Australian Women Arrested In Phuket Over Bar Mat

COBRA22

its a bit ridiculous saying people should be culturally aware, I see Thais throwing tantrums, stealing, not wearing shirts etc all the time, sometimes I wonder if that stuff isn't just made up to bulk up lonely planet guides

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/815780...r-theft-charges

Thai police, meanwhile, said Ms Smoel was drunk and abusive.

"She was very rude to the two police, but they didn't properly understand what she was saying," the Herald Sun reported Lt-Maj Jongseam Preecha as saying.

"They brought her to me, and she was very loud."

That is not evidence. The 2 police did not understand what she was sying. The Lt-Maj states that she was very loud in his presence - not abusive or rude.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/815780...r-theft-charges

Thai police, meanwhile, said Ms Smoel was drunk and abusive.

"She was very rude to the two police, but they didn't properly understand what she was saying," the Herald Sun reported Lt-Maj Jongseam Preecha as saying.

That is not evidence. The 2 police did not understand what she was sying. The Lt-Maj states that she was very loud in his presence - not abusive or rude.

Speaking loudly to a Thai police chief (after being attested) = rude..

Its in the delivery as well as the content.. Shes in Thailand not Melbourne.

Pay the corrupt police or go to jail. The police in Thailand are evil greedy xxxx. Thais have little respect for them and try to avoid the police at all costs. It's a shame that these things aren't reported in the western media as much as they should be.

what amazes me is that so many people on this forum hate Thailand.

why? because its corrupt in different ways than your own country? EVERY country is corrupt in either government or business (or both). at least in Thailand you know the score.

i actually like the fact that you can COUNT ON every police in Thailand to be corrupt. here its part of the culture and a reward for being able to obtain such an honored position. you ever get a speeding ticket in the US? say goodbye to several hundred dollars, points off your license and an increase in your insurance bill.

i've been pulled for speeding in Thailand twice (both times going 120km+) and it cost me 200 baht. the police were overjoyed to take the bribe. smiled and thanked me. $6, 5 minutes, and my foot is back on the pedal.

try that in the US and you'll likely go to jail.

at least the police here are rewarded for their work. my brother is a K-9 police in the US. busts drug dealers every night for under $30k a year. he's been shot at many times and had a partner get killed in front of him. where's the honor in that?

[

The ***** deserves 5 years for not knowing that.

Which policeman would let go someone yelling at him "motherfuc_ker", "piece of shit"...

Now, she is saying - had there been a man to bribe police, she would have been free. Look at even bigger skunk, her husband.

Interestingly, they don't say what actually happened and how she insulted the officers (at the airport, a banner says "You may be prosecuted for insulting officers").

The bar owner said what is actually happening - she yelled insults that made police insist on the harshest possible follow up on the procedure.

If I were a PM of Thailand, I would have asked Kevin Rudd to work on his population's education while this white trash is rotting in jail for 5 years.

Just 2 months since that moron Harry was freed, another blunder came from Oz. Drunk rubbish can hold anyone as primitives and then kick up the stink?

Who knows what she might say after she is back - let he think about that for a few years. She could be writing a book too.

1- Aussie cops would take comments like that on the chin. That's a problem here in Oz. Cops don't have respect here and no one gives it to them. If the accused did verbally abuse the cops there, tuff <deleted>, she will suffer. Nonetheless, based on how cops are treated and verbally abused here in Oz, I'd say she didn't know any better. She must have foolishly assumed that Thai cops are pussies like Aussie cops...

2- A Thai PM would be making a fool out of himself if he tries to advise countries like Australia on educating people. Just a quick comparison on the Aussie and Thai education will illustrate how the Aussie education system leaves the Thai system for dead. In addition, no one here takes a PM that cannot control his citizens seriously. Thailand has been a joke in Australia since the airport was shut last October. News on Thailand and Thai politics here is treated like the soap opera it is. Everything in Thailand is a joke, as is this case. Thailand is just making a bigger fool of itself with the way it handled this saga.

I don't think there has been any mention of what she said to the police, the above from think too mutt is the product of his imagination. Until someone (other than the bar owner who wasn't there) can confirm what she said or that she ran away I think it's best for everyone to keep the leaps of fantasy & making things up, to a minimum, Thanks

and I would like everyone to remember the following rules when thinking about posting conjecture or imagined senarios;

3) Not to post in a manner that is vulgar, obscene or profane .

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants.

6) Not to post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm. Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as a magazine or newspaper.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

15) Not to use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. You also agree not to post negative comments criticizing the legal proceedings or judgments of any Thai court of law.

So I guess we've got our conclusions from this 2 sided coin.

Side A:

- Woman caught possessing a property of a bar and when confronted by police, returned the mat - Not guilty.

- Woman then hurled abusive comments loudly at cops who don't understand what she was raging about... Most likely she thought that cops here are the same breed as those in Australia where verbally abusing them is fine. Freedom of speech - Not guilty.

