Need A Good Wheelbarrow

I'll try this one again. Does anyone know of a supplier that has a good quality wheelbarrow - as in a solid builders barrow with an inflatable tyre, or something similar. I'm tired of the tin stuff here that falls apart. Also some good quality garden tools that don't cost an arm and a leg? I know there are good lightweight barrows exported from China, but haven't seen them here. Thanks

I'll try this one again. Does anyone know of a supplier that has a good quality wheelbarrow - as in a solid builders barrow with an inflatable tyre, or something similar. I'm tired of the tin stuff here that falls apart. Also some good quality garden tools that don't cost an arm and a leg? I know there are good lightweight barrows exported from China, but haven't seen them here. Thanks

Toolpro seem to have more quality tools than most , many are imported from Europe and GB. They have a wheelbarrow which is better than anything else I have seen here (1500 baht) but it is still sub standard compared to a good builders barrow .

Toolpro seem to have more quality tools than most , many are imported from Europe and GB. They have a wheelbarrow which is better than anything else I have seen here (1500 baht) but it is still sub standard compared to a good builders barrow .

Thanks Ozzy I'll try Toolpro

IMO, the cheapest junk tools back home are better than the best stuff available here (Isaan, sticks).

High-quality wooden-handled steel spades and rakes are very rare.

I've yet to find a wheelbarrow that isn't destined for the scrap heap in six months.

Lawn rakes, mowers, edgers, clippers, hedge shears -- mostly all garbage.

On ocassion I've seen these items in CM, BKK or Pats, they're 2x or 3x the reasonable price. Ahhh, luxury items. :)

Agree with Ozzy, Toolpro might have 'em.

Edited by Texpat

It sure would be great to find a wheelbarrow with a real inflatable tire & bearings not made in China , Russia or on Thailand.A sealed bearing package would last a little longer than 2-30 days! I am going to bring some real shovels from the U.S. next month. I have welded this (supposedly American spade - Made in China) 9 times now. It weighs 3-4 times what it used to.

Edited by Beardog

It sure would be great to find a wheelbarrow with a real inflatable tire & bearings not made in China , Russia or on Thailand.A sealed bearing package would last a little longer than 2-30 days! I am going to bring some real shovels from the U.S. next month. I have welded this (supposedly American spade - Made in China) 9 times now. It weighs 3-4 times what it used to.

Yep ,in Western countries even babies prams have pneumatic tyres but I have searched for years here for something suitable without success.

Most good builders barrows have moulded plastic wheels nowadays ,if these could be sourced (along with suitable tyres) building a good barrow would be a cinch, suitable heavy gauge bucket and timber handles could be made here pretty cheaply to western standards.

It just beggars belief that Asians have not woken up to the benefits of a good well balanced 6 cub foot wheelbarrow.

Edited by ozzydom

I had thought to bring home a decent spade from the Septic Isle next month which my elder brother has been saving for me. I don't believe they would let it on the plane as hold baggage [& I wasn't intending to bring it as cabin baggage(!)] so I am interested in what you think your chances are from the USA. Best of luck, though.

rgds,

You can buy the spade without handle and bring in as checked luggage, probably most other garden tools also and fashion the handle here. The handles they use here seem strong and long lasting, more so than the implement with exception of the hoes.

You can buy the spade without handle and bring in as checked luggage, probably most other garden tools also and fashion the handle here. The handles they use here seem strong and long lasting, more so than the implement with exception of the hoes.

Toolpro had English made spades complete with hickory handle last time I looked,but not cheap.

The Thai sales guy actually asked me what they are used for. :)

• Haha 1

OK, now I'm on a mission now to find a good wheelbarrow. My brother in law in Oz has one ( chinese import like most stuff)but it really is good. I expect made for export only. I will try to find the source and let you all know the details.

• 4 months later...

Toolpro had English made spades complete with hickory handle last time I looked,but not cheap.

The Thai sales guy actually asked me what they are used for. :)

Guys,

Where is Toolpro in Thailand ? I too am looking for good quality implements etc

• 4 weeks later...
I'd love to have the wheelbarrow franchise here in Thailand. They are almost 100% guaranteed not to last a month. I've stopped buying them and bought a used excavator instead to save money............

An excavator to replace a wheel barrow, man that's pretty radical; I guess you have some serious soil moving to do.

