Getting To Kanchanaburi From Bangkok

westbounder

I am living in Chiang Mai, I want to go to Kanchanburi for a week. What is the best way to get there? If possible, I prefer to fly into Don Muang airport (first choice). What do I do next.

Are there nice hotels in Kanchanaburi?

Thank you

Joe

I am living in Chiang Mai, I want to go to Kanchanburi for a week. What is the best way to get there? If possible, I prefer to fly into Don Muang airport (first choice). What do I do next.

Thank you

Joe

Hi 'westbounder',

Looks like you are as well 'West bound' to this Province. :D

Depending on your budget:-

1. Take a taxi to Kan 1,500 - 2500 Baht approx :)

2. A bus from the Southern Bus Station, Blue and White No. 81. DO NOT take the Blue, White and Orange Bus No. 81 as it will take you over 4 hours to get there, going into all villlages.

3. As 'saintofsilence' mentioned, catch the mini bus

i think the fare is about 80 baht
more than that now btw.

Second part of your post

Trip Advisor

and then Visit My Website

Hope this helps you. Have a great time in this Province.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

P.S. need more help, PM me. :D

Edited by Kan Win

If possible, I prefer to fly into Don Muang airport (first choice). What do I do next?

The closest bus station to Don Muang is Mo Chit. Taxi costs about 150Baht including airport fee. Takes about 30mins, but i was in a bit of traffic.

There are only 4 buses per day thou (95Baht) from Mo Chit to Kanchanaburi at 0800/1100/1430/1700hrs takes about 3 hours.

Taxi from Airport to Mo Chit BST Skytrain Station then head for Victory Monument(4 stops) then minibus to Kan's

From the Southern Bus Station, they leave every 20 minutes between 0500hrs to 2230hrs and takes 2 hours. Buy your ticket upstairs at the Blue Window Booths Number 80(i think). Cost 99 Baht. But a taxi from Don Muang could take an hour or more in traffic.

What's your budget for hotels?

Sorry haven't got a personal website for you to visit :)

Hope you enjoy Kan's

Boycie

Further to the other good advice already given, understand that there is a NEW Southern bus station than the old one that is closer to Bangkok. The older bus station also has trips to Kanchanburi, but they take the slow route and stop everywhere along the way. The NEW southern bus station is much larger and further west by several kilometers. If Don Muang airport is still operating for domestic flights then that's the place to fly to from Chiang Mai. I heard Don Muang was supposed to be closing down. It's much further from Suvarnaboomcrash. If you decide to take a taxi from Don Muang to the new southern bus station then be sure to explain that to the taxi driver. I was once taken to the older bus station by mistake and it took me 4 hours to reach Kanchanaburi. Because the southern bus station is a bit out of town the taxi can stay on main highways to circumvent the worse traffic in the down town core. I think it only cost me 250 baht for the taxi from Don Muang to the southern bus terminal.

As already stated, you have to buy your tickets upstairs on the 3rd floor and then carry you bags all the way back down. The lower two floors are for food sales and merchandise. It was designed that way to force people to buy something. The platform you leave from is behind the terminal from the main entrance.

I normally stay at the VL Lodge which is a nice guest house that serves OK meals. It is on the main road towards the famous bridge, and only 5 minutes from the Kanchanaburi bus terminal. The room rates are about 400 baht with air conditioning. It is almost next door to my favourite pub... The 4 Nines, owned by a pleasant Scot.

It makes a good center for travel to other destinations. Be sure to take the day trip to Mt Erawan waterfalls.

Yes train is a pleasant and cheap way to travel there.

I am not sure if you can go direct from Don Muang train station, or would first have to go into Hua Lamphong and then another train out.

On arrival in Kanchanaburi, From memory, it would be more central to get off at the stop before the bridge stop.

On the other hand, its just a good days drive, about 750kms if i recall.

Edited by Lancashirelad

There are two trains a day from Bangkok Thonburi station (also known as Bangkok Noi, on the west side of the river in Bangkok, Pier 11) to Kanchanaburi.

Departs at 0745/1355hrs arrives at Kanchanaburi Main Station 1025/1619hrs cost one way 100Baht. No reservation required - just turn up, buy a ticket and hop on.

Beware, the new BTS Skytrain Station S7 Krung Thon Buri does not connect with Thonburi Railway Station.

In addition to these daily trains, there is also a special railcar (2nd class air-conditioned) for day trippers on Saturdays, Sundays & holidays. It leaves Bangkok Hualamphong station at 06:30 for Kanchanaburi at 09:30. Special fares apply, 200 baht air-con, 100 baht non-air-con, reservation required.

Boycie.

Yes ofcourse Boycie you're right. It's few years ago i took the train from KCB to Bangkok.

If i remember rightly its a good walk (with luggage) to the passenger ferry terminal, though that is an easy/cheap way to get to/from that station.

(P.S. How's Marlene?) :)

Yes train is a pleasant and cheap way to travel there.

I am not sure if you can go direct from Don Muang train station, or would first have to go into Hua Lamphong and then another train out.

On arrival in Kanchanaburi, From memory, it would be more central to get off at the stop before the bridge stop.

