Gloomy Outlook For Phuket Tourism

george

Gloomy outlook for Phuket tourism

PHUKET CITY: -- The Phuket Tourism Association (PTA) has forecast that Phuket hotels will see average occupancy rates dip to as low as 25-30%, compared to 60% in the low season last year.

Citing a number of negative factors, PTA Vice Presdient Bhurit Maswongsa said the spread of the type-A (H1N1) flu virus was one of the main problems hitting the industry at the moment.

“Phuket is already in the low [summer] season, but occupancy rates will fall by about 30% to remain at between 30-35%,” he predicted.

Revenues for operators in Phuket would be down 50% compared to last year, he added.

Only tourists from Australia, the Middle East and India are likely to be visit the island in strong numbers at this time of year, he said.

Promotional offers were not enough to tempt tourists back to Thailand as they were trying to avoid the possibility of catching the flu and were also concerned about political instability.

Moreover, occupancy rates in the high season are expected to be down 20%, to between 50% and 60%, he said.

Laguna Resorts and Hotels forecasts the average occupancy rate at its properties will be down 20% to 25% in the second and third quarters of this year.

Average occupancy rate at the region’s largest resort complex fell 27% in the first quarter, to 65%t because people canceled bookings to Phuket following the closure of the Bangkok airports in November.

Political instability and the global economic crisis are key factors for the downturn and this has been exacerbated by the spread of the flu virus.

Debbie Dionysius, Laguna’s assistant vice president for destination marketing, said it had offered 100,000 free rooms earlier this year so occupancy rates were pretty high from January to March. However, revenue was down.

Ms Dionysius expected to see an improvement by the fourth quarter as tourists would be returning to Thailand.

“We have seen some positive signs such as the economy picking up,” she said.

Dusit Thani Laguna recorded the best performance in terms of revenue in 2007-2008, while Banyan Tree has recorded the highest occupancy rate over the last two years.

The hotel operator is trying to attract more tourists to the island by adding more activities and implementing new marketing strategies.

An upcoming event is the fourth Laguna Phuket International Marathon, which is scheduled for June 14. The event is expected to draw 4,000 runners from overseas and from within Thailand. It is hoped that the event will generate revenues of around 30 million baht for the province.

According to Ms Dionysius, Laguna Phuket is working with international schools in Thailand, Hong Kong and Singapore to organize activities and camping trips. The scheme will run from June to September.

Moreover, the group will try to attract more customers from China where it has Banyan Tree offices in Beijing and Shanghai. Laguna expects visitors from China to increase from 5% this year to 15-20% over the next few years.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-05-21

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PHUKET CITY: -- The Phuket Tourism Association (PTA) has forecast that Phuket hotels will see average occupancy rates dip to as low as 25-30%, compared to 60% in the low season last year.

Citing a number of negative factors, PTA Vice Presdient Bhurit Maswongsa said the spread of the type-A (H1N1) flu virus was one of the main problems hitting the industry at the moment.

What a joke. Thai's really have to wake up and smell the coffee...it's not the only place in the world with hot weather, decent beaches and nice food. Add the misconceived idea that they can charge Marbella, Monte Carlo or Portofino prices and you have a recipe for disaster.

But of course the decrease in numbers has nothing to do with world economic recession. Political instability and tanks on the streets. Rip-off prices and poor service.

Blame the pigs! :D You reap what you sow :)

RAZZ

The Aussie bar mat fiasco probably has pretty much killed this golden egg...

Only tourists from Australia, the Middle East and India are likely to be visit the island in strong numbers at this time of year, he said.

Interesting that they think Australians will come in numbers.

No way, not after all the negativity this week and I bet more to come this weekend.

