Evaluate My Photo

lifeincnx

Great shot! Any objections if my wife paints it? I understand you are suppose to get permission to paint someone else's photo.

thanks

I would be flattered. If she does decide to paint one I would love to see the artistic outcome (maybe a scan), so PM me. Enjoy.

Great shot! Any objections if my wife paints it? I understand you are suppose to get permission to paint someone else's photo.

thanks

I would be flattered. If she does decide to paint one I would love to see the artistic outcome (maybe a scan), so PM me. Enjoy.

Thanks Nomad, will be happy to send you a scan when it is done. It will be a while she is working on something else right now and does not go very fast but IMHO nice work.

Thanks

Nomad.... Great shot. Nice to see good composition on a non-posed natural situation. Your photo gives a real sense of the very different culture and environment that we have here.

Nomad.... Great shot. Nice to see good composition on a non-posed natural situation. Your photo gives a real sense of the very different culture and environment that we have here.

Thanks for the feedback. I did feel a real sense of being "in a magical moment" and very alive.

Thanks for the feedback. I did feel a real sense of being "in a magical moment" and very alive.

That really came through in the photo of the boat up against the floats....... When I get a photo like that, I feel pretty good, but for me, that is about once a decade!

Taken around 6:00 in the morning on the river just outside of Amphawa. No tripod.

when i downloaded the first photo from the thumbnail……. as the image appeared I thought how wonderful the image was and the boat so unusual and cute….. then the strong horizontal line of the roped floats appeared providing a shocking barrier and stopping the me from enjoying the subject of the image…. You cannot really crop it out unless you crop the top off too. Did you include the roped floats on purpose?

before I make any comments about the second pic., with the risk of offending khun Win’s sensibilities by using words such as crappy and soulless....... if you are interested, would you please tell me what appeals to you about this picture, what did you see, what was the idea when you looked at the boat on the river?..... then maybe I could offer some constructive comments

Edited by yumidesign

Taken around 6:00 in the morning on the river just outside of Amphawa. No tripod.

when i downloaded the first photo from the thumbnail……. as the image appeared I thought how wonderful the image was and the boat so unusual and cute….. then the strong horizontal line of the roped floats appeared providing a shocking barrier and stopping the me from enjoying the subject of the image…. You cannot really crop it out unless you crop the top off too. Did you include the roped floats on purpose?

before I make any comments about the second pic., with the risk of offending khun Win's sensibilities by using words such as crappy and soulless....... if you are interested, would you please tell me what appeals to you about this picture, what did you see, what was the idea when you looked at the boat on the river?..... then maybe I could offer some constructive comments

Well, since you already used words such as "crappy and soulless" it's rather pointless to reply. That said, I'll consider the source. The shot is what is is and was... just a moment. Monks and everyone else cross over the floats to get to the homes here in Thailand so its not unusual to see. I had a long shot included as well. Others enjoyed this tight shot so there is not much more to say. You either like it or you don't.

I find both shots a little flat and lifeless BUT it is there in post processing.

In the first shot I find the temple reflections disturbing - my eyes keep wandering off to them

Quite reasonable compostion but I do feel the first shot could have been framed a little better to move the monk up into the frame. This would have then lost the floating bouys which are a distraction. Their presence "halts" the movement of the raft - if you see what I mean.

Anyway, here's how much more detail and life there is available in the shots (imho of course :) )

Edited by The Vulcan

I find both shots a little flat and lifeless BUT it is there in post processing.

In the first shot I find the temple reflections disturbing - my eyes keep wandering off to them

Quite reasonable compostion but I do feel the first shot could have been framed a little better to move the monk up into the frame. This would have then lost the floating bouys which are a distraction. Their presence "halts" the movement of the raft - if you see what I mean.

Anyway, here's how much more detail and life there is available in the shots (imho of course :) )

I like what you did. What technique did you use in the long shot? It looks like you eliminated some of the noise in the sky above the trees as well. Love the detail you brought out in the buildings. The only post prod issue I have is that these both scenes now appear to have been taken much later in the day than at 6:00 a.m., when I took them. On the closeup shot I did have one with the monk spot on and sans floats but, of course, it was turned out very oft. And so it goes. Thanks again.

