Someone Please Translate A Few Things For Me

fire and ice

Can some people please tell me what are these below phrases in English.

Please provide a literal translation as well as actual translation if you can:

1. buri (as in buri ram etc.. - does buri actually mean anything? or is it just some word for city/town?)

2. ทบ สลบ สไหล = tawb salop salie (what bargirls often say when they pretend-slap you across the face - I was told it meant a slap to the left & a slap to the right but salop means "unconscious" so it cant mean what I was told.

3. sanup sanun (heard on the radio - i think it has something to do with endorsing a product?)

4. antaloc - ?? joking??

5. any other "Anta+" words except for antalie (dangerous)

6. tan nung le, chan nun le, nun le - all i think the same, my girlfriend from Hat Yai says this all the time

7. tam aeng - working? working on a task??

8. ge ga - girlfreidn says it when complaining something is untidy or messy - what exactly does it mean?

Can some people please tell me what are these below phrases in English.

Please provide a literal translation as well as actual translation if you can:

1. buri (as in buri ram etc.. - does buri actually mean anything? or is it just some word for city/town?)

2. ทบ สลบ สไหล = tawb salop salie (what bargirls often say when they pretend-slap you across the face - I was told it meant a slap to the left & a slap to the right but salop means "unconscious" so it cant mean what I was told.

3. sanup sanun (heard on the radio - i think it has something to do with endorsing a product?)

4. antaloc - ?? joking??

5. any other "Anta+" words except for antalie (dangerous)

6. tan nung le, chan nun le, nun le - all i think the same, my girlfriend from Hat Yai says this all the time

7. tam aeng -  working? working on a task??

8.  ge ga - girlfreidn says it when complaining something is untidy or messy - what exactly does it mean?

1. "Buri" just means "city" or "place". The same exact word ends up in English, too, in city names like "Salisbury".

2. I think it just means to slap someone around.

3. Sanap Sanun means to "endorse" or "support".

4. "talok" means "funny".

5. None come to mind.

6. No idea.

7. Tam eng? "Do it oneself"

8. Ge Ga means something like "embarassed" or "awkward",

Whoa, lemme try.

1. Buri (Booree) = Cigarette

2. Tob Slob Slai = what you think it is rite "tob slob slai" it is a thai slang for slob slai make the words becoming big. like I'll slap you till you get crash face... lol

3. Snub Snun = Brought You By.

4. I'm not sure what is antaloc is. maybe you have a wrong spell. of joking it will be "lo len" if you were mean "Talok" that will be "funny"

Antapaan = kind of Mafia "bad boy"

5. sorry for number 6. I cannot read it. what is "tan"? i know only "Nun Lae "nun le" means "That is"

7. Tam Aeng = Making by myself "I made it bymyself"

8. Ge Ga = this I know, but I don't know how to said in English. but I can explain, Ge Ga is if she were on working and you standing beside her and she will feel annoying by you that you were standing there. and she will say you are Ge Ga, just to let you go away from her.

1, บุรี - city or town (spelt differently to cigarette)

2, ตบ - means slap. Not sure, don't know much slang, probably to slap around.

3, สนับสนุน - support

4, ตลก - funny

5, อัน - I think you mean the classifier 'an' used to classify bits/portions.

6, นั้นแหละ - there/that

7, ทำเอง - do yourself

8, เกะกะ - disorderly

Hope that helps

1.  "Buri" just means "city" or "place".  The same exact word ends up in English, too, in city names like "Salisbury".

No!

In English, the form is -polis, as in Mineapolis, Indianapolis. It also occurs in various guises as the final element of Naples, Constantinople/Istanbul and Sevastopol. The Eastern form will also be familiar to English speakers in Jodhpur and Singapore.

2.  I think it just means to slap someone around.

Your translation seems to be a euphemism. สลบไสล [M]sa[L]lop [M]sa[R]lai means 'to lose consciousness', so ตบสลบไสล has to be more like 'knock out' or 'beat unconscious'. 'Slap around' would be ตบตี [L]top [L]tii.

• Like 1

1.  "Buri" just means "city" or "place".  The same exact word ends up in English, too, in city names like "Salisbury".

No!

In English, the form is -polis, as in Mineapolis, Indianapolis. It also occurs in various guises as the final element of Naples, Constantinople/Istanbul and Sevastopol. The Eastern form will also be familiar to English speakers in Jodhpur and Singapore.

Your translation seems to be a euphemism. สลบไสล [M]sa[L]lop [M]sa[R]lai means 'to lose consciousness', so ตบสลบไสล has to be more like 'knock out' or 'beat unconscious'. 'Slap around' would be ตบตี [L]top [L]tii.