I too miss the 6 cu ft contractors wheel barrows that I've moved hundreds of tons of material with in the past. But you know, I've gotten used to the two-wheel tilt blue or brown jobs that we get here, and mine seems to be lasting indefinitely with light garden use. But I do check the funky bolt pivots regularly and keep it clean and lubed and under cover when not in use.

How about one of these power wheel barrows? sorry for the poor picture quality, snapped it at dusk out the window of my pickup. But you can't dig with it like an excavator.

post-74166-1257930643_thumb.jpg

True Value also has lots of good quality stuff.

Believe I saw the big manly wheel barrels there with large wood handles and inflatable tire.

The round point fiberglass handle and square point wood handle shovels I bought their years ago have been used and abused and are still in perfect condition, unlike the half of dozen local made short handle soft steel shovels I been through shoveling sh!t.

Is there actually a "True Value" hardware store in LOS?

That is a American Chain. I've never seen one here in 20 years.

Well, not in BKK or Pathum.

Yeah, if so they do have some decent stuff.

Where are they? You have a url?

Perhaps they have decent garden & compost forks.

Cheers.

Is there actually a "True Value" hardware store in LOS?

That is a American Chain. I've never seen one here in 20 years.

Well, not in BKK or Pathum.

Yeah, if so they do have some decent stuff.

Where are they? You have a url?

Perhaps they have decent garden & compost forks.

Cheers.

It is quite easy to find information when you remember Google is your friend!

http://www.truevalue.co.th/location.php

There's one in Pattaya on Sukhuvit near Pattaya Tai Rd. It's expensive but sometimes it's just so frustrating to find exactly what I want so I go there. eg just bought a REAL red plastic gas container there last week

• 9 years later...
2 hours ago, Tagged said:

Anyone  found a good one yet? 

The key to a good wheelbarrow is the tyre.

Fat pneumatic tyres can be bought in global house and other big stores.

You will have to modify a local barrow.

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2009 at 3:36 PM, euca said:

I had thought to bring home a decent spade from the Septic Isle next month which my elder brother has been saving for me. I don't believe they would let it on the plane as hold baggage [& I wasn't intending to bring it as cabin baggage(!)] so I am interested in what you think your chances are from the USA. Best of luck, though.

rgds,

I have done it, I brought a spade with me from the uk, we rapped it up in bubble wrap with lots of tapes,the check-in took it no problem, but they did think it funny that a farang was taking a spade to Thailand.

I last brought a shovel with me, it had a wooden handle riveted on, took the rivet out removed the shaft and it fitted in my bag. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2009 at 9:21 PM, Beardog said:

It sure would be great to find a wheelbarrow with a real inflatable tire

It's not so much about the tire, although an inflatable tire would help. I think the problem is with the 2 inch bushing in combination with the 1 inch axle that makes the problems.

A fellow TV member, cooked, was kind enough in late 2017 to share this link with me. 

http://www.cromwell.co.th/index.html

You need to download the catalogue first though. 

They definitely have a wheelbarrow with pneumatic tire (page 781 in the catalogue) and, at THB 3,661, I can only assume it's good quality. 

Ordering from them is a little tricky. You email them the product name and order code, they reply telling you how much and how to pay. Then you pay. If they had an easier ordering method, i.e. put in shopping basket, go to check out and pay, I'd be broke by now as I'd be ordering stuff left, right and center from them. 

I don't mind paying more for good quality as I know I'll have it for years to come (assuming it doesn't grow legs and walk away). 

2 hours ago, djayz said:

A fellow TV member, cooked, was kind enough in late 2017 to share this link with me. 

http://www.cromwell.co.th/index.html

You need to download the catalogue first though. 

They definitely have a wheelbarrow with pneumatic tire (page 781 in the catalogue) and, at THB 3,661, I can only assume it's good quality. 

Ordering from them is a little tricky. You email them the product name and order code, they reply telling you how much and how to pay. Then you pay. If they had an easier ordering method, i.e. put in shopping basket, go to check out and pay, I'd be broke by now as I'd be ordering stuff left, right and center from them. 

I don't mind paying more for good quality as I know I'll have it for years to come (assuming it doesn't grow legs and walk away). 

I was thinking of bringing one from home, it would be same price, but for sure a good one! 

