Toyota Vigo Or Fortuner

Has anybody here got a Vigo or a Fortuner,

I looked at the Vigo a while back but have not got round to a test drive, I also looked at the Toyota Fortuner, looks good, good interior............But has anybody got one of those models and what do you think of your motor?

I have a 1999 Toyota Tiger SR5 4WD, 2 door, but I am tempted by the new Vigo 4WD auto, very nice interior.

Any thoughts? :o

I looked at the Vigo a while back but have not got round to a test drive, I also looked at the Toyota Fortuner, looks good, good interior............But has anybody got one of those models and what do you think of your motor?

I have a 1999 Toyota Tiger SR5 4WD, 2 door, but I am tempted by the new Vigo 4WD auto, very nice interior.

Any thoughts?  :o

My managers got a 4wd 2 dr Vigo and its very nice, Another friend has a 4dr 4wd Vigo and again he say's its great.

Waiting list was 5 to 6 months last month when i enquired.

I've ordered a 4dr Chevrolet Colorado and it should arrive before the end of the week. :D

Doc, Toyota Vigo, 4dr, 4wd with everything (almost) -- a real beauty and a pleasure to drive -- runs great, lots of power if you need it. Waited only 2-3 weeks for mine -- bought in late December.

:D

i will be collecting my 4-door 4wd auto vigo on thursday , the test drive sold it to me.(as did the great discount negotiated by my brother in law)

it seemed streets ahead of the isuzu on performance and comfort. the engine is powerful and the interior roomy and well equipped for a truck (cd / mp3 player as standard) and for something with a chassis and leaf spring suspension the ride is almost car like .

the chevy is based on the isuzu , but looks and feels like a cheaper version with a very dated looking front.

the ford and mazda were terrible , the mitsubishi was good but is being replaced soon.

i will have waited 5 weeks since ordering , if you want a bronze or metallic turquoise ( :o ) the wait is only a few days. for silver or black the wait is at least a month. those are the only colours for the 4wd auto.

apparently the advised tyre pressures of 42 psi are way too high and give a very bouncy ride , the pressures should be a lot less , mid thirties.

they are flavour of the month with car thieves and easy to break into and hot wire , get some extra steering locks or immobilisers fitted , and secure the underslung spare wheel too , they are not locked.

black ones especially in great demand over the border in cambodia.

a couple of other owners i have spoken to have been pleased with their choice , i just hope there are no reliability issues with it. the press is full of stories these days.

Edited by taxexile

i will be collecting my 4-door 4wd auto vigo on thursday , the test drive sold it to me.(as did the great discount negotiated by my brother in law)

it seemed streets ahead of the isuzu on performance and comfort. the engine is powerful and the interior roomy and well equipped for a truck (cd / mp3 player as standard) and for something with a chassis and leaf spring suspension the ride is almost car like .

the chevy is based on the isuzu , but looks and feels like a cheaper version with a very dated looking front.

the ford and mazda were terrible , the mitsubishi was good but is being replaced soon.

i will have waited 5 weeks since ordering , if you want a bronze or metallic turquoise ( :o ) the wait is only a few days. for silver or black the wait is at least a month. those are the only colours for the 4wd auto.

apparently the advised tyre pressures of 42 psi are way too high and give a very bouncy ride , the pressures should be a lot less , mid thirties.

they are flavour of the month with car thieves and easy to break into and hot wire , get some extra steering locks or immobilisers fitted , and secure the underslung spare wheel too , they are not locked.

black ones especially in great demand over the border in cambodia.

a couple of other owners i have spoken to have been pleased with their choice , i just hope there are no reliability issues with it. the press is full of stories these days.

Read a while back and even heard from the salesman that without the correct ignition key there'd be no fuel supply -- sounded like hotwiring would be pointless.

Do you have any data on this?

Also .... extra steering locks ... the Club?

Immobilizers? ... like which? some names please and where can these be bought?

Muchas gracias

:D

Read a while back and even heard from the salesman that without the correct ignition key there'd be no fuel supply -- sounded like hotwiring would be pointless.

Do you have any data on this?

Also .... extra steering locks ... the Club?

