Australian Woman With Bar Mat.

george

Thai court frees bar mat Aussie

PHUKET: -- Australian woman Annice Smoel has been released from detention in Thailand and is free to travel home, according to reports in Phuket.

The Phuket Wan website says Ms Smoel, who faced five years in jail for allegedly stealing a bar mat, was given a six-month suspended jail term and a 1,000 baht ($30) fine for theft.

It said the ruling was made at a provincial court in Phuket City on Wednesday.

"The jail term will be stayed for one year and if Ms Smoel does not commit any crime in Thailand for the year, her jail term will not have to be served," the website reports.

The website says her passport had been returned and she would be allowed to return to Australia.

-- Nine MSN, AU

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Australian woman in Thai bar mat prank free to head home

Australian woman Annice Smoel has been released from detention in Thailand and is reportedly free to travel home.

Ms Smoel, who faced five years in jail for allegedly stealing a bar mat, has been given a six-month suspended jail term and a 1,000 baht ($30) fine for theft at the provincial court in Phuket City.

A website says the fine was paid by the Governor of Phuket, Wichai Praisa-Nob.

The 36-year-old Melbourne mother of four had pleaded guilty in court.

Ms Smoel and her husband Darren embraced after the ruling.

"I don't know exactly how it all happened today. I think it was probably a combination of my lawyers here, my lawyers in Australia and my government and the Thai government,” Ms Smoel said.

"The governor has apologised to me and been very kind. He seems like a lovely man."

She was arrested on May 2 for allegedly stealing the bar mat from the Aussie Bar in Phuket, where she was celebrating her mother's 60th birthday.

She spent four days in jail and had been told she could have had to wait 14 weeks before her case came to court.

Ms Smoel claimed her friends had put the bar mat in her handbag as a practical joke.

-- livenews.com.au 2009-05-20

She was fined 1000 baht (A$38), which was paid by the Governor of Phuket, Wichai Praisa-nob.

He intervened in the case after receiving telephone calls earlier today from Thailand's Ministry of Tourism and the Foreign Ministry.

Governor Wichai said he felt very sorry for her and considered she was not at fault.

He wondered why the Australian owner of the Aussie Bar would allow a dispute to develop with a fellow Australian.

Thai jail mum Annice Smoel 'set free'

A MELBOURNE mother facing jail over the theft of a bar mat is reportedly heading home after pleading guilty in a Thai court today.

According to Phuket Wan, a news website in the Thai resort town, Annice Smoel was given a six-month suspended jail term and a 1000-baht fine for theft in a ruling today at a provincial court.

The jail term will be stayed for one year and if Mrs Smoel does not commit any crime in Thailand for the year, her jail term will not have to be served.

The website said the fine was paid by the Governor of Phuket, Wichai Praisa-nob.

He intervened after speaking to Thailand's Ministry of Tourism and the Foreign Ministry.

Ms Smoel, 36, and her husband Darren embraced after the ruling.

"I think I am going home," Ms Smoel told the website.

"The Governor is waiting for my passport now. He has been very gracious.

"I don't know exactly how it all happened today. I think it was probably a combination of my lawyers here, my lawyers in Australia and my government and the Thai Government.

"The Governor has apologised to me and been very kind. He seems like a lovely man."

Ms Smoel's lawyer in Australia, Bernard Murphy, said he was encouraged by today's developments.

"There have been some very good developments today but I'm reluctant to say anything until Annice is on a plane and on her way home," he said.

"The most important thing for us to do is to get her home."

Ms Smoel was arrested on May 2 for allegedly stealing the bar mat from the Aussie Bar in Phuket where she was celebrating her mother's 60th birthday.

She spent four days in jail and had been told she could have had to wait 14 weeks before her case came to court.

Mrs Smoel claimed her friends had put the bar mat in her handbag as a practical joke.

Earlier, Mrs Smoel's daughers issued a desperate video appeal for her to be freed, saying they were struggling to cope without her.

Lilly, 6, Zhian, 12, and Zoe, 8, spoke out today in an attempt to draw attention to their mother’s plight.

“We love our mum so much and we just want her home now,” a tearful eight-year-old Zoe said.

“I can’t really stand it much longer. We just want our mum home so bad.”

“We really need her back her with us so we can bring our family back together,” Zhian, 12, said.

Earlier today, Mr Rudd told The Daily Telegraph that consular officials were giving Mrs Smoel "practical'' support while working toward "as speedy a conclusion as possible''.

