Hi all

Real newbie gardener advice needed, when I was a kid my dad had an allotment was interesting for me helping him grow vegetables and salad, I have an area that I was thinking of putting some grow bags in and growing some tomato’s and some herbs just for the fun of being able to pick a tomato when needed, and getting my kids involved.

So the question to all of you green fingers out there what would you recommend? What grows well? Where could I get some good herb seeds, I would like to grow some things if possible that are not just Thai herbs, any recommendations’ on grow bags?

I'm very open to any suggestions. And am based in the suburbs of Pattaya.

Thanks in advance.

Hi myfriendyou,

you dont state what you have ie garden, balcony,roof space ect, how big ect, the following link is a topic from the farming forum aout Balcony growing,

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Raising-Balc...&hl=balcony

If this is no help, please describe your plot and im sure others will step in to help you,

Cheers, Lickey..

Thanks Lickey

Garden is about 1 Rai Grassed and sheltered with trees, there is an area I was thinking about that is about 4 x 6 metres that would be easy to shade as it is between an out building and a wall, would be easy to block off from the dogs as well. Could also block other small areas of tree shaded ground off around the garden.

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob, thats a nice sized patch for a kitchen garden and you have some very good ingredients on your ground,

I would make 2 beds in that area, with about a mtr between the 6 mtr long beds, when the ground is wet/damp, pullout all the weeds and heap these up, mark out the size of the beds, and dig over, taking ground from the middle to raise them if need be, rake up the fallen debris from under the trees and cover the beds, if its already rotted.Rake in and leave for a few days, then lightly dig again avoiding walking on the ground if possible,

Meanwhile if you have to cut your grass, collect and empty bin on the heap of weeds, also collect your kitchen waste [no meat] and bury in the middle of the pile, give it a few days the turn it over allowing oxygen into the heap, 2/3 weeks and it should be ready to put on your beds, [it must be very hot at some stage to kill off the weed seeds,important!!] spread this across the beds and then if you have some dead leaves or something you could use as mulch, cover the beds with it, even cardboard is ok. leave it a week or so, and then go to the local garden/plant centre, choose what plants you want, a mixture is good, cherry tomatos,chillis,a few flowering plants, it confuses the bugs/pests, different smells ect, also, you could put a it of trellis wood up one of the walls, grow some tua pue [winged beans] very easy to grow, eat young ones raw or blanched, nice!

Rob, ive been doing salad beds for about 3 years now in Thai, this is my 1st year of doing it organically, Ive learnt a lot from posts on this forum and i hope the info ive given you is correct,

Jandtaa and other members, please correct any misinformation in the above if what ive told Rob is not quite right, Thanks, Lickey.

• Like 1