On the other hand, its just a good days drive, about 750kms if i recall.

More like 150 kms for me from there :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :)

• 2 weeks later...

You already have great advice on transport so I'll just say that there is an abundance of hotels, resorts and guest houses in Kanchanaburi.

For reviews one of the best sites is "Travelfish". Just go on any search engine.

They give good reviews of accommodation, eateries, nightlife and trips around the region.

Have a great trip.

You might want to try and get accomodation along the road that leads to the 'Bridge' over River Kwai. Theres a stack of them along there & you can get a reasonable style of room with aircon from about 250 baht per nite.

Great place Kanchanburi, make sure you visit POW Musuem, from memory its also called the 'Death Musuem', however I vaguely remember seeing a sign in english which read, 'Deeth Musuem' or something.

You can also hire one of those V8 long boats for a few hundred baht, about 500 or 600 baht & that gets you up the river to the big buddha & a heap of other attractions along the way....DON'T pay the driver until you get back or you may find yourself 'up the creek without a paddle' so to speak :D .

When Kan is quite along the tourist strip, the girls virtually launch themselves out of their respectable establishments at you, be warned there are some real SHARKS up there :D , or so I heard :)

When Kan is quite along the tourist strip, the girls virtually launch themselves out of their respectable establishments at you, be warned there are some real SHARKS up there :D , or so I heard :)

Ahh, but remember fresh water sharks are still much friendlier than their salt water cousins on the coast.

This is the way I did it recently.

From Don Muang I took an airport bus into the city; Sukhumvit because I had some business there. From there I took a taxi to the NEW southern bus terminal, about B250. If you have no business in the city, there may be a bus that goes from DM to the southern bus terminal as there is from the new airport.

Buses to K'buri leave every 20 mins or so, maybe less, both aircon and local. The aircon is about B80 and the local not much less, so it's no contest. The local stops a lot more than the aircon. You'll be there in about 2 hours.

There are hotel touts hanging out at the K'buri bus station and they WILL get a commission if they take you to a hotel. Ask one to take you to the Jolly Frog backpackers, but don't go in. Just have a coffee at one of the places nearby. The touts will hang about so you have to be patient. When they're gone, you can check out the places along the street where the JF is located. There are plenty, and I recently had a raft room, aircon, for B250 a double. No brekky included though.

The Lonely Planet Thailand guide gives a range of hotels, etc., along that street.

I hired a motorcycle there, B250 a day for 24 hour hire, and headed west to Sangklaburi, about 4 hours ride. It's a great place to spend a few days, and is cheap!! You could drop in to Hellfire Pass and take a look; it's worth seeing. You can also go out to Three Pagodas Pass, right on the Burma border, from Sangklaburi.

20 Kms past Hellfire Pass on the right hand side there is a little stall that does the best Pad Thai and iced coffee I had in Thailand. Watch closely because it's only a small place.

I recommend P Guest House in Sangklaburi if you go that far. It's right on the lake, and there's a supermarket just up the street where beer is very cheap.

Good Luck with your travel.

This is the way I did it recently.

From Don Muang I took an airport bus into the city; Sukhumvit because I had some business there. From there I took a taxi to the NEW southern bus terminal, about B250. If you have no business in the city, there may be a bus that goes from DM to the southern bus terminal as there is from the new airport.

Buses to K'buri leave every 20 mins or so, maybe less, both aircon and local. The aircon is about B80 and the local not much less, so it's no contest. The local stops a lot more than the aircon. You'll be there in about 2 hours.

There are hotel touts hanging out at the K'buri bus station and they WILL get a commission if they take you to a hotel. Ask one to take you to the Jolly Frog backpackers, but don't go in. Just have a coffee at one of the places nearby. The touts will hang about so you have to be patient. When they're gone, you can check out the places along the street where the JF is located. There are plenty, and I recently had a raft room, aircon, for B250 a double. No brekky included though.

The Lonely Planet Thailand guide gives a range of hotels, etc., along that street.

K'buri is one of the places where having your own transport makes such a difference to your experience.

I hired a motorcycle there, B250 a day for 24 hour hire, and headed west to Sangklaburi, about 4 hours ride. It's a great place to spend a few days, and is cheap!! You could drop in to Hellfire Pass and take a look; it's worth seeing. You can also go out to Three Pagodas Pass, right on the Burma border, from Sangklaburi.

The Bridge on the River Kwai is also well worth seeing, a little touristy, but it has an interesting history.

20 Kms past Hellfire Pass on the right hand side there is a little stall that does the best Pad Thai and iced coffee I had in Thailand. Watch closely because it's only a small place. It's expensive though; my meal and coffee cost about B40!

I recommend P Guest House in Sangklaburi if you go that far. It's right on the lake, and there's a supermarket just up the street where beer is very cheap. The market a little further up from the supermarket and has good street food.

As you enter Sangklaburi, and not far past the huge Buddha statues on your left, turn left opposite the communications tower on the right of the main road. Down there a couple of Kms (don't believe the sign that P Guest House is only a few hundred metres) you will see the sign for P on your right.

Good Luck with your travel.

Edited by F4UCorsair