-- news.com.au 2009-05-20

Aussie woman confesses in Phuket, released on US$ 28.00 fine

phuket-The-beer-mat-that-started-the-whole-controversy-was-145cm-by-45-cm-and-made-of-thick-rubber-1-PJBSbbI.jpg

The 'bar mat' that started the whole controversy

was 145cm by 45 cm and made of thick rubber.

PHUKET CITY: -- Australian tourist Annice Smoel today pleaded guilty to theft charges at Phuket Provincial Court and was released after paying a 1,000-baht fine (approx US$ 28.00).

Pol Maj Songserm Preecha of the Kathu Police told the Gazette today that the maximum sentence for the theft charge was one year imprisonment and a 2,000-baht fine, but Phuket Provincial Court halved both the prison sentence and fine based on her confession.

The court then suspended the prison sentence because Ms Smoel has no previous criminal record in Thailand.

Ms Smoel’s case has made major headlines in her native country, which is a prime source of tourists to Phuket at this time of year.

She was arrested and detained for two nights in a cell at Kathu Police Station after police caught her with a stolen beer mat (aka 'bar mat') from the Aussie Bar on Soi Bangla in Patong.

The bar mat, measuring 145cm by 45 cm, was made of thick rubber.

The Australian mother or four initially denied the charges, saying friends had put the item in her handbag without her knowledge as a prank.

Kathu Police forwarded the case to the Provincial Prosecutor’s Office and seized her passport, preventing her from leaving Thailand to go home to her children.

The non-stop, worldwide publicity surrounding the case – and its possible impact on tourism – apparently made the court expedite the case.

A Thai person facing the same charge would typically have to wait weeks or months for a court hearing.

Maj Songserm also denied that Ms Smoel spent four nights in prison, as has been widely reported. She spent two nights in prison and was released after 48 hours, the maximum allowable under the law, he said.

Ms Smoel was in an angry mood and quarreled with staff at the Aussie Bar. She was arrested by uniformed officers after staff at the bar reported the theft, not by “undercover police” inside the bar as previously reported in major media around the world, he said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-05-20

How big was her hand bag then :)

The 'bar mat' that started the whole controversy was 145cm (4.75721 in Feet) by 45 cm (1.47637 foot long) and made of thick rubber.

Welcome to the 'News of this World' :D

Kan Win :D

First it was reported to be a "Slop Mat" (sorry can not find the link as it was from a Aussie News site) then as I have shown before on another thread that I think it would be a 'Bar Towel' and now I am sorry to say that this cannot not be the real 'Bar Mat' as it is a 'Foot Mat' that the said lady had a problem with :D or am I wrong :)

Your truly,

Edited by Kan Win

"He wondered why the Australian owner of the Aussie Bar would allow a dispute to develop with a fellow Australian. " Quote from phuketwan.com attributed to the Govenor of Phuket. Sure the bar owner isn't feeling too comfortable now after the Govenor making a public statement concerning his action in the case.

It seems that she was given the choice....

Plead guilty with the promise of a small fine and immediate release and able to return to your family

Or

Look forward to possibly years away from your family waiting for your days in court. Living a wretched life with no income to pay for your stay here. Mounting lawyers fees with no income to pay them. A court hearing in a language that you don't understand, so far into the future that every one else will have lost interest, so you will probably have an inexperienced cheap lawyer. Every chance that you will be found guilty because of the inexperienced lawyer and then years in a Thai prison.

Happily, she went for the first option......Anybody that would seriously go for the 2nd option would have to be a totally brainless idiot.

At least she can get back home to her family now.

I hope that some lessons have been learned by all sides in this sorry saga

Edited by LivinginKata

All right that is pretty F'd up.

I mean she IS pleased the Governor apologised. For what catching her OR her friends stealing.

Ok bye but they should of deported her and not let her be able to come back.

Gives a good arguement for all Ozzies now. Almost sounds like Bart Simpson. "Hey, its the IT WASN'T ME kid.

She's gonna make a few more bucks back here in Oz.

Shame. Shouldn't be allowed.

"He wondered why the Australian owner of the Aussie Bar would allow a dispute to develop with a fellow Australian. " Quote from phuketwan.com attributed to the Govenor of Phuket. Sure the bar owner isn't feeling too comfortable now after the Govenor making a public statement concerning his action in the case.

I would assume that he has the CCTV footage of the event which could potentially clear his name if he needs to use it - unless the police have 'lost' it of course :)

Even the governor thinks Steve is petty, these people put money in his pocket and he presses charges on a fellow Australian.

