Thaksin To Be Indicted For Lese Majeste

churchill

I like to discuss more on this LM subject. But think again, I better not. It is against the rule in TV, and against the law in Thailand. I don't want to spend my next half life in Bangkok Hilton.

Form the forum rules:

2) Not to express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation and comments of a political nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family. Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban.

So you can discus LM, but keep the royal family out of it! We will moderate this subject very strict.

You must be joking right. How can I discuss LM law without mentioning the royal family?

That is what the rule says. I think I could come up with a crative way of discussing it.

Be aware such comments as yours could also be considered an infraction of the rules for questioning a moderators action.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok Post writes today

"Special Branch chief Theeradet Rodphothong, who chaired the meeting, said Thaksin's interviews with foreign media on April 12 and 13 constituted lese majeste.

Thaksin demanded through Britain-based Sky News and the Financial Times that His Majesty the King intervene in political unrest in Thailand or people would be killed. He said the King was the only person who could fix the problem."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1432...of-lese-majeste

That's it? :)

well its not the first time this particular law has been abused and it wont be the last.

That's true. Thaksin himself often used trumped up LM charges to silent his critics.

You know what they say about living by the sword?

so you acknowledge that the charges are trumped up against Thaksin ? good.

This is a moment of truth for Abhisit, who said he doesn't want the LM law to be abused.

After his assurances of security at the summit and now this ridiculous charge, does anyone actually believe him anymore ?

"Special Branch chief Theeradet Rodphothong, who chaired the meeting, said Thaksin's interviews with foreign media on April 12 and 13 constituted lese majeste.

Thaksin demanded through Britain-based Sky News and the Financial Times that His Majesty the King intervene in political unrest in Thailand or people would be killed. He said the King was the only person who could fix the problem."

That's it? :D

its ridiculous, isn't it. :)

just goes to show how desperate these people are.

The charges are frivolous.

But that doesn't mean that in the stacked legal system of Thailand he won't be found guilty. To add to all his other convictions - the magnitude of which which seem to bely the accusation of him being the most wicked and corrupt Thai of all time.

Still it gives the international press more with which to laugh at Thailand, and gives the expats the opportunity to press caps lock when typing 'convicted'.

so you acknowledge that the charges are trumped up against Thaksin ? good.

This is a moment of truth for Abhisit, who said he doesn't want the LM law to be abused.

After his assurances of security at the summit and now this ridiculous charge, does anyone actually believe him anymore ?

No one is saying that the charges against Thaksin are "trumped up" - it is just that the allegations/charge (which is factually correct) seems a bit weak to throw at him, at this stage.

Back to my earlier comment, he will not have the guts to come back and face the charge, so what is the practical purpose of this move.

He would never have the balls to do it but if Thaksin came back to answer such a fairly tepid charge he might come out of it smelling of roses - IF, he also did a deal or served part his 2 year sentence.

That's it? :D

its ridiculous, isn't it. :)

To your non-Thai thinking, perhaps it seems that way.

But then, do we even know all the evidence against him or are we limited to thinking that a single sentence in a single newspaper is all the evidence there is against him?

just goes to show how desperate these people are.

or how little you understand.

Again, have you made been privy to all the evidence that the charge is based upon?

But that doesn't mean that in the stacked legal system of Thailand he won't be found guilty.

You may wish to take a break from your review of all the evidence and take a peek at Forum Rule # 15.

Not sure that this has any particular PRACTICAL purpose ??

Anyone have any views on the strategic thinking here ?

Well it is one more nail in his box.

BKKPost =

Thaksin demanded through Britain-based Sky News and the Financial Times that

'His Majesty the King intervene in political unrest in Thailand or people would be killed.'

A particularly poorly conceived sentence.

Since it goes counter to 60 years or more of SPECIFIC royal prerogative and is beyond presumptive.

Completely ignoring protocol issues, this was over the edge and no question.

This quotes a PUBLISHED synopsis of Thaksin's statement, not actual words.

Not sure if he MUST return for one of these cases for it to proceed.

It does show his old crony's in the police force NOW find former

Police Lt. Col. Thaksin has crossed the bounds of decency for his own ends..

It squarely puts him against the 'highest level of society',

and counter to the prevailing love of the predominance of people in the country.

----

Just his being charged with this is a major PR loss in the eyes of the average Thai of any age.

PS. Mario2008,

I am NOT intentionally breaking the forum rules, but if you disagree please delete the post.

I am NOT intending to contravene you rules. IMO I believe I have stayed in bounds,

but if you disagree IYO, please understand it was unintentional...

Edited by PeaceBlondie
As requested by poster, edited as seemed necessary. PeaceBlondie

But that doesn't mean that in the stacked legal system of Thailand he won't be found guilty. To add to all his other convictions - the magnitude of which which seem to bely the accusation of him being the most wicked and corrupt Thai of all time.

Still it gives the international press more with which to laugh at Thailand, and gives the expats the opportunity to press caps lock when typing 'convicted'.

Notice it is the police who are bringing the charges. Then think about what you have said. Many games here. I seriously doubt the PM really supports this move. Others in the government may. So may some reds.

Notice it is the police who are bringing the charges. Then think about what you have said. Many games here. I seriously doubt the PM really supports this move. Others in the government may. So may some reds.

Thaksin's protests about the Thai courts/law being biased against him may of suddenly gained a bit more weight in the eyes of the international media thanks to this one.