Bali is back in vogue for Aussies, Thailand has been knock down and is now on the mat and will struggle to recover in the eyes of Australian couples and family tourists

what the local TAT and hotels association should do is appoint the owner of the Aussi bar as the Ambassador of Goodwill and Happines for all - and with every visitor to the island they will recieve a free - yes free!!! complimentary Aussi pub bar mat and they will get to go to the happy hour at the aussi pub where all drinks will be half priced - and half filled with water - so they dont get drunk - and run down the beach - and they can watch aussi football on the ???????? satalite tv from PNG -

I wonder if they do now the normal Thaistyle thing. Raising the prices should help :)

When they will start to learn that Thailand needs the Tourism Industrie. It creates a lot of jobs.

Jnstead of lowering the Baht exchange rate to make it more attractive to visit Thailand, they are raising prices for beer and cigarettes, food etc.etc.....

The Baht is way to expensive and Thailand is not longer a low priced destination. Other factors are an unstable political system in Thailand and a worldwide growing commercial crisis

What the government is waiting for? Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines and very soon Sri Lanka are serious competitors.

What a joke. Thai's really have to wake up and smell the coffee...it's not the only place in the world with hot weather, decent beaches and nice food. Add the misconceived idea that they can charge Marbella, Monte Carlo or Portofino prices and you have a recipe for disaster.

But of course the decrease in numbers has nothing to do with world economic recession. Political instability and tanks on the streets. Rip-off prices and poor service.

RAZZ

Ill second that.

You reap what you sow...

- overpricing

- damaging visa laws

- Hostility

- Red-Blue-Yellow-disaster

- Boys in brown shows

- unstable politics

- rip-offs

and much much more...

But I don't agree that it has nothing to do the world economy crisis.

It has! And that is the reason for this gloomy outlook.

Look to other tourist destinations. They face the same problems - worldwide

Revenues for operators in Phuket would be down 50% compared to last year, he added.

Of course this only applies to businesses run by farangs.

The clever Thai business people, will just increase the price of

everything by 50% and not even notice any problems !

:)

The blame for the decline of tourism to Thailand is laid on every conceivable reason.

Internal affairs and maybe not enough on the external affairs.

However, every sane visitor or wouldbe visitor to Thailand knows or feels that this country is getting out of favour.

I guess we all know the reasons.

All the neighbouring countries or further away offer better deals or make the visitor, longterm or shortterm, feel more welcome.

Alas!

I bet Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia are just sitting back and laughing while their tourism is booming thanks to a few stupid incidents in Thailand. They should put that officer in jail for a year for trying to get 60 thousand baht for a mat from the lady after they caught her. I mean come on, It's like Thailand doesn't want to succeed. Anyway enjoy beautiful Malaysia, where a bar towel is not worth a year in jail or 60 thousand baht. That officer should be fined for all the problems he caused 60% drop in last year over a bar towel. Was it worth it?

after police put woman in jail for 4 days with 5 years of sentence possible for stealing a bar mat or towel

NOBODY should come to Thailand anymore if you are sane in the brain...

sadly, off course the adventurers looking for cheap sex and easy women will never be scared away enough !

Meh... Haven't you heard? She's been released from custody, free to go home after being fined 1000 Baht, which the Governor of Phuket payed on her behalf. The whole thing got blown out of proportion, and the Governor did the sensible thing by intervening, probably realizing how ridiculous the whole fiasco was, and the effect that it would have had on tourism, had it been allowed to continue.

Getting caught stealing a bar mat in Thailand is the least of my concerns, mainly because it is completely avoidable (i.e. don't steal bar mats, or anything, for that matter). There are plenty of other things I'd worry about in Thailand before that, and in spite of them all, I'll still go back. Call me crazy.

after police put woman in jail for 4 days with 5 years of sentence possible for stealing a bar mat or towel

sadly, off course the adventurers looking for cheap sex and easy women will never be scared away enough !

Meh... Haven't you heard? She's been released from custody, free to go home after being fined 1000 Baht, which the Governor of Phuket payed on her behalf. The whole thing got blown out of proportion, and the Governor did the sensible thing by intervening, probably realizing how ridiculous the whole fiasco was, and the effect that it would have had on tourism, had it been allowed to continue.

