Car Rental In The Us

I don't think it is possible. As far as I know, the U.S. does not recognize the international driver's license. If you are not legal to drive, no company will rent you a car.

The Department of State permits 2 organisations in the US to issue International Driving Licenses.

As such, you might conclude the International driving License is recognised by the US authorities, if accompanied by a valid national driving license, with translation if necessary.

The new Thai license is in Thai and in English, so a translation is not needed.

Also, th US is a signatory of the convention (1968 I thought), concluding the International Driving license is valid in the US.

Friend of mine, armed with an IDL and a Dutch one happily rented a car in New York.

He was duly pestered by some country cowboy about the validity, cost him 3 hours, but after some phone calls he was on his merry way again.

Which shows that the police in the US is not always up to date.

All other police checks did not bring any trouble at all.

However, I have no idea if this also applies to a US national!

Edited by hansnl

I believe by law you, as an American citizen, are required to have a US Licence to drive in the US. Much as you must have and use an American passport for entry/exit. However do not believe most rental companies will be that strict. But in case of legal proceedings (accident) there might be a problem. I have always maintained my US licence for that reason.

Here's Avis: http://www.avis.com/search/SearchMain.jsp?...;direction=next

...Driver's licenses accepted in the U.S. are:

* A license issued by a country that participated in the 1949 Geneva convention on Road Traffic or the 1943 Convention on the Regulation of Inter-American Automobile Traffic.

* A license issued by a country that has a reciprocal agreement with the U.S.

For more information, please call 800-331-1212. International Driver's Permits are valid only if presented with the original local license. An International Driver's Permit it not acceptable by itself. ...

Hertz:

Question

If I have a driver's license from a different country, would I be allowed to drive in the United States?

Answer

If the drivers license can be translated by a Hertz representative, then yes, you would be able to drive in the US. If not, then a International driving permit will be strongly recommended, in addition to your country of residence valid driver's license.

For U.S. and International location policy, click on "Reservations" on the navigation menu on the left side. Next click on "Qualifications & Requirements", then enter the rental location. Next click on "Driver's License" in the topic menu.

I believe by law you, as an American citizen, are required to have a US Licence to drive in the US. Much as you must have and use an American passport for entry/exit. However do not believe most rental companies will be that strict. But in case of legal proceedings (accident) there might be a problem. I have always maintained my US licence for that reason.

If you are an American citizen, and your address of record is in Thailand as mine is, you cannot have an American drivers License. A Thai Drivers license, with an international drivers Permit is permissible.

Barry

I have had foreign address all my life and no problem getting US Licence. My current Florida has had my foreign address on it for the last 15 years and is renewed online.

Edited by lopburi3