BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
george

Gloomy Outlook For Phuket Tourism

but if you are single or a loser or like a drink thailand will always be on the map .

dam_n, as i dont drink,.....i guess that makes me,...... "a single loser ",......oh the shame,....the shame . Will i look obvious as i go through Immigration ???? Will they stamp my passport with a " Single Loser " Visa ?

An off-topic post about “no thief” and the replies to it have been deleted.

--

Maestro

Interesting that they think Australians will come in numbers.

No way, not after all the negativity this week and I bet more to come this weekend.

Bali is back in vogue for Aussies, Thailand has been knock down and is now on the mat and will struggle to recover in the eyes of Australian couples and family tourists

Perhaps you have forgotten about things like the Bali bombing and Shapel Corby I think she has been in jail quite a bit longer than this woman.

I'll take Thailand over Bali any day. :)

Am so glad Phuket is hurting...despite my love of the place having been a frequent visitor for the past 10 years.

Bar prices across the board rediculous.... as with the club night spots.???

Why is street food 300 - 400% more expensive than Issan... where many of the folk come from to work.???

Why do the Thais adopt to policy of increase prices when a recession is on...rather than "do a deal" and compete.???

Why are Thai Airways cancelling flights to lucrative long haul destnations like London???

Why stupid 200 baht prices for beach chairs ???

Why overpriced and numerous noisy jetski polluting beaches and irritating folk???

Over pricing on beachside restaurants with the obligatory mistake on the Bill BY THE STAFF

Why are folk choosing other far east destinations to enjoy similar food climate and fun???

Why is building going on in Spanish type proportions in holiday spots.???

PERHAPS IT'S BECAUSE THE DAFT THAI'S ARE CONSUMED WITH GREED LIKE UK MP's

Enough said....Phuket R.I.P....UNLESS YOU GO BACK TO YOUR CORE VALUES

Well what a load of crap do the tourist ministers think we will swallow that nonsense flu bug my arse it annoys me that they keep pumping out excuse after excuse the thais might be fooled into believing this kind of tripe but here in the uk we know why its in a s t state its got nothing to do with recession flu credit crunch why can't thai visa contact someone from the tourism ministry and tell them we the tourist's do not want to be murdered mugged have our hard earned cash milked from us by tuk tuks jet ski tailours t-shirt sellers massage girls who abuse us when we dont want a massage. then theres the double pricing for falangs and the rip off artists that con us. Yes we fly for over 14 hours to get to your island and we deserve to be treated as a guest not someone they can do with as above. Put these points to the minister for tourism see if he acts.

from reading the previouse posts from the like's of phuketian who by all accounts spreads a tale like the tourist minister on phuket will he tell us why there are so many complaints about the tuk tuk mafia the jet ski rip offs the crime rate that has increased in the last 6 monthe's the price's for copied goods and the overall condition of the new beach pedestrian area where your like'ly to be run over by the locals who use it on there bike's and the state of the Soi's and the raw sewage pumped into patong bay at the end of the beach rd. On a reason thailand is known as a currupt country A female thai police officer has done a runner with 50 million baht collected mostly from her friends in the force over the last ten years as one senior officer admitted yes we knew it was a scam but we let it go because it was run by one of our own. at least in the uk ok our ministers have been rumbled but unlike thai corruption there booty will all be paid back and they are and will never be allowed into goverment again while im on a high has not your ex prime minister been found to be corrupt or did he just steal from the local thai. Im afraid your problems start at the top where from the start they are untouchable.

Interesting that they think Australians will come in numbers.

No way, not after all the negativity this week and I bet more to come this weekend.

Bali is back in vogue for Aussies, Thailand has been knock down and is now on the mat and will struggle to recover in the eyes of Australian couples and family tourists

Well this Australian will be coming back in number. And as for Bali, i have planned a 17 day trip before i get to LoS . Have been looking on the net for a room similar to what i get in LoS and it cant be done. Not by me anyway. I wished i had never booked the Bali leg . I would much prefer to go straight to Phuket. Good hotel , free, wifi, etc. All the people that i meet there at this time of year will be there again. I think it may only be 1st timers in particular who may be holding back on a holiday to LoS.

Bali - beutiful country, nice people, great food but I would not swap Thailand for Bali we just returned from a family vacation last month and I found the place expensive especially the day trips for the children. Bali does not offer anything more than what can be found in Thailand (I know before we get on the subject Volcano, layed rice fields etc) As a family vacation I would take Thailand over Bali every time.

This should not put anyone off going to Bali we had a great vacation and I was pleased we visited.

Edited by ChangMaiSausage

Could not agree with you more, the sort of behaviour this group has demonstrated can be seen in any major Australian city any weekend of the year. The only difference here is that the Thai Police had the backbone to arrest and charge her with the offence that had taken place (however minor it is).

The problem for this woman and her group was that they started mouthing of to the Thai police, so in my mind she got what she deserved.

All the shit that was being talked in the media in regard to them being singled out because they were women on their own and if they had a man with them to bribe the police she would have been ok, was certainly not the way to endear herself to the Thai Authorities.

If I run a business and people nick stuff all the time (does not matter what the dollar value is), there would come a point when enough is enough and I to would instruct staff to call the police and have them charged. If these mats are sold souveniers in his premises, then in my mind the bar owner is well within his rights to prosecute.