Getting caught stealing a bar mat in Thailand is the least of my concerns, mainly because it is completely avoidable (i.e. don't steal bar mats, or anything, for that matter). There are plenty of other things I'd worry about in Thailand before that, and in spite of them all, I'll still go back. Call me crazy.

That is not really the point. You may be back, but there are plenty of people, rightly or wrongly, who will choose Bali or another destination because of the press' slant on the incident. Facts don't matter. Whether the woman was right or wrong doesn't matter. It is the perception among people who would have come to Phuket which matters. If they think they are going to be arrested for doing nothing, then they won't come.

I live in Thailand, so I am not going to change a think over some drunken tourist

s situation. But this is a thread about tourism, and the official quoted opined that tourists from Australia would be coming here in large numbers.

I wonder if they do now the normal Thaistyle thing. Raising the prices should help :)

Hahaha. Of course they will! Everybody here knows that prices have to be raised up to make up for the lost revenue. How else could they afford to survive???????? ... THIS IS THE QUESTION

And the answer to it is a list of about 10000 solutions and tips. But do they want to know? It would actually require LEARNING .. brrrrrr

Once more the demise of Phuket is neing greatly exagerrated. It remains one of the best tourist products in the world and its return trade is second to none.

The original report is based on quotes and the experience of some very high end hotels, hardly typical of the Phuket product and very different from the town in the driving seat, Patong. The Laguna area (Dusit, Sheraton etc) has a posh niche and always has been. The reasons for their low occupancy rates will be varied, but the economy looks favourite. This area along with Kata and Karon has always been far more seasonally sensitive than Patong too.

The guesthouses and middle star hotel business in Patong are doing just fine as low seasons go, people are not deserting Patong, they are merely gearing down the level of accomodation they are using.

There seem to be hardcore group of people who resent Phuket's success, I guess they are the same guys who trot out the old 'its where Bangkok/Pattaya bar girls go when no one wants them anymore" crap too and who constantly herald various other towns as the next Phuket.

Phuket is the next Phuket, it remains an absolutely brilliant place to spend a vacation, its got the lot and the tiniest amount of research will show you where the value is too. If the tsunami couldn't destroy us, nothing can nor will. What we have is a normal downtrurn in trade that can be exected in any industry. A positive result of which is that there has never been a better time to invest in Phuket. Sadly we don't see any headlines in the Bangkok media about this.

Regarding the Aussie woman arrest: Steve, the owner of the bar is good bloke, he has a great business and works hard at it too and deserves his success. As I know to my own cost, this can create a lot of resentment amongst a certain type of expat and this naturally paid a part in the story running longer than it should have on the various boards.

The beer towel in question, is a large rubber mat, custom made by the bar with the bars logo on it. They are sold as souvenirs however this woman or one of her mates thought it would be a hoot to steal one. However you look at it its theft, just as it would have been if she'd stolen a T-shirt that bar sells as a souvenir. She was stopped by the bars own security guard and told to put it back, at which point the <deleted> and jeffing started. Thai guy loses face, so he nicked her because he can. Som nam naa as we say in the south.

Most Aussies who come here are brilliant and are a welcome addition to the mix on the island. I fear that this group were of the ilk who buy their beer at the 7 - 11 and then try to bring it into your bar and then get shitty with you for telling them that this is as unnaceptable in Thailand as it would be in Australia. (I believe in Australia this would get you a smack you probably deserve).

Talking about sanity? This is an utmost dumb remark. Stigmatizing millions of decent and kind women and men, because you have not done your home work and obviously visited the wrong places. it is like telling the world that all of The US is an insane place because Vegas is the US, All of germany is the reeper bahn, all of the Netherlands is Amsterdam red like district, and all Aussies are thieves because someone played false.