Immobilizers? ... like which? some names please and where can these be bought?

dont know about the ignition key but will ask on thursday , those club like things that fit on the steering wheel can be removed in seconds by a professional car thief.

a company called "carryboy" make a device called a triple lock , its a device that fits under the steering column and consists of .... a triple lock..... that prevents the steering wheel being turned even after you release the ignition steering lock. carryboy make a huge range of car accessories and they have lots of branches and fitting stations.

they cost about 3000 b and can be fitted in about 20 minutes , the only thing i dont like about it is the lump of metal (you can hardly see it ) that sits just to the left and under the steering column at just the right position to destroy your kneecap should you slide forward in a collision , but they are reckoned to be a deterrent to a thief due to the amount of time it will take to unlock it without a key.

carryboy produce a range of anti theft locks and i will look at a few of them before having one fitted. the cheap steering locks ( tesco have those club things for a few hundred baht) are no real deterrent as they are so easily overcome.

as for electronic immobilisers and fuel line cut-off solenoids , well i dont know anything about them ..yet. if i get any info i'll post it .

Tax did you get the new truck today?

Must say I am tempted with the Vigo, I have only sat in one and have never driven one, I would imagine it is completely different to my Tiger 4WD in driving comfort, noise levels etc.

Some comments as to how happy you are with it, performace, comfort, economy wise would be appreciated.

Cheers. :o

yes i did , drove it away and 20 minutes later noticed that there were no insurance stickers or tax stickers on the window , then noticed that there was no servicing information / booklets in the car , so drove it right back !! , they had given me a month to pay for it so if they dont sort everything out they dont get paid !!

they had forgotten to insure it etc , dumb fukcs.

now its back at the dealers for a few days having a hard cover fitted over the load area, leather seats and a couple of other things .

will be ready monday but will probably go and pick it up on wednesday when the white plates have been fitted.

the tyre pressures when i picked it up were 48psi !!! a very hard and bouncy ride , i dropped them to the recommended (stickers on the door post) 30psi and the ride was much better.

the ignition key controls an immobiliser and without the key the ecu is not activated , so even if the car is hot wired the fuel pump will not work , and should an incorrect key be used , even if it turns the engine over it will not be able to activate the ecu. i'm not sure how much trust i would place in an electronic system like that.

i'm sure car thieves have already found a way round this just as they found ways around sim cards etc. i will have a strong mechanical anti-theft device fitted , anything that looks like it will take 10 minutes to crack.

in the 20 minutes i had with it , :o , it was fine , it is big to look at but feels smaller from the drivers seat , my wife , average size for a thai woman , likes it , especially looking over other cars from the driving seat.

its the first truck i've had and it definately handles differently to a car , i guess no more fast cornering.

now i'm just hoping for an event free collection next week with the correct paperwork and the correct colour for the seats.

however , they are unable to get a handbook in english for me , so if any other toyota owners out there know of a source for english handbooks , i would be pleased to hear from you.

yes i did , drove it away and 20 minutes later noticed that there were no insurance stickers or tax stickers on the window , then noticed that there was no servicing information / booklets in the car , so drove it right back !! , they had given me a month to pay for it so if they dont sort everything out they dont get paid !!

they had forgotten to insure it etc , dumb fukcs.

now its back at the dealers for a few days having a hard cover fitted over the load area, leather seats and a couple of other things .

will be ready monday but will probably go and pick it up on wednesday when the white plates have been fitted.

the tyre pressures when i picked it up were 48psi !!! a very hard and bouncy ride , i dropped them to the recommended (stickers on the door post) 30psi and the ride was much better.

the ignition key controls an immobiliser and without the key the ecu is not activated , so even if the car is hot wired the fuel pump will not work , and should an incorrect key be used , even if it turns the engine over it will not be able to activate the ecu. i'm not sure how much trust i would place in an electronic system like that.

i'm sure car thieves have already found a way round this just as they found ways around sim cards etc. i will have a strong mechanical anti-theft device fitted , anything that looks like it will take 10 minutes to crack.

in the 20 minutes i had with it , :o , it was fine , it is big to look at but feels smaller from the drivers seat , my wife , average size for a thai woman , likes it , especially looking over other cars from the driving seat.

its the first truck i've had and it definately handles differently to a car , i guess no more fast cornering.

now i'm just hoping for an event free collection next week with the correct paperwork and the correct colour for the seats.

however , they are unable to get a handbook in english for me , so if any other toyota owners out there know of a source for english handbooks , i would be pleased to hear from you.

Go to the main web site Toyota Click on English , then Customer Services and request by email an Enlish Handbook etc ...It also works for Honda my last effort it took one email and the book came by post in 4 days .

