Elephant Camps & Riding

Spee

I'm trying to locate an elephant camp or reserve, in the Phetchabun or Phichit areas, where elephants are trained and cared for, and where people may be able to pay for an elephant ride.

Several friends and family have indicated they may be coming over for a visit, and I want to give them an unique, interesting and enjoyable central Thailand experience. I thought this might be one option.

Any thoughts or ideas ???

PS. Has anyone been to any of the national parks on the north side of Phetchabun. I heard there was a lot of interesting things to see there, but any first hand knowledge would be helpful.

TIA!

HI,

I drove 3 times on the road between Phitsanoluk and Khon Kaen.

I recall an elephant center in between about 180km out. Sorry it is very vague but it seemed very 'official' and very big.

Also probably too far for you but north of Uttaradit (60km) there is the Sirikit Dam which is surrounded by gorgeous countryside with hours of trekking paths

in the cool(er) nature.

Edited by Krub

I spole to a lady at work who lived there for many years and commuted between Phitsanoluk and Petchabun.

She didn't answer me about the elephants, but dod go on about what happens in Girls boarding schools in Phitsanoluk.

Sorry I don't think that will help you.

Matt :o

I'm trying to locate an elephant camp or reserve, in the Phetchabun or Phichit areas, where elephants are trained and cared for, and where people may be able to pay for an elephant ride.

Several friends and family have indicated they may be coming over for a visit, and I want to give them an unique, interesting and enjoyable central Thailand experience. I thought this might be one option.

PS. Has anyone been to any of the national parks on the north side of Phetchabun. I heard there was a lot of interesting things to see there, but any first hand knowledge would be helpful.

TIA!

Have you ever been on the back of an elephant? I have, and found it to be a very dull and not particularly comfortable experience. You may want to bear this in mind if arranging the ride for your guests.

Good luck.

Have you ever been on the back of an elephant? I have, and found it to be a very dull and not particularly comfortable experience. You may want to bear this in mind if arranging the ride for your guests.

Yes, I understand. Doing an actual ride is not the main thing. There will probably be about 1/3 kids and about 2/3 adults in the visiting group. So the main thing is to do something interesting and exciting that they wouldn't be able to see or do in few other places in the world besides Thailand. I thought an opportunity to watch the mahout do their thing and maybe take a ride was a possible choice to fit the bill. Fortunately, I do have the luxury of time for picking, choosing and planning. At any rate, with respect to the elephants, I think the closest places are nearer to Korat and Chiang Mai, which are a bit too far away. Thanks for the feedback.

I spole to a lady at work who lived there for many years and commuted between Phitsanoluk and Petchabun.

She didn't answer me about the elephants, but dod go on about what happens in Girls boarding schools in Phitsanoluk.

Sorry I don't think that will help you.

Matt  :D

But surely that must be worthy of a new thread? :D

Yes, but not today :o

TIA!

TIA!

Ok, let's try that again with some text.........

Just back from 4 weeks in Lom Sak, northern Phetchabun.

As far as I know there aren't any elephant trekking outfits in the Phetchabun area. The national parks I have visited are:

Nam Nao National Park: main HQ off highway 12 between Lom Sak and Chumphae. Didn't charge the 200 baht farang tax for entry, only Thai entry fee. Some waymarked nature trails and walks from the HQ. At the northern edge of the park is Tham Yai Nam Nao, a 9. 5km long cave with the first 500m open to the public. There are Park rangers to give guided tours. If you are feeling adventurous the rangers will take you past the end of the showcave, but you will get a bit muddy (couple of short crawls). This northern end of the park is home to wild elephants - came across lots of evidence while trekking in the area and a couple of elephants were seen.

Khao Kho National Park: very popular with the Thais. Deforested hills with a couple of waterfalls, royal palace, etc.

Phu Hin Rong Kla National Park: drive up from the Lom Sak side is great fun. Gentler drive up from the west. 200 baht entry charged. Old commie controlled area. Museum, displays, etc. Quite a bit of jungle.

Thung Salaeng National Park: Haven't visited the main part of the park reached from highway 12 between Lom Sak and Phitsanulok, only the western edge near Ban Chomphu. Main HQ looks to be quite a big place with the usual foodstalls, etc.

TIA!

Ok, let's try that again with some text.........

Just back from 4 weeks in Lom Sak, northern Phetchabun.

As far as I know there aren't any elephant trekking outfits in the Phetchabun area. The national parks I have visited are:

Nam Nao National Park: main HQ off highway 12 between Lom Sak and Chumphae. Didn't charge the 200 baht farang tax for entry, only Thai entry fee. Some waymarked nature trails and walks from the HQ. At the northern edge of the park is Tham Yai Nam Nao, a 9. 5km long cave with the first 500m open to the public. There are Park rangers to give guided tours. If you are feeling adventurous the rangers will take you past the end of the showcave, but you will get a bit muddy (couple of short crawls). This northern end of the park is home to wild elephants - came across lots of evidence while trekking in the area and a couple of elephants were seen.

Khao Kho National Park: very popular with the Thais. Deforested hills with a couple of waterfalls, royal palace, etc.

Phu Hin Rong Kla National Park: drive up from the Lom Sak side is great fun. Gentler drive up from the west. 200 baht entry charged. Old commie controlled area. Museum, displays, etc. Quite a bit of jungle.

Thung Salaeng National Park: Haven't visited the main part of the park reached from highway 12 between Lom Sak and Phitsanulok, only the western edge near Ban Chomphu. Main HQ looks to be quite a big place with the usual foodstalls, etc.

I must have been referring to Nam Nao National Park in my earlier post. I did not stop and just recall having seen mention of the elephants at the entrance of the facility. Looks like it is not possible to ride the animals.