I'm Innocent: Thaksin

Guest Reimar

Guest Reimar

'I'm innocent': Thaksin

By The Nation

Published on May 16, 2009

Fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday issued a statement insisting on his innocence in light of police proceedings to indict him for lese majeste.

"Although I am living in exile abroad, I am a Thai citizen who is staunchly loyal to Their Majesties the King and Queen," Thaksin said in the statement released in Bangkok by Noppadon Pattama, his legal adviser.

He said the accusation that he had insulted the monarchy was unfair and contrary to reality.

None of his remarks had been intended to offend the monarchy, he said.

Thaksin said he fully respected the monarchy and understood it to be a most revered institution in Thailand, beloved by every Thai citizen.

A smear campaign exists to persecute him and paint him as disloyal, he said, adding that public prosecutors had thus far dropped all charges related to lese majeste.

The ousted prime minister reminded all parties concerned that national reconciliation could not be realised if injustice prevailed and said his opponents should stop trying to cement his political downfall with trumped-up charges.

He vowed to fight to prove his innocence to the full extent of the law.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation May 16. 2009

Guest Reimar

Police to seek help from Foreign Ministry to translate Thaksin's interview

The Central Investigation Bureau chief confirmed Friday that police will make a case against fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on lese Majesty charge.

CIB Commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Thangai Prassajaksattru said a committee in charge of monitoring news that damage reputation of the Royal Family decided that Thaksin had allegedly made lese majesty statement in his recent interview with a foreign website.

Thangai said the interview will be translated into Thai before the CIB will formally begin the case against Thaksin so the CIB will seek help from the Foreign Ministry for the translation.

Thaksin Friday issued a statement saying he had never defamed the Royal Family because he respects the Monarchy like all other Thais.

The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation May 16. 2009