I think the meaning of the component parts has distanced itself from the phrase.

The meaning of the entire phrase is something like "bitch-slap you back and forth". If you analyze the component parts it suggests a stronger expression, but I have never heard it used in serious contexts.

3, สนับสนุน - support

Support is correct, but in the ad context, "sponsored" might be a more apt translation.

The entire expression is สนับสนุนโดย sanab sanun dooy - 'brought to you by' followed by the company or product name.

Thai has a strong affinity for alliterated two-word expressions as seen in "sanab sanun" and "salop salai". In some of these expressions, both words have their own meaning when used separately, but in many others, one of the words is just added for embellishment. Other languages also use this type of expressions, but not to the same extent as Thai.

Cf. bric-a-brac, argy-bargy, willy-nilly etc.

No!

Are you sure the "bury" in place names like Salisbury don't share the same root as "buri" in "Saraburi", etc. ? I could have sworn I read that somewhere.

No!

Are you sure the "bury" in place names like Salisbury don't share the same root as "buri" in "Saraburi", etc. ? I could have sworn I read that somewhere.

I am pretty sure you are correct.The link is through Sanskrit and Greek into Western european languages.

No!

I am pretty sure you are correct.The link is through Sanskrit and Greek into Western european languages.

The initial consonant demolishes the link.

The word บุรี comes from Sanskrit puri: 'city, stronghold', wherein there are also other forms pu:r and pura (neuter). That gives the link to Jodhpur and Singapore. The initial ​​ is a feature of Khmer pronunciation, borrowed by Thai.

Sanskrit had a bit of r/l instability. Occasionally /r/ became /l/, as in Thai โลหะ 'metal' and โลหิต 'blood', derived from Sanskrit and ultimately related to English red , French rouge etc. More frequently /l/ became /r/, as in Sanskrit cakra 'wheel', whence Thai จักร 'disc', but /l/ in English 'wheel', Greek 'kyklos'.

In Europe the words related to Sanskrit puri: are Greek polis 'city' and Lithuanian pilìs, Latvian pile 'fortified city, castle'. An inherited English representative would be something like 'fell', but the noun 'fell' is unlikely to be related. The words for 'city' seem to be related to the word for 'fill' (filling in ramparts?) - and the related words here include English fill, full, Latin ple:nus 'full' and Greek pimple:mi 'to fill'. Greek polys 'many' belongs here to.

By contrast, English -bury goes back to Old English byrig, dative singular of byrg, 'protected place' ( = German Burg). If it originally means ' high place' (think of hill-forts) and is thus related to 'berg' in iceberg and barrow (the mounds), the related words in Sanskrit are based on the root br.h, e.g. barhati 'to grow'. I can't think of any derivatives in Thai.

English b- normally corresponds to Sanskrit bh- (ภ), but the 'h' is lost before another 'h' in the same word (Grassman's law, as in Greek), whence such odd-seeming cognates as python (Greek) and buddha (Pali/Sanskrit). (These two words do have different suffixes.) The related Old English verb, beodan, 'offer, proclaim, announce., command, decree' has merged into Modern English bid.

Edited by Richard W

No!

The initial consonant demolishes the link.

The word บุรี comes from Sanskrit puri: 'city, stronghold', wherein there are also other forms pu:r and pura (neuter). That gives the link to Jodhpur and Singapore. The initial ​​ is a feature of Khmer pronunciation, borrowed by Thai.

Sanskrit had a bit of r/l instability. Occasionally /r/ became /l/, as in Thai โลหะ 'metal' and โลหิต 'blood', derived from Sanskrit and ultimately related to English red , French rouge etc. More frequently /l/ became /r/, as in Sanskrit cakra 'wheel', whence Thai จักร 'disc', but /l/ in English 'wheel', Greek 'kyklos'.

In Europe the words related to Sanskrit puri: are Greek polis 'city' and Lithuanian pilìs, Latvian pile 'fortified city, castle'. An inherited English representative would be something like 'fell', but the noun 'fell' is unlikely to be related. The words for 'city' seem to be related to the word for 'fill' (filling in ramparts?) - and the related words here include English fill, full, Latin ple:nus 'full' and Greek pimple:mi 'to fill'. Greek polys 'many' belongs here to.

By contrast, English -bury goes back to Old English byrig, dative singular of byrg, 'protected place' ( = German Burg). If it originally means ' high place' (think of hill-forts) and is thus related to 'berg' in iceberg and barrow (the mounds), the related words in Sanskrit are based on the root br.h, e.g. barhati 'to grow'. I can't think of any derivatives in Thai.