Maybe it is time to grow up and have a look. You kind not find kinder people than in Thailand, you cannot get better food and you cannot have more fun. Stay out of the red light districts if you do not have a brain that can separate truth from fiction.

To all those who are degenerating Phuket & saying prices will go up, have you actually done survey on room prices. Until you do so perhaps you should withold your scurrilous comments or try coming up with some constructive comments & realise there are two ways of looking at a glas, it is either half full or half empty.

Stupid farangs, clever Thais, doom & gloom, swine flu, bad cops, as if the rest of the world does not have any problems.

there has never been a better time to invest in Phuket. Sadly we don't see any headlines in the Bangkok media about this.

wake up Phuketian, these times are long past, The show is over. When I bought my land ten years ago I paid a Million Baht per Rai in Rawai. There are still dreamers on the road which think they buy cheap if they pay 8 Million for the same now :):D :D the bubble is ready to explode and I hope that noone of these gamblers get his money back. Saw it here many times, they bought a rai for two millon, cut it in four pieces and sold one piece for 2Milion. The show is over. The only reason why people like Patong is for the cheap ladies but for sure not the stinky beach and dirty roads :D

That is not really the point. You may be back, but there are plenty of people, rightly or wrongly, who will choose Bali or another destination because of the press' slant on the incident. Facts don't matter. Whether the woman was right or wrong doesn't matter. It is the perception among people who would have come to Phuket which matters. If they think they are going to be arrested for doing nothing, then they won't come.

I live in Thailand, so I am not going to change a think over some drunken tourist

s situation. But this is a thread about tourism, and the official quoted opined that tourists from Australia would be coming here in large numbers.

I don't dispute that. I wasn't commenting on the OP (although admittedly I should probably be sticking to the thread topic). I was responding to thaibkk's post, in which he stated that people should stay away from Thailand if they are sane. I was only stating my opinion about the actual risk to me, with regards to the (admittedly off-topic) comment about the stolen bar mat case. Facts do matter to me.

Talking about sanity? This is an utmost dumb remark. Stigmatizing millions of decent and kind women and men, because you have not done your home work and obviously visited the wrong places. it is like telling the world that all of The US is an insane place because Vegas is the US, All of germany is the reeper bahn, all of the Netherlands is Amsterdam red like district, and all Aussies are thieves because someone played false.

Maybe it is time to grow up and have a look. You kind not find kinder people than in Thailand, you cannot get better food and you cannot have more fun. Stay out of the red light districts if you do not have a brain that can separate truth from fiction.

Errrrrrrrrrrrr is it me going mad or what. I have been trying to make some sense out of the quoted post. I have read it about 6 times and I am still puzzled. Whether or not you agree with "thaibkk's" post at least you can understand the point he is making but as for the above post....I think his first two sentences should be at the end of his post....dont you?????

HL :)

The Aussie bar mat fiasco probably has pretty much killed this golden egg...

Dunno about that, I assume that if you are caught stealing in OZ your arrested and have to go to court. As`a tourist I can only assume expulsion would be automatic? I could be wrong but maybe someone can go to k mart and nick a towel and see what happens?

Regarding the Aussie woman arrest: Steve, the owner of the bar is good bloke, he has a great business and works hard at it too and deserves his success. As I know to my own cost, this can create a lot of resentment amongst a certain type of expat and this naturally paid a part in the story running longer than it should have on the various boards.

The beer towel in question, is a large rubber mat, custom made by the bar with the bars logo on it. They are sold as souvenirs however this woman or one of her mates thought it would be a hoot to steal one. However you look at it its theft, just as it would have been if she'd stolen a T-shirt that bar sells as a souvenir. She was stopped by the bars own security guard and told to put it back, at which point the <deleted> and jeffing started. Thai guy loses face, so he nicked her because he can. Som nam naa as we say in the south.