- Woman finished her drunk loud comments then start running off and away from the cops who were still trying to understand what the hel_l she was talking about. No offence. - Not guilty~

- Woman then gets caught by cops for ignoring/running away from them while they were STILL trying to understand what she was saying. Woman says it's a prank, bar mat's back in bar. It's ONLY a bar mat - Not guilty.

Side B.

- Woman came to party. Friends got drunk. She got drunk. Bar mat was in her bag. Possible theft - Chargeable/Guilty.

- Woman hurled abusive comments at cops who actually caught her red-handed with the bar mat in her bag, but couldn't understand what she was saying. Insulting officers/Preventing investigation - Chargeable/Guilty.

- Woman ran off from cops after finishing her brush with the cops who were trying to find out why this woman had the bar mat in her bag. Possible runaway theft/Preventing investigation - Chargeable/Guilty.

- Woman gets caught. Gets husband, the press and everyone to think the same way she thinks...That's it's only a bar mat and a prank. Cops smart enough to use the above 3 chargeable offences to make this woman learn her lesson and also to show future Aussies/Farangs to respect cops in their respective nations. - Cops win.

End of the day, we all know this whole issue will blow by. But I'm standing by the fact that the cops are using this little 'wind' to show the farangs, they can mean business if you think they're stupid. Give these guys a pat on their shoulders. They're getting wiser. But of course, as to what I said above... It's each cop to his own nation. Lesson learnt: Never practice what you do on your local cop to another nation's cop.

Edited by Kervon

I don't think there has been any mention of what she said to the police, the above from think too mutt is the product of his imagination. Until someone (other than the bar owner who wasn't there) can confirm what she said or that she ran away I think it's best for everyone to keep the leaps of fantasy & making things up, to a minimum, Thanks

It could be cleared up easily, Just need Steve to download the best angle of the "crime" from his CCTV to youtube and link it here or better yet, release the footage to the media and expose her.

I doubt it will happen, maybe there is more going on in that bar that they don't want getting out.

It did happen 3 weeks ago now.

Back up your claims Steve, show us your evidence.

...Lets face it.. Drunk ozzie shielas.. Acting up while abroad.. Got caught nicking stuff and now thinks its terrible that has has to go to court.. Shes out on bail..

Most likely that drunken sheila starting acting up, pushing, spitting at and shoving even Thai policemen. You never ever do that here and loosing your cool is always frowned upon in Asian cultures. Add to that arrogance by westerners and bam, you'll find yourself in jail.

Try that acting up sh*t back in home with police and most likely you will end up in jail too. Now this lady is all "I am innocent and just a poor poor mom, help me".

Well from the police in question..

But I'm standing by the fact that the cops are using this little 'wind' to show the farangs, they can mean business if you think they're stupid. Give these guys a pat on their shoulders. They're getting wiser. But of course, as to what I said above... It's each cop to his own nation. Lesson learnt: Never practice what you do on your local cop to another nation's cop.

I assume the cops are teaching her a lesson by letting her enter the procedure and it's minutaes.

After 2 weeks, when she realized they are serious and she has been dumped like a sandbag to wait at her expense for court hearing (police does not interfere with court hearing schedule) she is trying to teach them her own lesson by calling media, foul mouthed husband and lawyer.

"You can be prosecuted for offending an officer" banner at the airport must have been slapped on the walls after many a scene they (the officers) had seen.

LivinginLos, where in that quote has it ben stated what she actually said? Being loud isn't an offence, even in Thailand :) added to the quoted fact that the "officers didn't understand her properly" then I can't see that is any proof of her saying or doing what you & others have claimed.

So much speculation and all from the words of the BiB and a Farang bar owner...

And we are all absolutely secure in the knowledge that the Thai police are honest, upright, truthful and not in any way corrupt.

I find it very sad that so many people have found this person guilty, flamed her, made racist and nasty comments, based on the very few facts that are known.

I hope that these unsympathetic inhumane people never find themselves in a similar position to this woman.

Of course if they did, none of them would complain as they will know that they totally deserve what they get.

I assume the cops are teaching her a lesson by letting her enter the procedure and it's minutaes.

After 2 weeks, when she realized they are serious and she has been dumped like a sandbag to wait at her expense for court hearing (police does not interfere with court hearing schedule) she is trying to teach them her own lesson by calling media, foul mouthed husband and lawyer.

"You can be prosecuted for offending an officer" banner at the airport must have been slapped on the walls after many a scene they (the officers) had seen.

Thinktoomutt,

I asked earlier if you could please supply a source to your claim that she used VERY bad language to the police. You hav enot responded, so was that your imagination?

Now you appear to be referring to the Husband and lawyer as "Foul Mouthed". Have they been swearing at and verbally abusing people in some way? If so source please.

Maybe just more from your imagination. :)

Exclusive: Freed Aussie Mum Says: 'I'm So Glad It's Over'

By Alan Morison and Cutima Sidasathian Wednesday, May 20, 2009Updating Exclusive Phuketwan Report

TRAPPED Australian tourist Annice Smoel is free to fly back to Australia and her four children.

