Buddhist Wedding

wilko

My brother, who lives in England, wants to marry his English girlfriend here on Koh Chang with a Buddhist ceremony.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here…

I need to find someone who can carry out the ceremony and what if any restrictions there are on location etc…

My brother, who lives in England, wants to marry his English girlfriend here on Koh Chang with a Buddhist ceremony.

I need to find someone who can carry out the ceremony and what if any restrictions there are on location etc…

Do they want any particular kind of Buddhist wedding (Thai, Zen, etc)?

There's a place on Samui that does wedding/honeymoon packages.

Zazen Bungalows Boutique Hotel

Samui Ring Road, Bo Phut

177, Moo 1, Tambon Bophut

84320 Koh Samui, Suratthani, Thailand

Tel: +66 7742 5085

Fax: +66 7742 5177

E-mail: [email protected]

They will also need to do a civil ceremony for the marriage to be valid. This is a fairly simple affair although the documents are all in thai so you may want a translator. Also, be sure they have the required documentation proving they are free to marry.

If you just want a simple ceremony with local monks you will need to talk with someone from the area you plan to have the wedding. Hopefully there's someone here who can help you with that.

Good luck

cv

First thing to note is that a Thai Buddhist wedding takes place in the home of a relative, not at the wat. There can be offerings given at a wat, but the actual ceremony -which mixes animism and Buddhism, with lots of tying of bai sii (sacred white thread) - is held in a private home. Usually there are not only a few monks present, but also an elder in the local community as well.

There are different versions of this ceremony according to the region, too. Northern Thai weddings are pretty different from central Thai weddings, for example.

Any wat can arrange the ceremony but the best way to approach it is through the bride-to-be's family.

The ceremony itself is not legally binding. For that 'hitch' the couple must register their marriage at the local district office. There is no ceremony involved in the registration, other than signing documents, etc. (no 'justice of the peace' oath, etc)

When you get to Koh Chang contact Klong Prao temple. For a donation they'll provide the monks you need. You'll need a Thai who knows how to organise everything though if you plan on doing it on the cheap.

I know a couple who had a wedding party on the beach at New year. Nothing formal - no monks - but they had a wedding dress and the backpacker resort they were staying at went out of their way to lay on a mock ceremony, free food etc.

If you want it done properyl stay at a posh resort - Amari etc - and they'll take care of the arrangements for you.