Work Permit/visa Issues

Murf

I must state before i start that me and my friend do not have a degree, but have been teaching in Thailand for years.

Today my friend has just been told, no teachers license, no visa.

He said he was able to get a work pemit (but didn't), as it wouldn't have helped get the visa. Immigration were having none of it and sent him away, even though the director of the school went with him - and they had a letter stating the school couldn't afford a degree teacher. But it seems that they need a teachers license. (the elusive teachers license)

I ask because I would like to get a work permit this year also, but i'm not sure what hoops they now want people to jump through.

Does anyone who doesn't have a degree have any recent experiece of obtaining a work permit?

Thanks.

Which immigration office are we talking about here?

Some immigration offices seem to demand that you have a teachers license or a temporary license or waiver. Have the school contact the teacher council to see what can be done.

If nothing can be done he might be able to get a multiple non-B and just leave the country every 90 days and come back. So he should still apply for the WP!. Not ideal, but it would mean he could stay and teach.

My friend is now living up north in Sukothai, but i am in Bangkok.

I know it usually varies wildly between officers, never mind offices. But I was curious as to weather there had been any problems closer to home.

My friend's school has sent a Thai teacher on the bus this evening, who is going to the teachers council tomorrow. Only in Thailand... 700kms to sort out a paperwork issue.

Very similar story to myself. I have recently had my WP extended without being asked for a TL or waiver letter yet the immigration up at Mae Sai aren't extending visas to teachers if they don't have a TL or waiver! Our director recently flew down to BKK to get myself and the Filipino and Japanese teachers the waiver letter and today the Japanese teacher went back (he tried last week but was refused) and got his extension without any problems. Ridiculous requirement, fact not opinion!

lol This is why I am going to maintain my ED VISA when I start teaching! Good luck to both of you though - curious to see how this ends.

I just read your other post and it seems a bit strange that you have that smug attitude as you are in a similar situation to us, actually worse off as you haven't even started work yet, don't have any teaching experience and don't even have a visa that enables you to get a WP as I'm pretty sure you can't get a WP while on an ED visa. Good luck to you too my friend, think you'll need it more than us!!!

Edited by skybluestu

My friend is now living up north in Sukothai, but i am in Bangkok.

I know it usually varies wildly between officers, never mind offices. But I was curious as to weather there had been any problems closer to home.

My friend's school has sent a Thai teacher on the bus this evening, who is going to the teachers council tomorrow. Only in Thailand... 700kms to sort out a paperwork issue.

Sukhohai falls under Tak Immigration, which currently seems to demand the teachers license. BKK however does not demand a teachers license, I haven't seen any report about that so far.

lol This is why I am going to maintain my ED VISA when I start teaching! Good luck to both of you though - curious to see how this ends.

You need a non-immigrant B or a non-immigrant O (based on marriage) to get a work permit. It is not possible to get a work permit on a ED VISA. You cannot work on an ED VISA.

Why are you saying you can't work on an ED VISA? I know for a fact you could work up to at least 20 hours a week on an ED VISA the last time I read the rules. I'm assuming that means you can get a work permit with an ED VISA, since you can't work without one, correct? Maybe someone can clear this up other than just saying you can't work on an ed visa.

You need a non-immigrant B or a non-immigrant O (based on marriage) to get a work permit. It is not possible to get a work permit on a ED VISA. You cannot work on an ED VISA.

Sorry, you're wrong. I have a Non-ED, got my work permit on it and have renewed my WP for the last 16 years on it. But then I work at an educational facility (University) if that makes a difference.

//edit - it may be possible that the current rules do not allow a new work permit to be issued on a Non-ED and I'm grandfathered into the system.

"But then I work at an educational facility (University) if that makes a difference."

I think this is the difference. But on looking at the UK Thai Consulate website it said no working on an Ed Visa. I do remember about 2 years ago i was looking in to it and it was implied that as long as you were a teacher it was ok.

Sukhohai falls under Tak Immigration, which currently seems to demand the teachers license. BKK however does not demand a teachers license, I haven't seen any report about that so far.

Ah haa... thanks for your reply. Lets see how i get on then. :)

It is not possible to get a work permit on a ED VISA. You cannot work on an ED VISA.

Not correct. Go and get some more rest Loaded. I know it's been a long day.

It seems that not everyone is as sure as you.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Obtain-Work-...ra-t269236.html

It may be true, but an ED is for study and an O (retirement) is for retirement. By definition I wouldn't think it's possible and I've never heard of it. I would love to know it's true. Can you post a link to evidence?

I would love to know it's true. Can you post a link to evidence?

If you would like to come over to the university I can show you my passport and work permit. :D

By your own admission you were granfathered in 14 years ago, anyway according to the website of the Thai consulate in Hull:

Category “ED” (education – unpaid work) – this category entitles a person to:

a) to study in Thailand

:) to attend/participate in a conference/seminar/exhibition in Thailand

c) to attend as an official at a recognised event in Thailand

d) to attend a training course (teaching, diving, boxing, etc) in Thailand

e) to study as a Buddhist monk in Thailand

Are you paid for your work Tywais? If yes, is your income declared to Immigration and Labour when you extend your visa and work permit each year. IE Do you have a Tax card?

Edited by Loaded

//edit - it may be possible that the current rules do not allow a new work permit to be issued on a Non-ED and I'm grandfathered into the system.
By your own admission you were granfathered in 14 years ago, anyway according to the website of the Thai consulate in Hull:

You misread my response. I did not admit to it because I don't know if that is the reason, only suggested it as a possible explanation to why. I have no ulterior motive to my post, just giving my personal experience in this. I don't do hearsay either. :)

Are you paid for your work Tywais? If yes, is your income declared to Immigration and Labour when you extend your visa and work permit each year. IE Do you have a Tax card?

I get paid quite well actually. The letter of certification from the university and the letter of certification from the department and the WP application form that I supply immigration and labor with both have it as required by law. I have a tax card, the university withdraws taxes and I submit a PND 91 every year. The last 3 years, neither immigration nor labor were interested in my tax statements or receipts - they don't even look at them and just promptly hand them back.

I understand your dilemma because the embassy sites say otherwise and perhaps 16 years ago the rules were either not the same or exceptions were made. As such, we probably should refocus on whether anyone has received a NEW WP on a NON-ED - my guess from past topics and this one is no.

I know Tywais is a highly respected university ajarn and my intention was not to question who or what he is. I think if it's possible to obtain a work permit based on an Education visa, it would be great.

I would like to know more about the process of obtaining a wp based on an ED. There is a lot of contradictory evidence (This is Thailand I suppose) and very little information that can be referenced. I will ask one of our Thai staff to contact Immigration and Labour to research.

• 2 weeks later...

One of our Thai staff spoke to Mrs. Suranut and Mrs. Saisunee, both immigration officers, at Chiang Mai Immigration today. Both said it isn't possible. You would need to change the visa. Of course, this may not be true for other provinces.