Most Aussies who come here are brilliant and are a welcome addition to the mix on the island. I fear that this group were of the ilk who buy their beer at the 7 - 11 and then try to bring it into your bar and then get shitty with you for telling them that this is as unnaceptable in Thailand as it would be in Australia. (I believe in Australia this would get you a smack you probably deserve).

Could not agree with you more, the sort of behaviour this group has demonstrated can be seen in any major Australian city any weekend of the year. The only difference here is that the Thai Police had the backbone to arrest and charge her with the offence that had taken place (however minor it is).

The problem for this woman and her group was that they started mouthing of to the Thai police, so in my mind she got what she deserved.

All the shit that was being talked in the media in regard to them being singled out because they were women on their own and if they had a man with them to bribe the police she would have been ok, was certainly not the way to endear herself to the Thai Authorities.

If I run a business and people nick stuff all the time (does not matter what the dollar value is), there would come a point when enough is enough and I to would instruct staff to call the police and have them charged. If these mats are sold souveniers in his premises, then in my mind the bar owner is well within his rights to prosecute.

All the talk about why should an Aussie charge and Aussie with something so trivial should not even be discussed, if the women Aussie had not entered the Aussie bar owners bar, stolen one of the bars bar mats, tried to do a runner and then opened her big gob to the police, we would not be having this discussion.

There is nothing more Un Australian than going to another Aussie's bar and thieving from it. In my mind that is very Un Australian.

All I can hope is that the type of traveller that is bleeting "I am not going to Thailand" because of what happened here decide to go back to Bali or any other country and carry on like complete idiots their instead of Thailand.

I can assure you now, that knowing the Aussie mentality and with all the coverage that has been over here, this will not be the only person who gets charged with the bar mat nicking charge. The hottest game in Phuket will be how many towels can you nick without being caught. so bar owners beware.

I have drunk in the Aussie Bar a few times when I have been over and have no complaints whatsoever about the bar or the staff there and the fact that this has happened will not stop me drinking there. Why should it bother anyone if there is police working as security in the bar, to me it makes it a safer place to drink.

Steve, as you have a well run bar, I really do not think it will affect your business. It may even do you a favour by stopping the idiots & yobs coming into your bar that want to carry on like this.

In my mind, the weak person in all of this is the Thai Official who paid her fine, in my mind that is a big loss of face by doing that (Not Normal Thai Behaviour), and a stab in the back for the police who bought the charges.

Hopefully she has been deported with a black mark on her passport, not just allowed to leave.

RAZZ

i couldn't say it better..... SOM NAM NA MAK MAAAAAAAK !!!! :D

The Thai government, Tourist association etc. will always look for excuses that has NOTHING to do with it ! They NEVER will confess that most stupidities come from themselves.

But it has always been like that and probably it will always stay like that..... poor people..... ( and still keeping their subjects dum... ).

LOS ? Don't make me laugh ! They treat most of the farangs like none-welcome people and now they are complaining that farang stay away..... Jeezes ! :D

I have the solutions....

Why not try these ideas

- MARKET Thailand as the DISNEYLAND OF DESTINATIONS

- Visa extensions available on arrival for a reasonable fee

- Flac Jackets at discount prices in the Airport

- The Business Card of an Honest Lawyer ( there's a good one ) Given to Tourists on arrival

- Free ATM withdrawals for 90 Days on Arrival

- Taxi Police at the Airport to make sure Drivers use the Meter.

THE LIST CAN GO ON , BUT I THINK OUR HOSTS MIGHT GET THE IDEA THAT WE ARE BEING TREATED SH*T WHILE HERE...

No Half Full or Half Empty Glass scenarios Please , "there is Half a Glass" is a REALISTIC view.

The internet has changed the way the world operates...

What can I say " We can see you , AMAZING THAILAND"

No way, not after all the negativity this week and I bet more to come this weekend.