In my opinion the wheelbarrow in the Cromwell catalogue is not much use. If you are wheeling weeds and hay around, OK, but for concrete and bricks etc you need a low centre of gravity. I have shoved around enough concrete to sink the Titanic and can get quite passionate. 

I bought a cheap one at Thaiwatsadu a few years ago, which falls over backwards if you load onto the back (or unload from the front). When I got a puncture I had to grind off the bolts in order to remove the wheel . It is rusting a little now and will need to be replaced soon. 

The last one I bought (45 years ago) is still being used back home despite my throwing it at someone on a whim one time and having to replace a stave.  It cost about ฿7500.-  then, so...

DO NOT buy a solid tyre wheelbarrow.

karrette.jpg

Edited by cooked
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2009 at 10:12 AM, ozzydom said:

Yep ,in Western countries even babies prams have pneumatic tyres but I have searched for years here for something suitable without success.

Most good builders barrows have moulded plastic wheels nowadays ,if these could be sourced (along with suitable tyres) building a good barrow would be a cinch, suitable heavy gauge bucket and timber handles could be made here pretty cheaply to western standards.

It just beggars belief that Asians have not woken up to the benefits of a good well balanced 6 cub foot wheelbarrow.

The  majority of  wheelbarrows available here are dismally  designed and  made from  very light  materials.

I have one I bought approx  8 years ago and have repaired and  modified the  basic frame so it  does not simply  fall over  backwards or sideways when filled. At this moment in time it  about  ready  to completely  collapse due to  either  fatigue  or  rust.

At the time I bought it there were 4 options of the same item. Green  yellow or  red colour and  either a  solid rubber tyred wheel  or an inflatable which I opted for.

The  ONLY  part of  this  barrow that has  never  failed  is the wheel !

I would  come to the defense of Thais who generally shun the  demonstrably non functional  barrows usually  available and for that  matter even shovels.

Using  tools and  methods  THEY are  familiar with I  have seen to be as  efficient despite appearing  to be a physical torture.

• 3 weeks later...

Pneumatic tyres are unbelievably crap. Thry pushing on soil in the wet !! I bought one "only had yellow" from thaiwatsadu recently with inflated, much better, the barrow materiel thickness determined by colour, red thickest green thinnest. This store is closets to UK diy store type, others are pretty crap and will try to sell you anything except what you actually want. Meggahome is like being attacked by mosquitoes when you walk in.

7 hours ago, oldwelshman said:

Pneumatic tyres are unbelievably crap. Thry pushing on soil in the wet !! I bought one "only had yellow" from thaiwatsadu recently with inflated, much better, the barrow materiel thickness determined by colour, red thickest green thinnest. This store is closets to UK diy store type, others are pretty crap and will try to sell you anything except what you actually want. Meggahome is like being attacked by mosquitoes when you walk in.

EH? So you prefer solid rubber tyres? I probably pushed a wheelbarrow the distance between here and Europe, and I can see absolutely NO reason to prefer solid rubber tyres. In Thailand the barrows with pneumatic tyres that I have seen have had their wheel axle welded on, which makes it difficult to repair a puncture. (I had to grind the bolts off). 

On 5/23/2019 at 9:21 PM, Dumbastheycome said:

The  majority of  wheelbarrows available here are dismally  designed and  made from  very light  materials.

I have one I bought approx  8 years ago and have repaired and  modified the  basic frame so it  does not simply  fall over  backwards or sideways when filled. At this moment in time it  about  ready  to completely  collapse due to  either  fatigue  or  rust.

At the time I bought it there were 4 options of the same item. Green  yellow or  red colour and  either a  solid rubber tyred wheel  or an inflatable which I opted for.

The  ONLY  part of  this  barrow that has  never  failed  is the wheel !

I would  come to the defense of Thais who generally shun the  demonstrably non functional  barrows usually  available and for that  matter even shovels.

Using  tools and  methods  THEY are  familiar with I  have seen to be as  efficient despite appearing  to be a physical torture.

Yes.

I had English people working for me in Switzerland and even the good ones were incapable of using a long handled shovel properly, sowing a lawn or even thinking about turning a barrow around when it's empty (light) but waited until it had 70 litres (160 Kg) of concrete loaded. 

I did get the SIL to use a rake for gathering straw and hay, but he still prefers a forked stick to a pitchfork.