Tomato Cultivation In Thailand

i've had some success with solar fire in the past. each plant produced about 20 nice size 2" ish toms. the fruit tasted great although didn't look that great because i didn't use any bug spray or anything

i planted the plants in 12" 'tung dam', black plastic grow bags available on route 9 in Bang Khea for about 1 baht per bag. i used the potting soil that seems to be made from composted leaf stuff (5 for 100b in same place). NOTE the potting soil from composted coconut waste doesn't work at all, kills 'em dead.

anyhow, i've just bought a whole bunch more seeds and keen to try more and see if netting and other ideas works. i'm also going to try bagging the baby fruits in plastic bags like farmers seem to do on fruit trees.

but i have a question about soil.

in the past i only used potting soil, but i'd like to try garden soil now with cow manure. is it a good idea to mix in fairly green cow manure? i read that i should compost it for 60 days first but i'm keen to try something now (i don't have enough patience to be a gardener!) so should i mix in the cow manual or will i be better off without it? i've read that uncomposted manure can burn the roots (http://growagreattomato.com/articles/tomato-plant-fertilizer/)

i'll start a compost pile now but until its ready, i wonder if a bit of fresh cow sheet is better or worse than nothing

thx steve

Edited by stevehaigh

i've had some success with solar fire in the past. each plant produced about 20 nice size 2" ish toms. the fruit tasted great although didn't look that great because i didn't use any bug spray or anything

i planted the plants in 12" 'tung dam', black plastic grow bags available on route 9 in Bang Khea for about 1 baht per bag. i used the potting soil that seems to be made from composted leaf stuff (5 for 100b in same place). NOTE the potting soil from composted coconut waste doesn't work at all, kills 'em dead.

anyhow, i've just bought a whole bunch more seeds and keen to try more and see if netting and other ideas works. i'm also going to try bagging the baby fruits in plastic bags like farmers seem to do on fruit trees.

but i have a question about soil.

in the past i only used potting soil, but i'd like to try garden soil now with cow manure. is it a good idea to mix in fairly green cow manure? i read that i should compost it for 60 days first but i'm keen to try something now (i don't have enough patience to be a gardener!) so should i mix in the cow manual or will i be better off without it? i've read that uncomposted manure can burn the roots (http://growagreattomato.com/articles/tomato-plant-fertilizer/)

i'll start a compost pile now but until its ready, i wonder if a bit of fresh cow sheet is better or worse than nothing

thx steve

Garden soil with very well composted cow manure will work fine. Green cow manure, definitely a bad idea, do not try.

If you bag the tomatoes, try to use paper.

Plastic will make the tomatoes watery , fungus & mildew will follow.

regards

Garden soil with very well composted cow manure will work fine. Green cow manure, definitely a bad idea, do not try.

regards

thanks. what kind of paper bag? plain paper will disintegrate as soon as it gets wet and waxed bags are probably about the same as plastic bags?

what about a bit of shade cloth then or muslin like material? should keep bugs away but allow them to breath?

regards

thanks. what kind of paper bag? plain paper will disintegrate as soon as it gets wet and waxed bags are probably about the same as plastic bags?

what about a bit of shade cloth then or muslin like material? should keep bugs away but allow them to breath?

Believe it or not, I used paper towels to wrap my figs, if not; the birds will have a party.

To my amazement not only they did not disintegrate but as soon as the sun came up they were as good as new.

The worst bug offender is the fruit fly, if you do not want to spray at all; to cover individual tomatoes seems like too much work.

I would get a tall stick to allow for plant growth than cover the whole plant in some fine netting.

That will get rid of the bugs but expose you to potential humidity problems in the rainy season.

Experiment and see what works for you

Regards

Soidog,

Sorry if you've posted an answer to this question before, but where did your fig trees come from? Were they bought or grown from seed?

I imported my trees, mostly from the US, however these days if you try hard enough you will find some for sale in Thailand.

I have a contact in Bkk that sels several kinds, Thai speaking only, his name is "Yot" 081-923-5390

Have somebody call and make arrangments, they go for about 300B

regards