Bali is back in vogue for Aussies, Thailand has been knock down and is now on the mat and will struggle to recover in the eyes of Australian couples and family tourists

Recently returned from a holiday in Bali and was amazed at the number of Australians holidaying there. Our hotel manager remarked that they had many bookings from people who had originally intended to go to Thailand but because of the airport chaos etc had decided on Bali. I asked him what evidence he had and he replied "just from discussions with my guests".I can confirm he was very amiable and did ask me why we chose Bali prior to the Thailand conversation. I hadnt been to Bali since 1975 and was pleasantly surprised by the still relaxed nature of the people , the excellent food and prices equal if not cheaper than Thailand.It was also the day of their national elections when we arrived, no stupid alcohol bans , no demonstrations, all very civilised.

The world is full of beautiful places and Thais better get their heads around that and go and see for themselves and consider what they are up against.

Well this Australian will be coming back in number. And as for Bali, i have planned a 17 day trip before i get to LoS . Have been looking on the net for a room similar to what i get in LoS and it cant be done. Not by me anyway. I wished i had never booked the Bali leg . I would much prefer to go straight to Phuket. Good hotel , free, wifi, etc. All the people that i meet there at this time of year will be there again. I think it may only be 1st timers in particular who may be holding back on a holiday to LoS.

Edited by carvets

The relative merits of the case on either side here are really besides the point. The damage has been done. Imagine a couple or a family sitting down with the holiday brochures or browsing the internet trying to decide which beach holdiay to book. As they look through the Phuket hotels, not only will they now be considering the high prices due to the exchange rate, but that story about the mother being jailed may just come to mind. It would be enough for many to turn to the next page and go to Bali.

This damage will not last forever, but as someone said before, a silly little incident like this would have done more damage than the multi million baht campaigns couild ever make up for.

Mt Thai wife is involved with the Thai Association in Australia

So here are some facts from the horses mouth

in this week over 1000 phones calls from Australian's giving their negative thoughts about Thai Police

Right or wrong this is the perception

The Thai Embassy in Canberra is taking 30 days to complete a visa application

and over 3 months to do a replacement passport for Thai's citizens thats expire

( a recent case is where 47 passports where renewed in Bkk over 3 weeks ago and have not yet been received by the Canberra Embassy ) well so they say

Thai airways has so many seat unfilled they are offering return tickets from Bris to Bkk for $450 Australian

These are the cold hard facts

So do your really believe those i Power in Thailand really care ?????? :)

Alot of people seem to come here to post, about how thats the nail in the coffin for Thailand, so why even come onto a Thai forum and post. Vote with your feet, why waste your time on Thai forum? I agree with yourself...This won't effect me living in Bangkok or loving the atmosphere in Thailand and the people.

From what I gather, the women stole what looks like a pretty cool bar mat, which would make a nice gift. She got caught then said it was joke, as if she would not notice that in her bag due to the size. Then she became totally disrespectful and became a loot from all accounts. I bet if I had this attitude in the UK, if I had started <deleted> and blinding at the police for stealing something, the police would have put summonsed me with a court order, I would have got possibly a £200+ fine and 100 hours of community service and it would have been in the local paper, after a court appearance for drunk and disorderly...

So what was different here, aprt from the complete arrogance of this women and lots of her natives regarding this issue. I m not talking about all aussies, but the ones who have became all self-rigtheous about this.

Look at what is happening in the UK, with corruption at the moment, claiming taxpayers money to live a life of luxury, paying mortgages, the heavy handed tactics of the police during the G20 etc etc...in the US the socialism for the rich at the expense of the middle and working class...

Just watch this to see if you think the US don't blow mountains from mole hills and restrict peoples liberties...

Police interrogation of a passenger

So lets drop the self-righteous, superiority complex people seem to adopt. And as I said vote with your feet, no one is asking you to come to Thailand. You dont need to come onto a Thai forum with several thousand posts to proclaim this. The world will continue to turn, you are not that important.