English b- normally corresponds to Sanskrit bh- (ภ), but the 'h' is lost before another 'h' in the same word (Grassman's law, as in Greek), whence such odd-seeming cognates as python (Greek) and buddha (Pali/Sanskrit). (These two words do have different suffixes.) The related Old English verb, beodan, 'offer, proclaim, announce., command, decree' has merged into Modern English bid.

What a lot of hot toddy.... :D:D

There may well be a link between the Thai "buri" and the English "bury"......after all the Poms will pinch anything.... :D:o

By contrast, English -bury goes back to Old English byrig, dative singular of byrg, 'protected place' ( = German Burg).  If it originally means ' high place'  (think of hill-forts) and is thus related to 'berg' in iceberg and barrow (the mounds), the related words in Sanskrit are based on the root br.h, e.g. barhati 'to grow'.  I can't think of any derivatives in Thai. 

The Sanskrit came out a bit odd because I omitted a slash. It should have appeared as

... the related words in Sanskrit are based on the root br.h, e.g. barhati 'to grow'.

I should have mentioned that Old English byrg gives Modern English borough, not that that would have stopped the ethnic abuse.

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess I certainly have a good idea on 'buri' now.

Im still curious if the ไสล (salie) part of ตบสลบไสล would mean anything on its own or what it literally means - even if it is not actually significant in the phrase's meaning. From the replies I gather it (literally) means: slap-unconscious-ไสล and am still curious about the last part.

The sanap-sanun phrase I heard as sanap-sanun-doi a lot on the radio but some thais were saying the 'doi' part was the name of a product/business they were endorsing - they seemed pretty clear on this but maybe they were being "thaipically inaccurate"? Also is the sanap part the same as in the sanap-sanook expression?

Ive heard antaloc a lot as well as taloc and both were used tp imply funny/joke etc... My GF is from Hat Yai - anyone knwo if there's a difference between antaloc and taloc?

My GF usually says 'nun le' in response to what someone has said - is this like a confirmation that what has just been said is correct? she also says 'chan nun le' but i think in a different context - I presume its the femael chan (I) word in front but maybe a different tone (in case im wrong).

The ge-ga I was after is definately 'disorderly' as this fits every context where she has used it (i thought it meant untidy but that didnt quite seme to fit) - any other translations offered dont apply to my question and are porbably a result of transliteration.

Thanks again.

Im still curious if the  ไสล (salie) part of ตบสลบไสล would mean anything on its own or what it literally means - even if it is not actually significant in the phrase's meaning. From the replies I gather it (literally) means: slap-unconscious-ไสล and am still curious about the last part.

The sanap-sanun phrase I heard as sanap-sanun-doi a lot on the radio but some thais were saying the 'doi' part was the name of a product/business they were endorsing - they seemed pretty clear on this but maybe they were being "thaipically inaccurate"? Also is the sanap part the same as in the sanap-sanook expression?

Ive heard antaloc a lot as well as taloc and both were used tp imply funny/joke etc... My GF is from Hat Yai - anyone knwo if there's a difference between antaloc and taloc?

My GF usually says 'nun le' in response to what someone has said - is this like a confirmation that what has just been said is correct? she also says 'chan nun le' but i think in a different context - I presume its the femael chan (I) word in front but maybe a different tone (in case im wrong).

The ge-ga I was after is definately 'disorderly' as this fits every context where she has used it (i thought it meant untidy but that didnt quite seme to fit) - any other translations offered dont apply to my question and are porbably a result of transliteration.

Thanks again.

'nan le' means 'right!', 'chan nun le' means 'I was right!'

ge-ga often means 'get in the way','awkward', as you are carrying 2 or 3 bags at the same time and are trying to get on a bus.

bannork

They're definitely inaccurate. "Doi" means "by". Sanap-sanun-doi means "sponsored by". Sanap-sanun is the verb, meaning to sponsor or support.

Man, I had told you that sanab sanun doi mean brough you by. Doi = by :o

and taloc "talok" mean funny

nun le = that is" or it can be also "alright" i don't know what is antaloc

Im still curious if the  ไสล (salie) part of ตบสลบไสล would mean anything on its own or what it literally means - even if it is not actually significant in the phrase's meaning. From the replies I gather it (literally) means: slap-unconscious-ไสล and am still curious about the last part.

Thanks again.

They're definitely inaccurate. "Doi" means "by". Sanap-sanun-doi means "sponsored by". Sanap-sanun is the verb, meaning to sponsor or support.

[right][post=272606]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]

"Nan Lae" translates word for word as "that is", but is in fact more like an expression. It means something like "so you see (I was right / that's right).