Australian Women Arrested In Phuket Over Bar Mat

The UK press have picked up this story;

http://www.independent.co.uk

Stolen bar mat lands tourist in Thai jail

Associated Press

An Australian woman arrested for stealing a bar mat from a Thai nightspot appealed today for government intervention to allow her to return home, saying the theft was a practical joke.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This over the top arrest has all the makings for an episode of that Locked Up Abroad series.

Of course it will be resolved but I'm sure a lot of $$ is going to change hands first.

Unfortunate indeed as this is no time for more negative publicity impacting tourism. :)

As many posters keep repeating the reframe that this will put Thai Tourism in a coffin all I can say is, I hope so. When I come to visit later this year I will not have to put up with lager louts and thiving Aussies.

And I might say Good Ridance

Lets take a break folks. The lady, and I use that word lightly, in question is typical of most tourist the world over. No real consideration of were she is going, no research about local customs, and laws. Maybe a bit of time spent reading about Thailand and she would not find herself in the fine mess she has placed herself in.

This is probably the silliest post on the whole thread. Whether or not the woman is a "lady" is a moot point - however, she is an ordinary suburban mother of four young kids who went for a holiday to Thailand for a few days with ten girlfriends. Are you seriously suggesting that countries like Thailand, that depend on tourism for a large part of their export income, should require inbound visitors coming for a few days to somehow be cultural experts? Great idea. That would reduce tourism by about 95%.

Also why all of this crying and howling about how the government should be helping her. When you travel you are now subject to the laws of the country you are visiting and your home country really has no authority and maybe very little influence.

The Thai Government should act quickly to resolve this mess - because it is a mess, and is being headlined on all the media in Australia, and other countries on whom Thailand relies for inbound tourism. As for the Australian Government, they are involved, naturally enough - how could they not be? This is a fine example of third-world justice, and must be fixed quickly. And will be.

As many posters keep repeating the reframe that this will put Thai Tourism in a coffin all I can say is, I hope so. When I come to visit later this year I will not have to put up with lager louts and thiving Aussies.

l think you should be more worried about thieving Thai's than thieving Aussies ,,, but thats only my opinion ,,,,,,,,, just saw the ABC news and they portray her as the victim ,,, had an interview with the bar owner who more or less said she is a thief she got ( or will get ) what she deserved ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, far enuff

cheers

egg

As an Aussie, i have read your comment and decided it would be best to cancel my June trip. I was planning a wonderful time shoplifting and breaking and entering hotel rooms along with a little recreational pickpocketing. Good luck and enjoy your holiday and watch out for blokes with corks hanging off their hats and stay well clear of anyone named Johnno , Macka or Bluey.

"Reframe"? "Riddance"? "Thiving"?

Could we have a translation, please?

As an Aussie, i have read your comment and decided it would be best to cancel my June trip. I was planning a wonderful time shoplifting and breaking and entering hotel rooms along with a little recreational pickpocketing. Good luck and enjoy your holiday and watch out for blokes with corks hanging off their hats and stay well clear of anyone named Johnno , Macka or Bluey.

at least we can be reasonably confident he (or she ) wont go to Australia :)

at least we can be reasonably confident he (or she ) wont go to Australia :D

Thank god for that!

There are allready enough lager louts and thiving foreigners in Australia. We don't need another... :)

Again folks, lets assume she is guilty, and lets assume she also spoke the truth and pointed out that asian men are challenged in a few certain areas....

Does the punishment fit the crime?

Apparently something is a little strange when I guy can go into a police office waving an M16 around, and never have an ounce of trouble, or an air port can be shut down without a single arrest...

but 2-5 years for a 10 baht towel?

Strange to me

Interesting on the Thai news channel this morning, all the reporters information was rehashed stuff from the Australian newspapers....no new information. They even showed the pictures from the Sydney Morning Herald. Investigative Thai reporting at it's best again. Has not made the Bangkok Post yet and probably will not until this incident can somehow be linked to Thaksin :)

This case has had coverage all over Australia, even came up at the MUA meeting and seafarers are calling for a boycott of the Aussie bar.

No one likes a dog and won't drink at a bar when it's owned by a dog.

Steve should know better.

Lets take a break folks. The lady, and I use that word lightly, in question is typical of most tourist the world over. No real consideration of were she is going, no research about local customs, and laws. Maybe a bit of time spent reading about Thailand and she would not find herself in the fine mess she has placed herself in.

This is probably the silliest post on the whole thread. Whether or not the woman is a "lady" is a moot point - however, she is an ordinary suburban mother of four young kids who went for a holiday to Thailand for a few days with ten girlfriends. Are you seriously suggesting that countries like Thailand, that depend on tourism for a large part of their export income, should require inbound visitors coming for a few days to somehow be cultural experts? Great idea. That would reduce tourism by about 95%.

Also why all of this crying and howling about how the government should be helping her. When you travel you are now subject to the laws of the country you are visiting and your home country really has no authority and maybe very little influence.

The Thai Government should act quickly to resolve this mess - because it is a mess, and is being headlined on all the media in Australia, and other countries on whom Thailand relies for inbound tourism. As for the Australian Government, they are involved, naturally enough - how could they not be? This is a fine example of third-world justice, and must be fixed quickly. And will be.

Third world justice? After being held 2 days, she's been released on bail pending trial. Sounds pretty routine for the first world. Should they just drop charges over the objection of the owner? Perhaps if the owner wasn't supporting the charges, but he is. I assume by now if there's video he's seen it.