Young Brit Dies In Phuket Motorbike Smash

george

Young Brit dies in Phuket motorbike smash

PHUKET CITY: -- A young British teacher died from injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident on Chao Fa East Road in the early hours of yesterday morning.

Phillip Ian Mussell, 24, was returning to his home in the Chalong area following a night out drinking with friends at the Roxy Bar in Phuket City when the accident happened at around 3.45am.

Duty Officer Kitthiphum Thinthalang of Phuket City Police said Mr Mussell’s bike lost its grip on the road near the entrance to the Phuket Villa 3 housing estate.

It was raining heavily at the time.

The bike smashed into the back of a pickup parked at the side of the road, causing Mr Mussell to sustain severe internal injuries.

No motorcycle helmet was found at the scene, Capt Kitthiphum said.

He was brought to Vachira Hospital Phuket at around 4.10am. Doctors operated on Mr Mussell, but were unable to save his life. He died at 6:45am.

Mr Mussell had lived in Thailand for at least a year and a half, working as an English teacher for the ECC language school.

Merseyside Police informed Mr Mussell’s family of his death yesterday evening, British time.

British Honorary Consul Martin Carpenter said, “I’ve spoken to the people from ECC. They said he was very well liked by all of his colleagues. The lady I spoke to said ‘he was such a nice guy’.”

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-05-22

RIP however an important lesson:

"after a night drinking" and "no helmet was found at the scene" - something tells me that he (as many others) was probably (and I am only speculating here) drinking and then drove back home without a helmet, and he *might* have been better off if those two factors were taken out of the equation?

I don't quite understand why opinions are deleted on stories like this.

The Phuket Gazette story clearly states the guy had been out drinking and no helmet was found near the accident scene.

Are we to simply ignore these facts and stick to the RIP, too young, too bad comments?

It is sad that this guy died, but I can't help but think, based on the information given, there were some very bad decisions involved.

Not good, RIP, just a waste! We all know the risks (if it were the case) of drinking, driving and no helmet....something (if it was the case) he would have known only too well! Now his family have to go through the pain of losing a young brother/son etc. Everyone loses!

Booze and bikes - a recipe for instant death. The helmet had nothing to do with it. Some responsibility should be taken by the so-called 'mates' who saw what he had drunk and allowed him ride ride. I hope they live with their irresponsible behaviour for the rest of their lives. :)

Another tragic death, but it could have been avoided.

Don't drink and drive, or ride in this case.

I also agree with Texpat, why not let people voice their opinions, stop deleting posts, if it is really unkind or insensitive then okay. But the fact remains he was out drinking!!!!and should have known better.

I don't quite understand why opinions are deleted on stories like this.

The Phuket Gazette story clearly states the guy had been out drinking and no helmet was found near the accident scene.

Are we to simply ignore these facts and stick to the RIP, too young, too bad comments?

It is sad that this guy died, but I can't help but think, based on the information given, there were some very bad decisions involved.

Yes that is the going procedure here. Nothing but good about the dead. But it is really often a case of som nam naa. Even well liked people drink too much, do not wear motor helmets and drive too fast. It is no exception, the number of motorcyclists killed in LOS is huge. And most of them have themselves to blame.

Young Brit dies in Phuket motorbike smash

2 other young Brits (23 y.o.) died in pattaya, also bike crash :

Two die in Thai motorbike crash

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/8063691.stm

_45809752_mattalexcomp.jpg

Alex George and Matthew Jenkins, who are believed to be from Llanelli, Carmarthenshire and both aged 23, died in the early hours of Friday morning.

There are no official reports from the Thai police but a local newspaper said the crash happened in Northern Pattaya.

Witnesses reportedly told Thai police that the bike the two men were riding crashed into a pavement in front of a supermarket.

RIP

Booze and bikes are a dangerous combination. Riding without a helmet only compounds the danger. I used to do all of that when I was this kids age. I was lucky and survived but a number of friends were not.

Thailand could really benefit from a national motorcycle safety campaign. I know, wishful thinking...

Ride On!

Tony

Booze and bikes - a recipe for instant death.

That is true.

The [lack of a] helmet had nothing to do with it.

That is a ridiculous statement to make.

Some responsibility should be taken by the so-called 'mates' who saw what he had drunk and allowed him ride ride.

That is also true.

RIP however an important lesson:

"after a night drinking" and "no helmet was found at the scene" - something tells me that he (as many others) was probably (and I am only speculating here) drinking and then drove back home without a helmet, and he *might* have been better off if those two factors were taken out of the equation?

Yes, I agree, this seems to be the case.

A tragic loss of a young man.

another recent bike incident, another brit, wez, my friend, was fortunate to escape the kiss of death with only one broken arm and a broken foot. he too woke up in the hospital in extreme agony without being able to recall what really happened. the owner of the pickup truck slowing down near the railroad crossing reported to the police that wez was zizzling through the curve and smacked into the side

of their pickup which was traveling in the same direction and therefore was fortunate to be alive. wez ended up paying 180,000+ baht medical bill.

yes, my friend was extremely fortunate to have all his faculty members back at the cost of only 180,000 baht. he vowed never to mix the two devils again--DRINK AND DRIVE!

Phil didn't die from a head injury.

The speculation about him wearing a helmet is irrelevant at this stage.

The grief of his friends here in Phuket and his immediate family, who, by the way, may very well read this, is incalculable.

Please leave insensitive comments off here.

Does no one on here think 'there by the grace of God go I' or something similar?

And Navalator, i can assure you that Phil most certainly did not have a death wish. He had everything to live for.

This is a tragic loss of life for a young man here in Phuket. Please consider his friends and family's thoughts when posting on here.

