Travel To Koh Chang From Chiang Mai

dagambill

In July we are going to Koh Chang with some friends of ours. We decided the cheapest way to go would be to catch the night train from Chiang Mai down to Bangkok and then to catch a bus to a ferry to get on to get the the Island. The problem is, we don't know how to get from the train station to the bus station in Bangkok and what to expect there. Has anyone made this journey like we will be? Can anyone tell us a better way to get there? Can we catch a sky train to get to the bus station?

Thank you! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I think the best could be take a night train to BKK,from Railway station by taxi or tuk-tuk to Ekkamai Bus Station,then a Bus straight to the Ferry pier.The Bus "99" is the best IMO,at 6.30,7.45 and 9.45 am.You'll be in Koh Chang in the afternoon or early evening.Last Ferry is about 6 pm.Good trip.

• 2 years later...

In September we are flying from Chiang Mai to Bangkok on Air Asia (I believe Suvarnabhumi). Plane arrives in BKK @ 9:40 A.M. What is the best way to get to Koh Chang from the airport? How long does it take?

Thanks in advance.

You have a couple of options, but the best would be to take Bangkok Airways Flight to Trat. Unfortunately, though in the low season there are only two flights a day - and that would mean you would have to take the 16.50 flight out of BKK. The flight is generally around 50 minutes long and cost apx2,000 bht.

There is also a bus from the airport I believe, although have never taken it. Driving wise if you took a taxi you are looking at 4 hour maybe 5 to the ferry terminal at Ao Sapparot - which may still be the best ioption if you don't want to hang around in BKK for 7 hours.

There are free shuttle buses from Suvarnabhumi to the bus terminal, from there you can catch a bus south to Trat; we're north of Trat, and I don't know the last part of your journey Trat-Koh Chang, but as far as the buses on this route go, in our experience, excellent.

We travelled from/to C'buri-airport at the start of this month, had one of the new buses (I looked, only 16,000km on the clock), decent leg room, I'm 187cm, aircon, and from C'buri to bus station/shuttle connection near airport was 197 baht - this included water, fruit juice and light snack.

These sites have bus timetables and info http://www.ekohchang.com/getting-to-kohchang.html and http://www.ikohchang.com/busterminal-ekamai.htm

Happy travels!

I think the best could be take a night train to BKK,from Railway station by taxi or tuk-tuk to Ekkamai Bus Station,then a Bus straight to the Ferry pier.The Bus "99" is the best IMO,at 6.30,7.45 and 9.45 am.You'll be in Koh Chang in the afternoon or early evening.Last Ferry is about 6 pm.Good trip.

Bus "99"is The Transport Company, Govt.owned and when using "99" signifies a 2nd class service.The private operators (blue and white colours)are 1st class, a liitle more expensive but more comfortable.Generally stop for meals at better quality food outlets. Buses with a red stripe down the sides are also 2nd class.

If you have the time,and would like to break your journey, an interesting way to go, is by Nakornchai Air !st class service ( which is actually their V.I.P.Class of bus),not your normal 1st. class.. . From Chiang Mai to Buriram , then by Bus No. 522 from Buriram to Chantaburi ,connecting to a bus to the pier for Koh Chang. Takes time ,but is a nice trip

Thanks everyone. I already have tickets on Air Asia (have had them for a long time) so Atmos advice is very helpful.

One last thing. How many hours total is the bus journey from Suvarnabhumi to the terminal and then to Trat?

Airport to Trat is 4and half hours ish. Trat to Laem Ngop ferry port is 20-25 mins. Sometimes the bus stops about 15k before Trat and there are small pic ups (songtaews) waiting to take you to the pier. Saves time.

Have a look at iamkohchang.com There is a lot of good info there. Make sure you use the Tannochat ferry and not centrepoint ferry. Tannochat takes 25mins across and centrepoint more like 90 mins.

• 5 weeks later...

flying from Chiang Mai to Bangkok on Air Asia (I believe Suvarnabhumi).

You had better be sure about that. Check the airport designator. Domestic flights are supposed to be routed to Don Muang, the old airport. (DMK)

• 1 month later...

flying from Chiang Mai to Bangkok on Air Asia (I believe Suvarnabhumi).

You had better be sure about that. Check the airport designator. Domestic flights are supposed to be routed to Don Muang, the old airport. (DMK)

Arriving at Suvarnabhumi. Need to get to Ao Tammachat Ferry. I see a lot of bus companies offering service from Suvarnabhumi to Center Point Ferry and then on to Koh Chang. But we would like to not have to go to Center Point and don't need to ride on the bus on the ferry. Any one used a bus company in particular that will provide what we are looking for? I suppose it's possible to get off at Trat and take a songtaew to the ferry?? Thanks.

There are free shuttle buses from Suvarnabhumi to the bus terminal, from there you can catch a bus south to Trat; we're north of Trat, and I don't know the last part of your journey Trat-Koh Chang, but as far as the buses on this route go, in our experience, excellent.

We travelled from/to C'buri-airport at the start of this month, had one of the new buses (I looked, only 16,000km on the clock), decent leg room, I'm 187cm, aircon, and from C'buri to bus station/shuttle connection near airport was 197 baht - this included water, fruit juice and light snack.

These sites have bus timetables and info http://www.ekohchang.com/getting-to-kohchang.html and http://www.ikohchang.com/busterminal-ekamai.htm

Happy travels!

Thanks for that. It seems those links are dead however.

I'm assuming that using this route involves the free shuttle from Suvarnabhumi to Ekamai, then the bus from Ekamai to Trat, then songtaew to Ao Tammachat Ferry. We have a 2 year old, so that seems like a lot of transfers to have to deal with.

Edited by elektrified