I like what you did. What technique did you use in the long shot? It looks like you eliminated some of the noise in the sky above the trees as well. Love the detail you brought out in the buildings. The only post prod issue I have is that these both scenes now appear to have been taken much later in the day than at 6:00 a.m., when I took them. On the closeup shot I did have one with the monk spot on and sans floats but, of course, it was turned out very oft. And so it goes. Thanks again.

I used "neat image" for noise reduction.

CS3 for levels and curves and contrast mask. Adjusted gamma and contrast. PK Sharpener to finish.

I realised you were trying to retain the early morning feel, but I couldn't figure how to keep that "look" and liven upo the shot. (bit thick at times)

Hope that helps

CS3 for levels and curves and contrast mask. Adjusted gamma and contrast. PK Sharpener to finish.

I realised you were trying to retain the early morning feel, but I couldn't figure how to keep that "look" and liven upo the shot. (bit thick at times)

Hope that helps

Yes, thanks. Do you use the stand alone version of neat image or the CS3 plug in version? I see there's a full run demo Win 32 version for download so I'll try it.

Hope that helps

Yes, thanks. Do you use the stand alone version of neat image or the CS3 plug in version? I see there's a full run demo Win 32 version for download so I'll try it.

I use the CS3 plug-in BUT I used the standalone version for some time whilst evaluating it - academic which one you use. What's more important is LEARNING to use it properly. Once you've sussed this it's a great little programme.

Well, since you already used words such as "crappy and soulless" it's rather pointless to reply. That said, I'll consider the source. The shot is what is is and was... just a moment. Monks and everyone else cross over the floats to get to the homes here in Thailand so its not unusual to see. I had a long shot included as well. Others enjoyed this tight shot so there is not much more to say. You either like it or you don't.

looks like my attempt at being humorous failed.......

Seeing that everyone in the room, particularly the author, but excepting mr grumpy, thinks this a good photo……. I will use this image as an example of what is a ‘good’ photo ………..

post-34511-1242961036_thumb.jpg

why is this so.

In the composition there is an appealing intrinsic balance of the elements that make up the whole. The shape of the combined elements make this so. Half close your eyes, look at the image and see that there is no strong visual pull in any direction within the frame, the objects are in sympathy with one another

The vertical lines of the bell frame are parallel with the side of the frame

The view selected provides a strong perspective leading the viewer through the image to the people in the misty background

Right light. The soft misty, even light suits the spiritual nature of the subject

The internal framing in the shot is provided by the strong black graphic of the silhouette of the tree creating two pictures in one

If you agree with all of some of the above can you tell me how your second picture compares

To create a ‘good’ picture its what you decide not to include that’s important.

To create a ‘great’ picture its how you combine all of the above to make the usual look extraordinary

So... what is it about the second shot of yours that you like?????????

I find the line of floats really hurts the closeup shot, I just didn't mention it. I see no big problem with the wide shot though, perhaps the boat is a little low in the frame. No big deal though.

Which image are you wishing to discuss Yumi and what don't you like?

I find the line of floats really hurts the closeup shot, I just didn't mention it. I see no big problem with the wide shot though, perhaps the boat is a little low in the frame. No big deal though.

Personally I preferred my wide angle shot but included the close up soley for the stoic determination seen on the aged monk's face surrounded by tranquility. As mentioned before I had a shot sans floats but it was soft (i.e. out of focus). So it was the proverbial shot that got away.

• 2 weeks later...

If the cap fits ……

I assume that you are being deliberately obtuse as is your want……

why not use plain english so everyone can enjoy your ideas, rather than hiding behind linguistic rubbish

Nice to see you been positive yumi, however the tree really does dominate the shot, if it had been taken ahead of the tree then the bells would have appeared to run seemless from the left and maybe shot lower would have improved the perspective.

Its not a great shot but kan win it is a very good one. I love the misty mood makes me think of yorkshire and the old home.

post-67315-1244270556_thumb.jpg