Toyota Vigo Or Fortuner

I have had my Fortuner for 3 months now,it is an excellent vehicle and so comfortable to drive.Great interior and comes with reverse sensors as standard [great for the wife to go shopping] and air con in the back seats [great for the mother in law] and because you are higher up your visibility is wonderful [you can actually see the taxi slamming his brakes on 10 cars in front].I had a Jaguar X type before in my own country and the fortuner has everything inside that the Jaguar did without having to pay for it,i.e. the reverse sensors cost me 100000 Baht extra.

Have driven 6k in it now and have averaged 10 kilometers to the litre.I have the 3 litre diesel version and would recomend that as opposed to the petrol version as it has that much more power.

Iwas quoted 6 months waiting in Chiang Mai but went to Toyota Chiang Rai and was in possession of my new vehicle within 4 weeks.

Hope This has helped.

Getting early delivery is easy. Don't make the same mistake that I initially made though. I ordered my 2door, silver 4x4 Vigo on the "promise" of delivery within 2 weeks. When it didn't arrive by the 14th day, I downloaded a list of Toyota Dealers from the Internet. By the 4th phone call I had sourced 3 vehicles, and within 3 hours had ordered exactly what I wanted and took delivery the following day.

However, the greatest pleasure was driving my new 4x4 to the original dealer that had promised 2 week delivery to get my deposit back!

So, to get immediate delivery, simply buy from a dealer that has what you want in stock.

Despite all the hype and stories of waiting lists, there are plenty of Vigos around for sale.

Hi Riley & Vigo folks, i had ordered a black 4X4 Vigo at Toyota Chiang Mai in July. I was quoted 5 months waiting, no freebies or insurance, only a 5k discount and i'm still waiting. Perhaps I could order from another dealer, like Chiang Rai? Will the 5k deposit be refunded back or will it be forfeited? Thanks!

It is worth checking the Toyota website (toyota.co.th) and click on English version ... unless of course you read Thai ... or just go direct to www.toyota.co.th/red/en/

Link to dealers is at www.toyota.co.th/red/en/sale_network.asp

However it seems to only function for some areas, Eastern where I am won't bring up dealer list.

I'm looking for a Vigo 4WD 2 Door (maybe 4) Auto in Black, out this way there appear to be no dealers who can supply for months. Think I have now located dealer who can supply one in a week, but would prefer to get one ex stock, at least then I know it exists! So if anyone knows a dealer (anywhere) who has one please let me know via pm. One of the dealers in Pattaya has stock of Silver 2 Door and was going to throw in about 20,000B of accessories and 10,000B discount. But has to be Black :-)

Any thoughts on diesel/petrol? I'm planning on getting the 2.7L petrol version, the diesel in 4WD is only available as 3.0L, 4 Door and comes in at 861,00B as opposed to 693,000B for 2 Door petrol. How does performance compare? I realise fuel will be about 2kms per litre less. Anyone got experience of petrol version? I drove it a little at dealer and was hugely impressed by how smooth it was.

I'd prefer to get from dealer who will throw in accessories and maybe will go for 24 month payment - cheaper than pulling out cash from deposit account earning near 5% overseas.

Anyone had further thoughts on security, I'm not keen on lumps of metal to attach everytime I park up ... sods law says that the one time I don't fix it, when rushing in somewhere will be the time a tealeaf pops by. A while back I had a great fuel cut-off switch fitted to my then new Peugeot 205GTI, it was hidden under dash and it worked! When away on holiday a group of professional thieves, who were targeting 205s, tried to nick it unsuccessfuly. It took me a while to realise what had happened, I came back and battery was flat, also some loose change that I thought I had in glove pocket was gone and there were scratch marks by the filler cap. Apparently they would prise off the fuel cap, make a key copy and then come back to collect car!

Patrick

My new baby. Took 3 days to arrange delivery.

FortunerAndy1.jpg

Bangkok's always the best place to get these Vigos/Fortuners etc. In the sticks they'll have you wanitng forever.

However if you place a deposit on a car and they can't deliver within a certain then you will definately get it back.

My new baby. Took 3 days to arrange delivery.

FortunerAndy1.jpg

Bangkok's always the best place to get these Vigos/Fortuners etc. In the sticks they'll have you wanitng forever.

However if you place a deposit on a car and they can't deliver within a certain then you will definately get it back.

That's a cool macho baby, and 3 days is a record time!

Are the front bar & roof-rack standard items or freebies from agent?

Edited by nokia

Terdsak 12

Oh man, those bumpers are too wicked. There's no wild kangaroos roaming around in Thailand you know!

Seriously how much was the roof rack? Have you driven in to a carpark with a low-ceiling yet (with or without the roof rack on), its a wierd feeling, you feel like your head is going to scrape the ceiling. It will pay you to check what is your max height with the roof rack on as i reckon you'll be struggling to get in to buildings with 2.0M ceilings. First time i came across a low ceiling, in that Ripleys building in Pattaya, i got the old man to get out and check if i was going to make it or not - just.

Just went to Chiangmai Toyota to check the Fortuner out after reading all the positives here on TV. They said delivery would be end of year at the earliest. Also, the price for the top end is over 1.2 Million. It is a beautiful vehicle and still trying to make up my mind (mazda3, Civic Coupe - if it comes to Thailand) are still on my possiblities list.