Edited by rcalsop

Go to the main web site Toyota Click on English , then Customer Services  and request by email an Enlish Handbook etc ...It also works for Honda  my last effort it took one  email  and the book came by post in 4 days .

many thanks , i'll give that a try .

Did you pick it up today?

not yet , any day now..... or so i'm told. :o

its been quite a complicated purchase , my sister in laws husband is a partner in a company that fleet purchases from toyota , that's why i got an unbelievable discount (58,000 baht. yes 58000) and jumped the waiting list for the auto 4wd black , my car was purchased along with many others but all the others were registered and insured to the company , somehow the paperwork for mine got forgotten.

normally these cars come with a months credit for payment , and the paperwork is supplied on final payment , thats ok for the company , but for mine , they were going to leave it until payment before issuing papers ,registration , white plates.

well i've sent them the money and , as i say , any day now.

leather cost 15000 , and they did a super job. seats back and front and door panels. matches the dashboard colour.

the sound system is good , plenty of volume and bass , 6 speakers i think.

am/fm,cd,mp3.

eventually picked up an english language handbook from the dealership near where i live , they had one in stock , it was 350 baht.

at first they told me there was no such thing , i said there was, why dont you make a phone call , then they told me they need to see the chassis number , i said why, then they said i could order one and it would take a month to arrive , then i asked if they had one i could see , so they went into the stock room and brought me one to look at. i asked why cant i have this one , because you have to order it they said. so they filled out an order form and put it on the computer and told me there was one in stock that i could have right away !!!!!!!

it was only the fact that the female staff there were so beautiful and friendly and really did try to help that stopped me from going into a rage during this kafkaesque palaver.

so now i've got the handbook , all i need is the car.!!!! :D

i'll let you know .

Hi.. can I know what's the price for the Fortuner in Thailand.. Thanks..

Top of the range without any accessories is some 1.21 million baht.

Top of the range is a 3.0L auto (model V), bottom of the range 3.0L manual (model G) starts at 999,000 baht. There is a 2.7L auto (also model V) somewhere inbetween.

Wife wants one... similar (but nicer looking) than our existing G-Wagon, and still has room in the back for the kids, maid, etc.

I must admit, I'd seriously consider buying one for import to the UK for my sister. Before someone from London complains about 4WDs, she lives in North-East scotland, house at the end of a farm track that is frequently impassable in a 2WD car at this time of year, and has 4 kids, so it would be ideal for her.

Even with shipping and VAT, it would be cheaper than anything similar in the UK. (although, fitting a heater would be a necessity obviously). I don't know if the engine would meet European emissions standards, although given the Hilux Vigo pickup is supposedly going to be sold in the UK, a suitable engine obviously exists - and mechanical parts should be available, although body panels would be hard to come by if she has an accident...

Edited by bkk_mike

Hi.. can I know what's the price for the Fortuner in Thailand.. Thanks..

Top of the range without any accessories is some 1.21 million baht.

Top of the range is a 3.0L auto (model V), bottom of the range 3.0L manual (model G) starts at 999,000 baht. There is a 2.7L auto (also model V) somewhere inbetween.

Wife wants one... similar (but nicer looking) than our existing G-Wagon, and still has room in the back for the kids, maid, etc.

I must admit, I'd seriously consider buying one for import to the UK for my sister. Before someone from London complains about 4WDs, she lives in North-East scotland, house at the end of a farm track that is frequently impassable in a 2WD car at this time of year, and has 4 kids, so it would be ideal for her, and even with shipping and VAT, it would be cheaper than anything similar in the UK. (although, fitting a heater would be a necessity obviously, and I don't know if the engine would meet European emissions standards...)

I would have thought theat the emission standards are ok.These vehicles are shipped in large numbers to Australia and NZ...probably the UK too.(That's the old model)

We bought a new 4 door Vigo (Turbo and Intercooler) with Carryboy canopy last month. I have always driven 6 or 8 cylinder cars so was a bit apprehensive about a small motor but the thing is brilliant and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Cheap to run, plenty of power, fast and comfortable.

I live in Buri Ram but bought mine through an English bloke in Bangkok. Andy was absolutely brilliant and did everything. i work in Afghanistan and am only home for 2 weeks every 8 weeks so ordered it by email.