All the talk about why should an Aussie charge and Aussie with something so trivial should not even be discussed, if the women Aussie had not entered the Aussie bar owners bar, stolen one of the bars bar mats, tried to do a runner and then opened her big gob to the police, we would not be having this discussion.

There is nothing more Un Australian than going to another Aussie's bar and thieving from it. In my mind that is very Un Australian.

All I can hope is that the type of traveller that is bleeting "I am not going to Thailand" because of what happened here decide to go back to Bali or any other country and carry on like complete idiots their instead of Thailand.

I can assure you now, that knowing the Aussie mentality and with all the coverage that has been over here, this will not be the only person who gets charged with the bar mat nicking charge. The hottest game in Phuket will be how many towels can you nick without being caught. so bar owners beware.

I have drunk in the Aussie Bar a few times when I have been over and have no complaints whatsoever about the bar or the staff there and the fact that this has happened will not stop me drinking there. Why should it bother anyone if there is police working as security in the bar, to me it makes it a safer place to drink.

Steve, as you have a well run bar, I really do not think it will affect your business. It may even do you a favour by stopping the idiots & yobs coming into your bar that want to carry on like this.

In my mind, the weak person in all of this is the Thai Official who paid her fine, in my mind that is a big loss of face by doing that (Not Normal Thai Behaviour), and a stab in the back for the police who bought the charges.

Hopefully she has been deported with a black mark on her passport, not just allowed to leave.

This praising report paid for by ripped off tourists.

I bet Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia are just sitting back and laughing while their tourism is booming thanks to a few stupid incidents in Thailand. They should put that officer in jail for a year for trying to get 60 thousand baht for a mat from the lady after they caught her. I mean come on, It's like Thailand doesn't want to succeed. Anyway enjoy beautiful Malaysia, where a bar towel is not worth a year in jail or 60 thousand baht. That officer should be fined for all the problems he caused 60% drop in last year over a bar towel. Was it worth it?

Why fine the officer for doing what they probably have a training course for? IF they are trained? Its been said before that the lady got out her pram and started shaking her rattle. You just don't do that to a Thai without repercussions. Part of the Thai mentality.

What a shocker! Do you think overblown charges of mat-theft from Aussie bars will help or hurt those numbers?

I don't think Indians will be coming either, if my wife's travel alert is widespread. She works for a major INGO and the travel department there sent a warning to all employees worldwide about an incident where an Indian gentleman was jailed for "stealing" at a duty free shop in the BKK airport. What had happened was that the clerk stuck something extra in his bag. He either did not notice nor care, and was arrested asap. Apparently this happens a lot. Ever hear of that one!?!

In Australia a German couple for " A PRANK"wrote "A BOMB "on a bag then went to take it through customs but got scared and left it under a bench this was picked up by the cctv cameras.

They got a $1500 aus dollar fine. They thought it was funny.Man the Aussie goverment is sad,With the way the world is with issues of violence this was a slap on the hand.I'm glad the thai police are strict ,we are to soft here.

I live in Thailand too and have never been to Phuket. Perhaps the prices may come down to encourage tourism and I can actually afford to go...more Thai people may be able to go too, if the price is right. The TAT complain that Phuket is too expensive for Thai people. 'Get the whiskey love and load up the truck. We're off to the beach!'

I agree fully. I've thought from the start anyway that she did actually steal it, not a "prank". Sorry Aussie or not some people get off on shit like that. Your right the Thai official who paid her fine is the idiot (though because of who he is I imagine he got it back 10 minutes later), but it's about time us farangs got a little something back from the Thais.

The bar happens to be a great place and bar mats or no this certainly won't stop me from drinking there when I pass through. Don't be deluded about the undercovers though, I'm quite positive they weren't working security. Looking for someone selling yaba is more like it.

I had a drive around the south recently from Surat Thani to Krabi and spent a few days in Phi Phi and a few days at Khao Sok National Park....end of April time. I though it was absurdly expensive. 75 baht for noodle soup on Phi Phi which can be bought here in Ratchaburi for 25. I am happy to pay a little more but 200%, sorry no. I thought the price of a hotel room was obscene ... 1000 baht for a 400 baht room elsewhere, no aircon, no TV. The only saving grace was it included a reasonably good buffet breakfast. Overpricing and overcharging really were the norm. Service appalling. My wife is heavily pregnant, offered no assistance with bags at one of Khao Sok's premier destinations. . We went to stay at a hotel in Krabi that offered a stay for three nights and get the fourth free. An internet promotion on the hotel's own website, in fact the only promotion it was offering. When I enquired about the promotion I was asked "Which promotion?!" The assistant said she would need to check with her boss. After one night the girl said "no promotion, sorry, but you can stay for 800 bat per night" which was the advertised daily rate. We left, took our business elsewhere. This assistant lost her hotel two nights of paying customers. At Ao Nang we saw something amazing. A beach side massage place with a sign offering "50 % discount". Guess what? It was full of people while the adjoining competition was empty. I suspect the best bet right now is to pay for a package and come in as a genuine two week visitor. However if you are an independent traveller I think the south of Thailand and I include Phuket is likely to be an unpleasant and expensive experience regardless of the outstanding natural beauty of the area. I would say the locals are doing a good job of killing off the business that has not already been put off by other events referred to in other postings. Sad really.