Terdsak 12

Oh man, those bumpers are too wicked. There's no wild kangaroos roaming around in Thailand you know!

Seriously how much was the roof rack? Have you driven in to a carpark with a low-ceiling yet (with or without the roof rack on), its a wierd feeling, you feel like your head is going to scrape the ceiling. It will pay you to check what is your max height with the roof rack on as i reckon you'll be struggling to get in to buildings with 2.0M ceilings. First time i came across a low ceiling, in that Ripleys building in Pattaya, i got the old man to get out and check if i was going to make it or not - just.

Just went to Chiangmai Toyota to check the Fortuner out after reading all the positives here on TV.  They said delivery would be end of year at the earliest.  Also, the price for the top end is over 1.2 Million.  It is a beautiful vehicle and still trying to make up my mind (mazda3, Civic Coupe - if it comes to Thailand) are still on my possiblities list.

My truck is around 190cm high, I'm 195 so a tad shorter than myself. Most car parks are around 210-220 and they usually have signs so I should be alright. The rack cost around 4K, but I have a special relationship with the accessories dealer (I've spent over 1 millin Baht in his shop in the past few months), usual price around 6-8K I think.

I'm picking up new Fortuners in around a week here in Bangkok, if anyone wants to avoid the long wait drop me a PM. 1,249,000 Baht for the top model diesel + registration and insurance costs. If you want to wait a few months you can get a few freebies thrown in, my clients just want to get their hands on the truck.

My managers got a 4wd 2 dr Vigo and its very nice, Another friend has a 4dr 4wd Vigo and again he say's its great.

Waiting list was 5 to 6 months last month when i enquired.

I've ordered a 4dr Chevrolet Colorado and it should arrive before the end of the week. :o

I know this is OT but the waiting list is bull, I can get a diesel fortuner in around a week. As per everything here it is who you know!!!!

Give Expat Motors a call!!! Not sure about finance options but the service is fantastic, it is much easier buying from someone who speaks the same language, and IMO they aren't car dealers as we know and hate! the main line is export!!

Just went to Chiangmai Toyota to check the Fortuner out after reading all the positives here on TV.  They said delivery would be end of year at the earliest.  Also, the price for the top end is over 1.2 Million.  It is a beautiful vehicle and still trying to make up my mind (mazda3, Civic Coupe - if it comes to Thailand) are still on my possiblities list.

I don't quite understand how you can be considering a Fortuner against a saloon car, surely they're so different.

In June i sold the previous version of the Mazda 3 and got a Fortuner. That Mazda was a lovely car to drive and never had any probs in 5 years; i'm not sure what improvements the new M3 offers beyond shape but if i needed a saloon car i would definatley have got one without any hesitation so happy were we with the Maz we had. We got a Fortuner cause the extended family has grown to big for a saloon car.

So if i had a choice again and there were no factors except which one i fancied, and bearing in mind i had a Maz 3 and have a Fortuner and a Ranger, i would def go for the Fortuner - briliant car!

Terdsak 12

My truck is around 190cm high, I'm 195 so a tad shorter than myself. Most car parks are around 210-220 and they usually have signs so I should be alright. The rack cost around 4K, but I have a special relationship with the accessories dealer (I've spent over 1 millin Baht in his shop in the past few months), usual price around 6-8K I think.

I'm picking up new Fortuners in around a week here in Bangkok, if anyone wants to avoid the long wait drop me a PM. 1,249,000 Baht for the top model diesel + registration and insurance costs. If you want to wait a few months you can get a few freebies thrown in, my clients just want to get their hands on the truck.

Wow, 195, you're a chuffing (Thai) giant - shouldn't you be using the name Yak?

You are right that most car parks are around 210-220 but some are 200, but you'll squeeze in with 2" to spare though.

See you're selling your Ford. I sold my Maz3 in June, the route i used was to email details to Andy at ExpatMotors to put on his website and i also placed an ad through him in the BKK Post for a month at a real bargain price. The latter worked for me.

I don't quite understand how you can be considering a Fortuner against a saloon car, surely they're so different.

You're absolutely right. I had been looking at sedans for a year now and never considered a SUV until reading these threads and finally going to look at the Fortuner. My opinon has shifted somewhat now. I'm just weighing my needs now, sitting in the fortuner I really liked the feel but concerned a little about the size. They have two test drive Fortuners (diesel & benzene) and will take them up on their offer to drive it.

• 8 months later...

I am getting this model as my company car, even thou I am not much fond of pickups I think this one will be a nice one.

http://www.toyota.co.th/red/th/model/vigo4...igo4x4_home.htm

I want to chip tune the engine, possible to get upwards to 192 Hp.

Any1 know where this can be done, I live in Pattaya, but BKK will be no problem going to.

Prize on doing it and do you know if the torque increase will be be too much for Auto-transmission can handle it?

It will be the 3.0 liter engine

• 3 weeks later...

As diesel engines are not the the preferred choice in sedans (usually too slow), and I do not like turbo's...what is the difference in performance (milage per liter not an issue) betwen the Toyota 2.7 liter (petrol) and the 3.0 liter (diesel)...?