What Did He Want?

Carmine6

Over a year ago I was walking south along 2nd Road. Can't remember exactly where, but it wasn't a very busy area, I think somewhere near where Central is now. Perhaps 10AM so some activity, but not many people around.

Some youngish, reasonably dressed guy on a small motorcycle comes zipping up to me. Dead stops at the curb and asks "You speak English?" I take a quick look and just keep walking. So he honks his horn and says "Hey." Then more honks, "Hey." I kept going.

With that level of adamancy, what did he want?

your number.....

How the hel_l should we know???

Could be. I've been told I'm handsome.

so this has bothered you for over a year??

Yes, it's haunted me. I feel like I missed the opportunity of a lifetime.

Well either that or I just want to know what people come up with, what kind of crap gets peddled to people just walking down the road. I don't care what that guy wanted. No innocent converstation starts with "You speak English?"

Yes, it's haunted me. I feel like I missed the opportunity of a lifetime.

Why dont you rekindle old times and take another walk down memory lane, you may see him again or some other Thai riding a motorbike may ask you if you speak english, then you can stop and see what he wants.

Timeshare salesman,

Almost certainly. :)

That's what I thought based on that other thread. Was wondering if someone would come up with something else. Given the state of world economies, I'd guess this guy has long ago gone home or fallen off a balcony.

I should clarify he wasn't Thai.

Edited by Carmine6

Timeshare salesman,

Almost certainly. :)

That's what I thought based on that other thread. Was wondering if someone would come up with something else. Given the state of world economies, I'd guess this guy has long ago gone home or fallen off a balcony.

You dont know what he wanted but now you know he could have jumped of the balcony,wow you are brilliant.

A similar thing happened to me a while back at Jomtien. A guy pulls up on a bike and ask if you speak English. I didn't have anything better to do so I listened to his pitch. His "group" was having a party on Jomtien beach that afternoon and he was giving out free raffel tickets to get people to attend. The party was actually a sales type meeting where they tried to sell you timeshares or condos. If you didn't have anything better to do might be a way to kill some time and maybe even win a prize! My guess is that's what the guy that approaced you was pushing.

Happened to me two days ago in Jomtien outside the Kodak shop. Guy on a motorbike roars up and asks me if I am Australian, So I then asked him if if he had a work permit and he went away :)

Parasites, get a real job for fifty years like I had to.

Can't beleive I've just wasted 2 minutes of my life reading that!

Me too! Can’t work out who’s more stupid the people who have replied to this post or the people who have read it................oops I have just become both! :)

>Over a year ago I was walking south along 2nd Road. Can't remember exactly where, but it wasn't a very busy area,

Selling timeshare or watch or goldchains etc.

Been offered similar in the past.

This has really been bothering you to post after a year!

Now finally it has been put to rest you can again sleep easy...

I think he was trying to sell you a timeshare bar.

50 guys buys a bar and drinks for half price.

All tourist thinks It must be good because so many customers.

So the tourists pay for rent and salary.

Timeshare salesman,

He just wanted to tell you you just won a price.

Or a prize, even. Definitely timeshare scam. I'm stopped half a dozen times each trip. It's just another version of the students stopping you to fill in questonaires so they can get your hotel / room number for someone to ring & give you a sales pitch.