalasin and Roi Et... He only had four trucks, but all were in good condition and his pricing was about 15% to 20% lower than anywhere eles for the same age. model, condition... I had my ladies brother who is a mechanic with me to check out the drivetrain's...

Because I am still on a tourist visa, I put it in my ladies name, but next month armed with a retirement visa, both the truck and my new bike (honda Phantom) will be transfered into my name...

Seems that Brand, model and condition seem to have more effect on price than year or milage...

Anyway, good luck with your search and purchase...

Pianoman

Too true the Thais don't like 2nd hand vehicles. A few years ago I bought a 2nd hand pickup for the bro' in law and had to send it back to get a new one.

Mind you, the 2nd hand one - about a yr old - wasn't much cheaper than the new one. A new Isuzu D-Max starts at about Bt .5mill and they seem to run and run. I bought the 2nd hand one from the same Isuzu dealer and just traded it in. They seem to buy new but hold on to it forever.

Bought a 5 year old Toyota,had to pay the full price cash,I think it's usual for farangs,we are considered a bad risk! :D

The lady was unhappy,she would have liked a saloon,and new,of course,Thais want to show a new car,but sometimes can't pay the rates.

We need a pick-up because the roads are really bad,and I find it useful for

carriyng loads (and people) around;by Songkran it's a must! :D

The used cars are not cheap,I believe they have a long shelf life,and you can never trust the conditions they are in or the mileage,it's very easy to cheat,they don't let you have a really good test!

Up to now didn't spend excessively for repairs,plan to hold it another 2 years,if my wife let me. :o

O.K., I'll admit it,  I bought a Used Pick-up Truck in Issan...  There, I said it...  I don't think that my lady will ever forgive me for it...  Thai's just do not like to buy Used, but I really only wanted to spend $5,000 to $6,000 USD's for transportation...

Bought a 1996 Toyota  with about 109,000 kilometers on the clock...  Nice little truck that I have only had to put about 10,000 baht in repairs over the past 8 months...  But every time I have to spend 10 baht, the lady says "See, you should have bought New One"...

I looked all over in Khon Kaen, and then around Kalasin where I live, and ended up finding the one I bought at a little place in between Kalasin and Roi Et...  He only had four trucks, but all were in good condition and his pricing was about 15% to 20% lower than anywhere eles for the same age. model, condition...  I had my ladies brother who is a mechanic with me to check out the drivetrain's...

Because I am still on a tourist visa, I put it in my ladies name, but next month armed with a retirement visa, both the truck and my new bike (honda Phantom) will be transfered into my name...

Seems that Brand, model and condition seem to have more effect on price than year or milage...

Anyway, good luck with your search and purchase...

Pianoman

Do you really think your missus is going to change the book into your name without a fuss? Good luck! Buying a used pick-up is the best way to go. Lots of repos around from the locals who have failed to make the payments on the high priced new ones. Makes one think about losing face, is it better to buy a new one you cannot afford or lose the new one back to finance.

ajahnlau,

Yes, I think I've got a good one... She has already signed all of the paperwork, just waiting for my visa situation so that I can legally register it in my name.. She seems happy with the fact that I totally support all of our needs, and besides she can not drive anyway... She did not even want the bike in her name when I bought it, but relented when the sales gal offered the paperwork in advance to transfer it to me...

Again, I think that I have a Good One...

Pianoman

ajahnlau,

Yes, I think I've got a good one...  She has already signed all of the paperwork, just waiting for my visa situation so that I can legally register it in my name..  She seems happy with the fact that I totally support all of our needs, and besides she can not drive anyway...  She did not even want the bike in  her name when I bought it, but relented when the sales gal offered the paperwork in advance to transfer it to me... 

Pianoman

Very adamant on "a good one" then why transfer to your name? Just curious,not doubting your other half.

ajahnlau,

Yes, I think I've got a good one...  She has already signed all of the paperwork, just waiting for my visa situation so that I can legally register it in my name..  She seems happy with the fact that I totally support all of our needs, and besides she can not drive anyway...   She did not even want the bike in  her name when I bought it, but relented when the sales gal offered the paperwork in advance to transfer it to me... 

Pianoman

Very adamant on "a good one" then why transfer to your name? Just curious,not doubting your other half.

Just always want things proper, and being proper they should be in my name, not hers... Plus we are not married, just living together as long is it is "Good" for both of us... Not all Thai's are just out to "Get" whatever they can from Farangs... There are Good Thai's and Bad Thai's, just as there are "Good" Farang's and "Bad" Farangs... IMO... I will hold onto that belief until it all goes bad, then you can tell me "I told you so"...

Pianoman

ajahnlau,

Yes, I think I've got a good one...  She has already signed all of the paperwork, just waiting for my visa situation so that I can legally register it in my name..  She seems happy with the fact that I totally support all of our needs, and besides she can not drive anyway...   She did not even want the bike in  her name when I bought it, but relented when the sales gal offered the paperwork in advance to transfer it to me... 

Pianoman

Just always want things proper, and being proper they should be in my name, not hers... Plus we are not married, just living together as long is it is "Good" for both of us... Not all Thai's are just out to "Get" whatever they can from Farangs... There are Good Thai's and Bad Thai's, just as there are "Good" Farang's and "Bad" Farangs... IMO... I will hold onto that belief until it all goes bad, then you can tell me "I told you so"...