Never bite the hand that feeds you.

Very strange story, seem to me, as if would easy just to make her pay for the stupid mat send her on her way with a stern warning, instead of make an International affair over a silly petty crime, hmmmmmm very strange guess I must have miss something her. :D:):D:D:D

Even the governor thinks Steve is petty, these people put money in his pocket and he presses charges on a fellow Australian.

Steve "Small-Wood"

Seriously folks it is good to see some logic being used in Thailand, probably imported, but hey if it works use it.

Wow... I've read every word from the closed thread to here and what a load of sh*te.

I spent more than twenty years "holidaying" in developing countries from central/south America to Africa, Asia and the former eastern bloc and I ALWAYS made myself aware of the cultural/political/judicial circumstances of the country/region visited - even before the ease of 'net searches!! Not to do so is gross negligence on your part - if you are naive enough to think going to "play" in a developing nation is like playing in your own back garden you should have your freakin' passport revoked.

Hey Mike.  I appreciate what you are saying.  I am a well travelled "tourist" also.  Been doing so for last 30 years.  That is just my point.  The majority of tourists do not have your experience.  Their first trip O/S on a cheap package tour.  Girls meeting up at the popular tourist destination Phuket to celebrate there Mum's 60th birthday.  Go to the Aussie bar and get pissed.  Are you and everybody else here angels when on holidays?  I personaly know 5 people who have been mugged in the same street as this bar.  Mostly by ladyboys.  2 were seriously injured.  No charges ever laid here.  Give the poor girl a break.  A <deleted>' beer mat for christ's sake ....

Governor Wichai wondered why the Australian owner of the Aussie Bar would allow a dispute to develop with a fellow Australian.

Well it's quite simple really the bar owner thought some one was stealing from him to the tune of $60 so he got the police involved, after all what would the owner have done if she'd run up a bar bill to the same amount and not paid?

It dosn't matter if your drunk or not, on holiday or not, black or white, male or female thievery is thievery.

Are you suggesting that being tried, convicted and sentenced as a criminal in Thailand doesn't account for anything?

Ironically, it's that sort of mindset that landed this shiela in the stink to begin with.

Are you suggesting that being tried, convicted and sentenced as a criminal in Thailand doesn't account for anything?

Ironically, it's that sort of mindset that landed this shiela in the stink to begin with.

Being a beer mat thief in Australia would be a joke.  A joke here in Thailand also.  My Thai friends were having a good laugh tonight.  They did not know the story until I told them about it.  Beer mat theft is not huge news up this way.  We all had a good laugh over a bottle of Sang Som.  They all agreed it is not real good for the tourism industry here though.  

First it was reported to be a "Slop Mat" (sorry can not find the link as it was from a Aussie News site) then as I have shown before on another thread that I think it would be a 'Bar Towel' and now I am sorry to say that this cannot not be the real 'Bar Mat' as it is a 'Foot Mat' that the said lady had a problem with :D or am I wrong :)

Your truly,

If you look at the 3rd post in the other thread, I asked what a bar mat was in this instance. Because when I worked in restaurants for 13 years, a bar mat was most commonly the floor covering, but also the bar top mat.

Either way, her own audio account was that she instantly knew there was extra weight in her bag when she picked it up (and did nothing about it). And when confronted she says she handed the bag back to her friends to deal. So she knew there was something in her bag and knew who put it there. She's received about what I think a first offender would get at least in the US, probation and a small fine. Well, the local Governor paying the fine for her makes it a little third world.

there are some really mentally challenged people on this thread!! I already closed one thread on this subject & LivinginKata closed one too due to continued flaming & posters making derogatory & offensive comments.

A reminder to all to keep it civil.

Thanks

Ah. So now we all believe that the governor knows exactly what happened and would criticise his own police force if he thought they did anything wrong. Of course he would. He wouldn't try to make the owner the bad guy simply to deflect attention away from his own men, would he?

Ah. So now we all believe that the governor knows exactly what happened and would criticise his own police force if he thought they did anything wrong. Of course he would. He wouldn't try to make the owner the bad guy simply to deflect attention away from his own men, would he?

I should think that the governor has a much better idea of what actually happened than the posters here, but I do agree with you that it is easier to blame the bar owner for a situation that was blown out of proportion.

As I understand it, this man Steve was not in the country at the time, so he couldn't have pressed charges. If charges were pressed, then it must have been by one of the other partners or the manager.