BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
george

Gloomy Outlook For Phuket Tourism

I see now they are changing the name from 'LOW SEASON' to 'SUMMER SEASON' Can you imagine some poor sods of a family looking at the brochures and reading that it's now 'SUMMER SEASON' in Phuket so lets go there as it's bound to be sunny as its SUMMER SEASON there. Only to arrive and find out it'd p*****g down and likely to be every day they are here after spending thousands of pounds, euro's or dollars to get here. What a con! They will say and do anything just to get the room occupancy rate up. They don't give a dam about the poor tourists who have to shell out their hard earned savings to come here for holidays. I think it's a disgrace to con people like this.

ha ha ha good one tourists from Australia. After last weeks stuff up by phuket you will be very lucky if you ever see another aussie. Come to phuket have a beer and we will stictch you up for 2 to 5 years make sure you never leave. Any tourist going to Thailand is running the risk of being locked up from the time they get of the plane.

I see now they are changing the name from 'LOW SEASON' to 'SUMMER SEASON' Can you imagine some poor sods of a family looking at the brochures and reading that it's now 'SUMMER SEASON' in Phuket so lets go there as it's bound to be sunny as its SUMMER SEASON there. Only to arrive and find out it'd p*****g down and likely to be every day they are here after spending thousands of pounds, euro's or dollars to get here. What a con! They will say and do anything just to get the room occupancy rate up. They don't give a dam about the poor tourists who have to shell out their hard earned savings to come here for holidays. I think it's a disgrace to con people like this.

I approve of this post and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. :)

among serious competitors i'd tip PI to give thailand a very tough competition in the very near future. i was there few months ago and i've seen some of the most spectacular sceneries you won't find anywhere else in sea. infrastructure and tourism projects are going on extensively a local friend there told me that tourism industry has gained a lot in the fast few years and the government is pouring in millions of dollars right now in tourism. i've been in cebu and bohol and i see the potential of these areas as prime destinations for both tourists and expats. a lot has to be done though as poverty looks very widespread over there. i've met some expats and they seem to enjoy living there

Mt Thai wife is involved with the Thai Association in Australia

So here are some facts from the horses mouth

in this week over 1000 phones calls from Australian's giving their negative thoughts about Thai Police

Right or wrong this is the perception

The Thai Embassy in Canberra is taking 30 days to complete a visa application

and over 3 months to do a replacement passport for Thai's citizens thats expire

( a recent case is where 47 passports where renewed in Bkk over 3 weeks ago and have not yet been received by the Canberra Embassy ) well so they say

Thai airways has so many seat unfilled they are offering return tickets from Bris to Bkk for $450 Australian

These are the cold hard facts

So do your really believe those i Power in Thailand really care ?????? :)

I dont know about the other facts, but you should try the consulate in Melbourne they took a whole two days for my visa application last year

Mt Thai wife is involved with the Thai Association in Australia

So here are some facts from the horses mouth

in this week over 1000 phones calls from Australian's giving their negative thoughts about Thai Police

Right or wrong this is the perception

The Thai Embassy in Canberra is taking 30 days to complete a visa application

and over 3 months to do a replacement passport for Thai's citizens thats expire

( a recent case is where 47 passports where renewed in Bkk over 3 weeks ago and have not yet been received by the Canberra Embassy ) well so they say

Thai airways has so many seat unfilled they are offering return tickets from Bris to Bkk for $450 Australian

These are the cold hard facts

So do your really believe those i Power in Thailand really care ?????? :)

That's not true I can't get a seat in July fully booked out.

For Europe we are talking the worst economic recession since world war 2 and that means a loss of jobs and Fear of losing jobs and that all goes back to the banking collapse.

But for Thailand the "nail in the coffin" and the one which received big media coverage here in the UK was the coverage of the international airport long takeover last Christmas & the pictures of international politicians being airlifted out of Pataya and a day or so later the international pictures showing the Thailand Prime Minister' s car and his security team left isolated and under threat from the mob.

These images do not go away especially for security - minded Europeans & North Americans who think - if this can happen in Bangkok and to its leaders etc., what the hel_l would happen to ordinary folk and how vulnerable Thailand must be to external Terrorism etc.,

As social scientists and media students have long noted if you have little knowledge of something like a far away foreign country your only image and information is what is put on the TV screen and over the last year or so that's been sadly distorted.

Meh... Haven't you heard? She's been released from custody, free to go home after being fined 1000 Baht, which the Governor of Phuket payed on her behalf. The whole thing got blown out of proportion, and the Governor did the sensible thing by intervening, probably realizing how ridiculous the whole fiasco was, and the effect that it would have had on tourism, had it been allowed to continue.

