Thaksin To Be Indicted For Lese Majeste

churchill

The police on Thursday has resolved that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra committed lese majeste.

The committee, comprising representatives from the Metropolitan Police Bureau, the Central Investigation Bureau and the Office of Information and Communication Technology, held a meeting to deliberate on Thaksin's lese majeste charge.

Police Special Branch chief Theeradech Rodpho-thong chaired the meeting which lasted about an hour.

Continued at

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/14...of-lese-majestepostlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 14/05/09

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The police on Thursday has resolved that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra committed lese majeste.

The committee, comprising representatives from the Metropolitan Police Bureau, the Central Investigation Bureau and the Office of Information and Communication Technology, held a meeting to deliberate on Thaksin's lese majeste charge.

Police Special Branch chief Theeradech Rodpho-thong chaired the meeting which lasted about an hour.

Continued at

-- Bangkok Post 14/05/09

Sorry to be pedantic, but shouldn't the title read 'Thaksin charged with Lese Majeste'? It needs a court to find him guilty.

Continued at

-- Bangkok Post 14/05/09

Sorry to be pedantic, but shouldn't the title read 'Thaksin charged with Lese Majeste'? It needs a court to find him guilty.

its not pedantic, its a good point.

in fact the bkk post article says he was charged, not guilty.

the police must respond to any accusations of LM , otherwise, they could be considered to be disrespectful . they are under pressure from anti-thaksin groups to do this .

Edited by mc2

charge him with a crime that most people see as deplorable

this takes away any support that the red shirts give him

no red shirt can now support him if he is charged and found guilty

which will happen as he cannot defend himself nor attend court

they might as well have just printed thaksin covicted of Lese Majeste same difference

any red shirt who supports him will be doing so at a huge risk to themselves

supporting someone who has been found guilty of Lese Majeste is not a good idea is it

PastEgo

i am sure that a special case will be made by the goverment to try him in his absence

it has been done before in other countries not for Lese Majeste but other crimes

laws can be changed where there is a will

or at least an exception made

after all he is going to come back to defend himself is he not

PastEgo

I like to discuss more on this LM subject. But think again, I better not. It is against the rule in TV, and against the law in Thailand. I don't want to spend my next half life in Bangkok Hilton.

Form the forum rules:

2) Not to express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation and comments of a political nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family. Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban.

So you can discus LM, but keep the royal family out of it! We will moderate this subject very strict.

there have been many cases in other countries where those who control the country will bring about any and all force to bear to remove any person or persons who are seen as a threat to their control

not for a direct comparison look at the erosion of freedom in the united states and the united kingdom for supposedly free countries with a free press and free speach

now you can be locked up for god knows how long without trial because you are a terrorist

lets look at thailand

hmm who gets to be a lawyer a judge a doctor a member of parliment

yes it is your average poor guy sending his one and only to the best university money can buy by ploughing the field of some wealthy landowner

so your average supreme court judge incidentally member of the hiso clique

if the prime minister asked for a ruling on making an exception of bringing to trial a very bad ex prime minister -- who so frightened the hiso clique they had to call in the military -- in absence

he is go up against the people who threw him out of office who got him charged him with Lese Majeste who are scaerd of him

of course he has not got a chance in hel_l

Mmmmm. This looks like an attempt to divert attention from the embarrassing flop that was the summit, and the then postponed summit.

To be honest its a very weak charge. I doubt many people will be fooled by it.

They (The Police) need good evidence against TS, if they can prove it beyond reasonable doubt then the Red Shirts will lose interest in him, and things might quiet down again.

But getting proof and showing the Thai People the proof, is going to be difficult

well its not the first time this particular law has been abused and it wont be the last.

That's true. Thaksin himself often used trumped up LM charges to silent his critics.

You know what they say about living by the sword?

Beano makes a good point, and although I don't know how this may progress through the courts yet whilst Thaksin is absent, I feel that PastEgo is pretty much spot on with the reasoning of all of this. It would cut Thaksin off at the knees and isolate him and his entire family from any possibility of support.

They (The Police) need good evidence against TS, if they can prove it beyond reasonable doubt then the Red Shirts will lose interest in him, and things might quiet down again.

But getting proof and showing the Thai People the proof, is going to be difficult

not at all....the citation says that the alleged offence was in interviews given to news agencies in mid April.

So, its little more effort than getting the articles and reading them. The Police say they'll file them on friday

Can we do that? Can we wait one day before the Police files that evidence and we declare him guilty?

So, we're all agreed then. We won't wait and read the evidence. He has guilt written all over him.

Lets light the torches and go and set fire to Baron Von Shinawatra's castle.

Mmmmm. This looks like an attempt to divert attention from the embarrassing flop that was the summit, and the then postponed summit.

Well, I'll tell you one thing.

Only red shirt zomboids will believe the kind of twisted retelling of history you just tried. How convenient you failed to mention the attempt at violent revolution openly led by CONVICTED CRIMINAL FUGITIVE THAKSIN in Bangkok over Songkran. Nice try, actually, not a nice try.

I like to discuss more on this LM subject. But think again, I better not. It is against the rule in TV, and against the law in Thailand. I don't want to spend my next half life in Bangkok Hilton.

Form the forum rules:

2) Not to express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation and comments of a political nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family. Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban.

So you can discus LM, but keep the royal family out of it! We will moderate this subject very strict.

You must be joking right. How can I discuss LM law without mentioning the royal family?

Thaksin will always be a hero to many people, come what may. Whatever happens any Prime Minister will be looking over their shoulder for him.

Which is what this PM is doing right now, instead of concentrating on the economy, and er, providing security for foreign leaders.

Well, I'll tell you one thing.

Only red shirt zomboids will believe the kind of twisted retelling of history you just tried. How convenient you failed to mention the attempt at violent revolution openly led by CONVICTED CRIMINAL FUGITIVE THAKSIN in Bangkok over Songkran. Nice try, actually, not a nice try.

Of course the current PM and other people that I will not name have tried to blacken this good man's name. But believe me the zomboids may be zomboids but theres a lot of them. And they d'ont have any rights, ie when they vote and then they are told to piss off, we d'ont like the result so f off.

He did a lot of good for the economy. The army ran it into the ground. This PM can't organise proper security. His government ran a full term. The druggies got what was coming to them.

He's bad, but there are worse in Thailand.