What Type Of Oil Do Isaan Families Cook With When Stir Frying?

rockyysdt

I understand that many Thai dishes are stir fried in woks & frying pans.

When I first started stir frying I learned that many Chinese use peanut oil due to its ability to heat to a very high temperature without smoking.

Later on I personally switched to extra virgin olive oil in most of my cooking and salad preparations for its health benefits.

I often wander, is there an oil that Thai & Isaan people have traditionally cooked with?

Which oil is predominately used these days?

What do you use?

Thais but not necessarily Isaan use peanut oil and soybean oil for the high heat stir frying. Sesame oil for a little more nutty flavor than peanut oil but can turn rancid if left out.

The cheapest they can buy or the one that is there next to the cooker :):D

Yes, the packaging is quite unique...... plastic bag with the Farang Proof rubber band closure! :D

We're trying to sort this one out right now Bob. One of the boys has put a link to a guide on how the rubber band thing works.

Here you go.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Gripe-t26527...72#entry2738172

The cheapest they can buy or the one that is there next to the cooker :):D

Yes, the packaging is quite unique...... plastic bag with the Farang Proof rubber band closure! :D

We're trying to sort this one out right now Bob. One of the boys has put a link to a guide on how the rubber band thing works.

Here you go.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Gripe-t26527...72#entry2738172

Palm oil seems the most common in local shops. That is what we use, unless occasionally I pay more and get sunflower oil.

Palm oil seems the most common in local shops. That is what we use, unless occasionally I pay more and get sunflower oil.

Palm oil has had some bad press of recent times.

It seems this oil is associated with high incidence of cardio vascular issues.

There are more recent reports that it's not that bad, but these were led by research done by the palm oil industry themselves.

In a nutshell, do Thai locals use the cheapest oil available?

Edited by rockyysdt

Palm oil is certainly the most commonly used oil in all the cheap food places in Bangkok (and probably elsewhere) because it saves the shop a couple of baht per bottle. I think most Thais are aware that it may not be good for health, but if they can save 50 satang per dish...