Getting caught stealing a bar mat in Thailand is the least of my concerns, mainly because it is completely avoidable (i.e. don't steal bar mats, or anything, for that matter). There are plenty of other things I'd worry about in Thailand before that, and in spite of them all, I'll still go back. Call me crazy.

Oevna, Haven't you heard that she was jailed for 4 days, threatened with a 5 year prison term, had to retain thai lawyers, aussie lawyers and get the aussie diplomatic core involved :D Now that sure seems like a lot of trouble, not too mention wasted savings for someone slipping a bar towel into her purse as a prank, nice holiday in thailand eh :) Sadly this small incident is indicative of a much larger problem in thailand. I would imagine that Aussie tourisim numbers to the LOS will be dropping precipitously and that this particular aussie establishment in Phuket will notice a massive drop off in business.

Okay. I admit it, I don't have a dog in this fight. But, if folks are interested in visiting a backward SE Asian country, might I suggest Vietnam? We are as behind the times as Thailand and we have our own collection of cultural anomalies, scenic views, Buddhist temples, historic sites, etc. and so on. Plus, you don't hear horrible stories of foreign tourists being tortured by the local constabulary over some minor incident. Vietnam is interested in your tourist money and doesn't make an all-out grab for it in every which way possible. Our taxis tend to be metered and honest, our food is generally safe (don't eat the shrimp paste that comes with dog meat), Vietnamese nationals are friendly and engaging, females (and males, for that matter) are incredibly attractive as a general rule, and everything comes at a MUCH lower price than in the Land of Smiles. I'll respectfully pass on the subject of political stability. Add it all together, why would any sane person want to visit Thailand?

but if you are single or a loser or like a drink thailand will always be on the map .

There's nowhere else on the planet to get a drink,become a loser or find a bar girl after all,is there? :)

Still,hope you're enjoying it! :D

It is the perception among people who would have come to Phuket which matters. If they think they are going to be arrested for doing nothing, then they won't come.
Yes indeed, perception is everything, few take time to read the back-story, after a rapid deluge of headlines reporting on over the top, blown out of proportion events, the damage is already done. :) Edited by cobra

Interesting that they think Australians will come in numbers.

No way, not after all the negativity this week and I bet more to come this weekend.

Thailand has been knock down and is now on the mat and will struggle to recover in the eyes of Australian couples and family tourists

please leave my mat out of this (ooh its sorely missed) and what a load of codswallop about the flu, if the exchange rate was back to 70 or so tourists would return i believe in very good numbers, oh boy arrive Saturday in Phuket for a nice break from the rat race back here.

Cheers Wap

Okay. I admit it, I don't have a dog in this fight. But, if folks are interested in visiting a backward SE Asian country, might I suggest Vietnam? We are as behind the times as Thailand and we have our own collection of cultural anomalies, scenic views, Buddhist temples, historic sites, etc. and so on. Plus, you don't hear horrible stories of foreign tourists being tortured by the local constabulary over some minor incident. Vietnam is interested in your tourist money and doesn't make an all-out grab for it in every which way possible. Our taxis tend to be metered and honest, our food is generally safe (don't eat the shrimp paste that comes with dog meat), Vietnamese nationals are friendly and engaging, females (and males, for that matter) are incredibly attractive as a general rule, and everything comes at a MUCH lower price than in the Land of Smiles. I'll respectfully pass on the subject of political stability. Add it all together, why would any sane person want to visit Thailand?

one suspects you have an interest in Vietnam, but your picture is certainly very attractive, and i have heard many other recommendations, and if it was not for visiting a wonderful lady in Phuket very soon i would be seriously considering Vtnam, certainly a good idea for future travels though (oh and the ladies are stunning, ooh what a giveaway you plonker!!)

Anyone who makes a vacation decision based on whether it's called Low Season or Summer Season deserves whatever they get. Marketing a place is not "conning" people - it's what every holiday destination does! Maybe if they just leave it as Low Season, the poor tourists will know to expect rain!!!!

Bird/Swine Flu? I can get that here in the Uk I don't need to travel anywhere to get it. I came to thailand regularly when Bird Flu was supposed to be rife. I have risked Dengui fever (spelling! sorry), being run over by Tuk Tuk, eaten bugs etc etc etc. I am not coming back because they had a coup, yellow shirt demonstrations and they are happy to shoot their own people who wear red shirts or anyone else that might be in the firing line. On top of that, standards have dropped and prices have risen and I am not happy about the general attitude toward Farangs on holiday in Thailand, especially the capitol city. Singapore and Malaysia here I come. Flu ??? Pah!

Edited by Lusso