I have deleted a number of insensitive posts out of respect to the dead man & his family. Discussion of the facts are allowed, and mention of helmet (or not) and drinking (or not), with a positive message, as in best not to drink & drive, will be allowed.

Let's keep this topic polite & civilised, thank you.

following a night out drinking with friends at the Roxy Bar in Phuket City

pglogo.jpg

as has been pointed out, friends don't let friends drive drunk, but in this instance it appears like everyone had been drinking... if the whole lot were drinking, then *all* of them had lost some capacity of rational thought and decision-making... maybe all the others rode off on cycles too. this points out the need in many cases for a "designated driver", or in this case someone in the group to drink lightly and make the right decisions at the right time.

Mr Mussell's bike lost its grip on the road near the entrance to the Phuket Villa 3 housing estate. It was raining heavily at the time.

pglogo.jpg

weather has a tremendous effect on motorcycle safety! i find it dangerous to ride a motorbike when the roads are slick, or where there is loose sand/gravel, or in poor visibility (like having your glasses/visor fog up or have rain on it). the heavy rain may have been a critical factor here... this gentleman may not have been drinking much at all!

No motorcycle helmet was found at the scene, Capt Kitthiphum said.

pglogo.jpg

riding without a helmet is clearly not a good idea... but there are lots of issues here (time for another thread!)... peer pressure, lack of that helmeting habit, dislike of the feel/fit (especially on a hot day), and lack of local police enforcement (nearly everyone wears a helmet in bkk!). i think anyone that has been in LOS long enough has seen at least several motorcycle accidents and should realize the benefit of wearing a helmet. tourists are another matter -- they seem to think the normal rules of safety back home don't apply while on vacation. (and the poor helmets that the rental shops offer are another issue -- i always bring my own!).

we all have made poor decisions, especially after drinking. by the grace of god most of us survive those judgment lapses. everyone should take note and remember that there are always options, like leaving the bike overnight and taking a taxi home.

Edited by robanywhere

Booze and bikes - a recipe for instant death. The helmet had nothing to do with it. Some responsibility should be taken by the so-called 'mates' who saw what he had drunk and allowed him ride ride. I hope they live with their irresponsible behaviour for the rest of their lives. :)

However it has to be said that a tuk tuk mafia that wants 300 - 500 baht to go a km or two, and forces bus services out of business, and stops routes opening, in many ways forces people onto bikes after drinking who would prefer to use a transport service.. Lets not forget a english teachers salary is fairly restricted and the tuk tuks dont care about resident local or not when it comes to pricing.

Of course ultimately the blame is his own.. But the system in place has a bearing.

Of course a helmet has something to do with it. Should always wear a helmet, especially if it's raining, and especially if you've been drinking.

As far as I know, everyone had been drinking at the bar that night. And most of them drove home on bikes. One drunk person driving home isn't going to tell another drunk person not to do the same. Ultimately we have to take responsibility for our own decisions. Unfortunately young people (and old people) make bad decisions, and particularly so when they've had a bit to drink.

This is terribly sad. Hopefully it will serve as a reminder of what can happen to all those who drive drunk and are lucky enough to have never been in an accident.

LivingLOS has a very good point though- if there was some reasonably priced public transport on the island this kind of tragedy wouldn't happen anywhere near as often. The tuk-tuk mafia have a lot to answer for.

Edited by phuketster

I have deleted a number of insensitive posts out of respect to the dead man & his family. Discussion of the facts are allowed, and mention of helmet (or not) and drinking (or not), with a positive message, as in best not to drink & drive, will be allowed.

Let's keep this topic polite & civilised, thank you.

Thanks Livinginkata!

I think it is a psychological need felt by many posters to blame victims and thus denying the fact that it could happen to themselves as well.

It could also have been a hole in the road, another vehicle or a dog that suddenly crossed that caused the accident.

That idea is frightening also for non-drinkers, because it's treathening to anybody who drives a motorbike.

The idea that the accident was caused by drinking and driving is therefore much more comfortable for the non-drinker/driver, so other possible causes of the accident tend to be excluded on forehand.

The same phenomenon occurs concerning trouble with the Royal Thai Police in their less noble moments.

Many posters automatically defend the police in these cases, because they can't live with the thought that they could be the victim oneself one day of bad elements within the police corps. Better deny it and blame it on the victim than to live with an unsecure feeling.

Everybody tends to be willing to say "this couldn't happen to me" and those with the greatest fear want to say it loud, respectively publish it in a forum. It helps many of them to protect their inner calm. It's their way to cope with it.

Good that you saw it Livinginkata!

Limbo :)

My condoleances for the family and friends.

Now that is an excellent comment. Any responsible person /friend should have stopped him. Even the bar owner could have done this.

This young man not only got killed, he could have caused an accident involving innocent bystanders. His friends should be ashamed.

Edited by Schauerte

Booze and bikes are a dangerous combination. Riding without a helmet only compounds the danger. I used to do all of that when I was this kids age. I was lucky and survived but a number of friends were not.

Thailand could really benefit from a national motorcycle safety campaign. I know, wishful thinking...

Yes this is wishful thinking.Thai authorities don`t care about a few hundred killed in the traffic every year.They show this very clear.In the developed world there is a lot of rules made effective to protect life.In Thailand they don`t even consider any rules.A simple but effective rule is to always use lights when driving.The government would probably make a lot of money if they effected such a rule.A small fine for everybody driving without lights would bring in a shitload of money the first year.But they don`t care.

these stories are all sad, and my sympathies goes's to the deceased family and friends. I hope other people reading the forum can see the common pattern - no helmet, DRINKING, possibly speeding, driving in poor conditions rain , and all that's without the soi dog having a bad day and just walking out in the road !!