Her court appearance, scheduled for Monday, was accellerated to this afternoon on Phuket.

To expedite the case, she pleaded guilty to a theft charge over the incident that saw her passport confiscated and put her briefly in a cell.

Rest of article here http://phuketwan.com/tourism/freed-aussie-...ays-glad-11137/

Now you appear to be referring to the Husband and lawyer as "Foul Mouthed". Have they been swearing at and verbally abusing people in some way? If so source please.

Maybe just more from your imagination. :)

She certainly was not yelling at police "I am mother of 4". She just remembered that now, 2 weeks later, when she realized that police has junked her in a bin to bleed with cost, unable to leave Thailand.

You just need a bit of life experience to compile what might have happened.

If you told me this story up to the point when she was brought to police station - I could have told you almost exactly what was going to develop, exactly what she would have faced.

And Oz PM said - "It will be very, very tough to help her out".

Thai police - still, they are leaving spare door for everyone to exit - they said "policemen did not properly understand what she was yelling at them".

Now, her cavalry rides in - both husband and lawyer - just see what they said to media. Like they are working against her. Look up earlier in the thread, it's all there.

LivinginLos, where in that quote has it ben stated what she actually said? Being loud isn't an offence, even in Thailand :) added to the quoted fact that the "officers didn't understand her properly" then I can't see that is any proof of her saying or doing what you & others have claimed.

Boo you have been here long enough to know that some loud drunken harangue especially from a female to a male police officer.. And later his chief.. Is not polite behavior in Thailand.

Secondly she was given the chance to sign papers, admit guilt, and pay a small fine but she refused.. Demanded an english speaking lawyer.. Demanded everything translated into english.. OK fine, you want it by the book, no problem, give me your passport, go over there and wait for a court date.

She had multiple outs for this mess.. But kept digging herself deeper into the muck.

So much speculation and all from the words of the BiB and a Farang bar owner...

And we are all absolutely secure in the knowledge that the Thai police are honest, upright, truthful and not in any way corrupt.

I find it very sad that so many people have found this person guilty, flamed her, made racist and nasty comments, based on the very few facts that are known.

I hope that these unsympathetic inhumane people never find themselves in a similar position to this woman.

Of course if they did, none of them would complain as they will know that they totally deserve what they get.

I sure do pray and hope too that no one would find themself in a similar position as the woman.

I'd also pray that you'll never land in the same position as the cop at that present situation.

Got it? No? :)

It seems like the governor and TAT decided that enough was enough and there didn't need to be any more Thai-bashing in the foreign press. Good on them.

If the police had seen it this way from the beginning, none of this would have made the news, and she could have had the exact same punishment.

I am wondering if there will be any reprecussions within the police department, or will everything be ignored?

Exclusive: Freed Aussie Mum Says: 'I'm So Glad It's Over'

Excellent! Good news and happy that she is going home. Governor of Phuket, Wichai Praisa-nob was wise to intervene and be the gracious man in charge.

I would have demanded to know why after flying to Phuket she chose to spend her time at a bar thats main entertainment is big screen TV"s showing racing and football from Australia. :D

That bar owner should be on trial if he sells those lame mats for $60. I mean they had boxing kangaroos on them :D

After this thread I suggest his forum change its name to the "Cynical, Angry, Bitter, Belly-aching, Farang Forum"

A few people on this forum need to take up yoga, golf or just don't go to Thailand anymore.......... :)

Seems like Thailand handled it fine for once..

Thief was arrested.. Treated by the book.. and processed and sent home..

And this is international news..

Yurp. Settled finally. Stirring the whole episode just to succumb to it.

Bet she will think twice about drinking with that bunch of friends, or at least without a bag.

I would have demanded to know why after flying to Phuket she chose to spend her time at a bar thats main entertainment is big screen TV"s showing racing and football from Australia. :D

That bar owner should be on trial if he sells those lame mats for $60. I mean they had boxing kangaroos on them :D

After this thread I suggest his forum change its name to the "Cynical, Angry, Bitter, Belly-aching, Farang Forum"

A few people on this forum need to take up yoga, golf or just don't go to Thailand anymore.......... :)

LOL :D

Almost fell off my chair reading this...

lol seems the hanging sqad are gonna be upset that this bird didn't get the chair. What smug dregs on this thread with imaginary senarios what she did or didn't do or say & bitching & ranting about it like a bunch of old hags. The govn'r wouldn't apologise if he didn't know the cops were in the wrong. Read the words of that last press release carefully. It says it all.

lol seems the hanging sqad are gonna be upset that this bird didn't get the chair. What smug dregs on this thread with imaginary senarios what she did or didn't do or say & bitching & ranting about it like a bunch of old hags. The govn'r wouldn't apologise if he didn't know the cops were in the wrong. Read the words of that last press release carefully. It says it all.
OK read it. I think this the relevant paragraph.
He intervened in the case after receiving telephone calls earlier today from Thailand's Ministry of Tourism and the Foreign Ministry.

Not an admission of guilt just following orders.