Moving To Ban Chang

QED

Hi,

I am moving to BC from Pattaya for work, as I don't fancy the commute every day. My only knowledge of BC is stopping at the bars on the way home from golf, so would appreciate some advice on where to rent a house.

I was thinking maybe Sattahip as it would be closer to Pattaya for weekends but not far from work, but where else, and are there any nice areas in BC itself? Rental budget is around 10-15k p/m.

Thanks

why don't you check out the forum threads first before posting a new one?

this question has already been discussed in depth in the eastern thailand forum - just have a look

I did thanks, and couldn't find anything relating specifically to my question, but if you would like to provide a link that would be more useful than posting snide comments.

Thanks Zaphod, I will check the beach areas out. Probably need to stay in the area for a while before committing to anything long term.

Hi all,

spent the weekend driving about looking for places to rent, found a really nice place in Nam Rin but at 20k p/m it's a little more than I expected to pay in this area (it's still on the possible list as it was really nice).

There seems to be a distinct lack of real estate agents in Ban Chang, I found one next to the Camel, but he hasn't got anything really suitable, and the places I have looked at have been sourced myself or word of mouth.

So I thought I would throw it out on the forum. Any board members have places to rent (or know someone who does)? Looking for a house 2-3 bedrooms, preferably under 20k. Towards the beaches would be preferential but not set in stone. I will be working in Central BC and don't really want more than a 10/15 min drive to work. Any leads gratefully received and rewarded with a beer.

Cheers,

QED.

In July there'll be an exodus of Koreans from Roma Talay 1, Shinthavee Park and Shintavee Gardens so there may be some good deals to be picked up.

Thanks PP, will bear that in mind. I am trying to secure a short term deal on a house which isn't really ideal, but would give me time to look around. Seems nobody wants to do less than a year, even if it means losing out on a tenant for 3-6 months.

spent the weekend driving about looking for places to rent, found a really nice place in Nam Rin but at 20k p/m it's a little more than I expected to pay in this area (it's still on the possible list as it was really nice).

I also took a drive to check out the area as we are looking for land to build a house somewhere south of Pattaya. It's a bit too far for my tastes. IMHO, THB 20k is really high unless the place is REALLY nice. It's a renter's/buyer's market. THB 13-15k or so is what I would expect to pay for a nice, fully furnished 2-3 BR in that area.

I also took a drive to check out the area as we are looking for land to build a house somewhere south of Pattaya. It's a bit too far for my tastes. IMHO, THB 20k is really high unless the place is REALLY nice. It's a renter's/buyer's market. THB 13-15k or so is what I would expect to pay for a nice, fully furnished 2-3 BR in that area.

Sorry to disagree....20k is about right to rent a decent place, been living in the area for 8 years and even when I first came here 8 years ago a decent place costed you 9-12k

Agreed Soutpeel, I have actually now rented the 20k place. I saw several places in the 12-15k range that were pretty sh1tty compared to this. I actually got her down from 25k, and have seen similar places up for 30-35k, so I reckon I got a bargain.

I was told that BC was cheap as chips for renting, but as far as I can see it's about the same as Pattaya.

Rayong province has the highest per capita income in all of Thailand.

With the exception of Rayong town, in Rayong Ban Chang is the place where all the high income earners live.

So it stands to reason that it's not cheap as chips.

R

The other point is that Pattaya has supply outstripping demand - hence competition keeping things affordable ( even though the full range of sky high prices to basic basic can also be found there whilst Ban Chang is on a much smaller scale and demand does not outstrip supply here !

Agreed Soutpeel, I have actually now rented the 20k place. I saw several places in the 12-15k range that were pretty sh1tty compared to this. I actually got her down from 25k, and have seen similar places up for 30-35k, so I reckon I got a bargain.

I was told that BC was cheap as chips for renting, but as far as I can see it's about the same as Pattaya.

It's actually more expensive than Pattaya.

The average income in Thailand stands at 9,700 Baht per person.

Rayong offers more employment than most provinces. Consider this- many migrate from other provinces all over Thailand to find employment. Rayong is one of those provinces receiving migrants not losing them.

So there is little unemployment here, many finding work even if just manual labour in many of the industrial set ups around maptaput. Many Thai families stick together, 3 generations in one house, with variable incomes but most in employment, compare this with homes elsewhere and you'll find lots of people out of work being supported by others.

So on one level, a low skilled labour force can earn more here than elsewhere- maybe getting 10-15,000 and therefore all the small rooms get rented out easily leaving little available on the open market and keeping prices high

On the next level, professional Thais get the chance to work for national companies here and international ones- earning good salaries- 25-60,000. With 2 good incomes coming into one house like this household income is high enough to fill all the house on the mid price market

On the next level foreigners working in international companies are buying up and renting homes at the top level.

and I forgot to mention the Thai navy / airforce officers from Sattahip and Utapao who also have good incomes and like to have nice big houses to park their nice big cars outside too

so you see - the area has more than its fair share of high income earners ( in thai terms 25K + )