Pianoman

Sir, would never say "I told you so" and wish you good luck.

ajahnlau,

Yes, I think I've got a good one...  She has already signed all of the paperwork, just waiting for my visa situation so that I can legally register it in my name..  She seems happy with the fact that I totally support all of our needs, and besides she can not drive anyway...  She did not even want the bike in  her name when I bought it, but relented when the sales gal offered the paperwork in advance to transfer it to me... 

Pianoman

I'm confused wife or truck?

ajahnlau,

Pianoman

I'm confused wife or truck?

Hopefully both...

Pianoman

• 1 month later...

I bought a second hand Toyota pickup from a farang in Pattaya. It was a good one but it was gasoline powered. He ordered it that way and bought it new so the odometer was correct and he had all the service records. Being gasoline powered it was worth very little and I got it for 160,000 baht. Since I am now spending most of my time in Loei province I decided to buy a diesel because they run so much cheaper. I looked for a couple of months and found a really nice Toyota with 59,000 kilometers on the odometer. I looked at the brake and clutch pedals and they were pretty worn. The driver's seat was also frayed at the edge. I had just looked at one that had 300,000 on the odometer and the seat and pedals looked like new. The Toyota I wanted had a warranty sticker on the windshield that said 100,000 kilometer warranty. When I asked for the service book I got a blank stare. He said "No have". I have no idea how many actual kilometers were on it but obviously many, many. I went directly to the Nissan dealer and bought a new one. It is loaded and I got it for 540,000 baht. I have seen some that looked very good but were probably heavily damaged in an accident because they dog tracked badly. I think you are better off to buy a new one.

Good point about mileage as most used vehicles are going to have it reset to a lower number. And sometimes they even include the service manual showing it should be about 30% higher it is such an accepted practice here. Many will have have had serious damage repaired so there is more than face involved with most Thai wanting to buy new. Now when they get a lemon new you get headlines like that Honda CRV a few weeks ago. :o

Good point about mileage as most used vehicles are going to have it reset to a lower number.  And sometimes they even include the service manual showing it should be about 30% higher it is such an accepted practice here.  Many will have have had serious damage repaired so there is more than face involved with most Thai wanting to buy new.  Now when they get a lemon new you get headlines like that Honda CRV a few weeks ago. :o

Just boougth my first pickup after three years here, the bikes were Ok but so is airconditioning. I looked all over for a used one and found that I really wouldn't be saving much even I could find a low milage one which I couldn't. Thia mainanance doesn't seem to be well thought of, actually it is a very simple system if it isn't broken leave it alone, unfornately this can extend to engine oil. I hope you can find what I couldn't a used vehicle that you hace confidence in here.

Based on the input, I guess I'm looking at a new truck when I make the complete retirement move. :o

In the interim, I would still like to have something cheap that could be used by my wife's family and us (if it's still running!) when we visit. I used to be a competent non-professional VW mechanic on the pre-1972 engines. How prevelant are VW's in the Isaan? I don't recall seeing many, but I haven't thought about them until recently. It seems to me a VW transporter would be very efficient. :D

Based on the input, I guess I'm looking at a new truck when I make the complete retirement move.  :o

In the interim, I would still like to have something cheap that could be used by my wife's family and us (if it's still running!) when we visit. I used to be a competent non-professional VW mechanic on the pre-1972 engines. How prevelant are VW's in the Isaan? I don't recall seeing many, but I haven't thought about them until recently. It seems to me a VW transporter would be very efficient.  :D

There are tons of used trucks for sale in the Udon area, they have sprung up all over the place in the last four years. You might put some time into serious nogaitions on price. Something I have not seen a lot of since I have been here on vehicles. Much different then in the states. The other thing I would like to make yuo aware of financing on new vehicles is easy. However it does require a Thia co-signer with a job, preferably a government employee. I tried bartering the price and the best I could do was 10K off 770K and that took three days. If you watch the classifieds on this board you can see some pretty good deals. Not every story is a disaster, I picked the new route as I ride bikes most of the time and don't intend to change that, so a new vehicle for me will probably be the last one I buy. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took a local mechanic along when i wanted to view second hand cars and gave him a hundred baht for each car we looked at.In the end got a seven year old Isuzu for 220,000 and never had a problem. :D

Now, why didn't I think of that? :o Great modus operandi. This is the way to go. Thanks much! :D

Hi i Bought a Nissan Pick-up last year for 250,000baht.Very good motor.But before buying was told by many family members not to buy in the Area as most 2nd hand motors have been worked to death even if they were a few years old.So we made the long trip to Pattaya & bought it there from a dealership including.service, 6 months warranty & a full tank of petrol :o:D.One year on no problems touch wood. :D:D

Took a local mechanic along when i wanted to view second hand cars and gave him a hundred baht for each car we looked at.In the end got a seven year old Isuzu for 220,000 and never had a problem. :o

I also had good luck with my used 1997 Isuzu. I bought it three years ago with 200k km on the odometer. I paid about 290k Baht for it, maybe too much, but it has run well. I have only had to buy a few front end parts and a waterpump. It now has 350k km on the odometer and still runs fine.

Bryan