I see they've been muilling it over for weeks and the panel decision was split.

In the end I bet it was "We can't let him get away with this" feeling rather than "let's get the bastard".

Thaksin has mentioned monarchy several times in connection to his red revolution, that is bound to break some rules, no surprise here.

Oh whoopee , are we in some kind of psychedelic race to the bottom with our Western neighbour.

Why not drag the guilty Western media outlets into it for the finale.

I am sure we could create a new hub from this but the title might not be too flattering.

But then, do we even know all the evidence against him or are we limited to thinking that a single sentence in a single newspaper is all the evidence there is against him?

do you have any reason to doubt the report from the bkk post, any evidence to counter the basis for the police charge ? or are you just playing the doubting thomas because you have run out of real arguments ?

BKKPost =

Thaksin demanded through Britain-based Sky News and the Financial Times that

'His Majesty the King intervene in political unrest in Thailand or people would be killed.'

A particularly poorly conceived sentence.

Since it goes counter to 60 years or more of SPECIFIC royal prerogative and is beyond presumptive.

Completely ignoring protocol issues, this was over the edge and no question.

This quotes a PUBLISHED synopsis of Thaksin's statement, not actual words.

Precisely. It is not a quote.

The reporter used the word 'demanded' . Sky News may be on the hook for LM unless they can come up with the audio file or reporter's notes showing that has TS using the word 'demanded' .

Again, have you made been privy to all the evidence that the charge is based upon?

Yes.

I must have missed the mention of foreigners attending the meeting over the evidence between

representatives from the Metropolitan Police Bureau, the Central Investigation Bureau and the Office of Information and Communication Technology

To be honest its a very weak charge.

What specifically about the charge in this case is weak?

For one thing, if there was said anything even close to substantial disrespectfull during any of the interviews given during Songran, you and your fellow goon-squad would have been all over it. Instead it boiled down to sniping his bad english and "uh uh".

My guess is someone have found some breach in formal titling and formality and posted a complaint about LM. It doesnt even have to be anyone powerfull. As I understand it anyone can post a complaint about anyone, and police cant ignore it even how groundless the accusation is. Didnt they charge Sondhi for repeating remarks from an opposition leader? This was of course, and rightly cleared later, but given Thaksins position with the current powerhouse, well, he will not be cleared as easy. Thats the other beauty of this law. Its all secret. Repeating the crime in any reports would be LM... So all you'll even know is that your charged, and then either cleared or found guilty. And anyone on the outside would be left to speculate to exactly why...

The LM law is the atomic bomb of thai politics, and someone decided to drop it on Thaksin.

I see they've been muilling it over for weeks and the panel decision was split.

In the end I bet it was "We can't let him get away with this" feeling rather than "let's get the bastard".

i think it would be split between the lunatics: "lets get the bastard" and the sensible ones: "the charges are weak , this will only make a mockery of the lm law"

do you have any reason to doubt the report from the bkk post, any evidence to counter the basis for the police charge ?

Do I have reason to believe that the total of all the evidence was more than 2 sentences in 2 different publications (admitting my earlier 1 in 1 was in error) that was reported by the Bangkok Post? Yes. I think what Bangkok Post published in their very short article was just a very small portion of the total amount of evidence that was considered.

Edited by sriracha john

For one thing, if there was said anything even close to substantial disrespectfull during any of the interviews given during Songran, you and your fellow goon-squad would have been all over it.

It didn't go unnoticed - Thaksin asking for royal intervention to solve the crisis, that much was reported in local media. If there are LM charges coming with this - he got what he deserved.

do you have any reason to doubt the report from the bkk post, any evidence to counter the basis for the police charge ?

Do I have reason to believe that the total of all the evidence was more than 2 sentences in 2 different publications (admitting my earlier 1 in 1 was in error) that was reported by the Bangkok Post? Yes. I think what Bangkok Post published in their very short article was just a very small portion of the total amount of evidence that was considered.

So we agree then John, that the Sky News report that conjures up the word 'demand' - but not in a quote, is a frivolous charge of LM. ("I never said that" being the obvious defence)

Voice files and reporter's notes would have to be produced in court, as it would need to be sub poenaed. So as an exhibit, it wouldn't necessarily appear in the charge sheet.

Edited by Journalist

The charge does not get much more serious for a Thai. If you go outside now and shoot someone dead or attack them with a knife, you will go to the police station and even if you admit the murder, or you did it 2m in front of a policeman, if you pay about 500k baht, you will be out on bail (it could be a year or two until the hearing). Many of your friends may stick around and offer you some sort of support. However, If you commit LM you have more chance of platting fog than ever getting out on bail, it will never happen, and any friends or colleagues will not be able to disassociate themselves from you quickly enough. This is going to be a tricky one for Thaksin

"i think" is hardly a good reason.

come back when u have a REAL reason.

The charge does not get much more serious for a Thai.

Tell this to Sulak Sriwalaksa, he's been charged 18 times and counting, still his opinions are all over Thai media, he is one of the most respected social critics here.

And you don't see yellows disowning Sondhi after he was actually convicted of LM.

Thaskin Thaksin Thaksin

It's Crazy this Obsession with Thaksin. Forget him and get on with the more importaint issues

HE IS NOT Coming back anytime soon. He cannot he does not have a vaid Passport

IF the thai Gov did manage to get him back What Then ??

Jail ?? More Riots civil unrest ??

They don't want him back. So they are throwing the book at him, Scare tactics ??

Very clever