The bloke is a genius-did everything including insurance, registration, fitting of extras and so on. Called me when it was ready and picked it up same day. Andy's address is [email protected] Get him to send his website address. It's worth looking at.

I thoroughly recommend Vigo to anyone even my outback mates in Australia who won't consider anything less than a Landcruiser.

Cheers,

Bicko :o

• 2 weeks later...

finally picked the vigo up yesterday and have spent most of today driving it around.

very pleased with it , comfortable , soft (ish) ride considering its a pick up , nice up to date interior and you sit very high up , drivers seat is height adjustable so you can raise yourself even higher ! its quiet and very powerful. the 4 speed auto shifts the gears smoothly and a second gear lever controls the 2wd/4wd high and low settings. it drives more like a car than any of the other pick ups i have driven.

at over 17 feet long reversing and parking will take some getting used to.

its not the nicest looking of the pick ups but it does have a menacing presence about it.

1200 baht to fill the tank was a bit of a shock , but it should be a while before it needs filling again.

so far ,so good.

• 6 months later...

I looked at both and got the Vigo. Your not missing out on much and they are about 200000 B cheaper. It depends on what you drive it for, the Fortuna has a shorter wheelbase with coil springs in the rear so that may help in the city and a nicer interior, leather seats etc but I have a 4 year old and I didn't get 10 kilometers down the road from the dealer when my mother in law was stuffing fried chicken into him! The engines are best in class. Take a look at the torque curve in the brochure. Impressive. It is still better than the new Mitsubishi 3.2 apparently. Black looks the best even though it shows up the dirt more. Not much colours to choose from and the blue is horrible. I waited about 6 weeks (in June) and I got a english manual with it. It came in a bag with a part number on it! I was told by the salesman not to get the tint that Toyota offers as it is cheap so he took that off the price. Paid a bit more and got the best tint you can get. The repayments are very flexible as well. It comes with a electronic card that has all the service details in it which I think is a great idea. It also has a great service interval, 10 000k for oil and 160 000k for coolant/timing belt. You won't be dissapointed!

So the Vigo is a major choice for car thieves? I guess those with 4wd are more desired for Cambodia or wherever they want to use them. A few years ago the Nissan Cifero was one of the top choices for the thugs. They would steal them, drive them to Cambodia and sell them for ridiculously low prices. It was the same years ago in the States with 4wd Jeep Cherokes. I seriously doubt anybody would want to steal our car :o

I decided to sell my 3.0L Ford Escape and get a Fortuner, diesel auto. Just got back from Samui where I had to deliver one to a client, great cars to drive, tons of power, and deceptively large on the inside.

I made my desicion to buy on Monday of this week and picked up the car on Wednesday, took it to my accessories guy and got it tarted up!!!

Now I need to flog my Escape, any takers!!!!

I decided to sell my 3.0L Ford Escape and get a Fortuner, diesel auto. Just got back from Samui where I had to deliver one to a client, great cars to drive, tons of power, and deceptively large on the inside.

I made my desicion to buy on Monday of this week and picked up the car on Wednesday, took it to my accessories guy and got it tarted up!!!

What's your secret on getting vehicles so quick?

I had a 5 week wait for a 4dr 4wd black Vigo! :o

What's your secret on getting vehicles so quick?

I had a 5 week wait for a 4dr 4wd black Vigo! :o

My guess, inside connections.

We buy around 10 Vigos a month for export, and get around 4-5 Fortuners a month for a local clients.

Just good relationships with a load of Toyota dealers, and paying cash on the spot with no quibbling.

Any of your contacts got a black or silver avenza My wife has fallen in love with the model for the shopping and the school run s , but thy appear to be like the proverbial Rocking Horse sh*t or Hens teeth .

Also any body out there bought a Toyota Avanza ..

No

Getting early delivery is easy. Don't make the same mistake that I initially made though. I ordered my 2door, silver 4x4 Vigo on the "promise" of delivery within 2 weeks. When it didn't arrive by the 14th day, I downloaded a list of Toyota Dealers from the Internet. By the 4th phone call I had sourced 3 vehicles, and within 3 hours had ordered exactly what I wanted and took delivery the following day.

However, the greatest pleasure was driving my new 4x4 to the original dealer that had promised 2 week delivery to get my deposit back!

So, to get immediate delivery, simply buy from a dealer that has what you want in stock.

Despite all the hype and stories of waiting lists, there are plenty of Vigos around for sale.