Immigration Crackdown On Border Runners

BREAKING NEWS:

Immigration crackdown on border runners

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com) -- Thai Immigration Bureau has issued a new regulation to be enforced from today, June 1, 2009.

In a crackdown on foreigners who regularly abuse the tourist exemption rule of getting 15 days stay at border entry points, the Immigration Bureau has confirmed and informed thaivisa.com of the following new regulation:

A foreigner who has entered the kingdom four (4) consecutive times on 15 days tourist exemption stamps, will not be allowed to leave the country and reenter Thailand. The only option is to exit Thailand and re-enter via an international airport, which will allow a further 30 day stay.

Thaivisa.com has today confirmed the new regulations with the Immigration checkpoints in Pong Nam Ron and Aranyaprathet at the Cambodian border. We have also got confirmation from bus visa run companies that the new regulations are enforced from today June 1, 2009. Immigration checkpoints bordering Laos, Myanmar and Malaysia are expected to enforce the regulation shortly.

The new rules does not affect holders of visas issued abroad. Foreigners are advised to apply for a Tourist visas or Non-Immigrant visas at a Royal Thai Embassy or consulate outside Thailand instead of abusing the 15 day exemption rule.

As usual, holders of Tourist visas will be given 60 days stay while Non-Immigrant visa holders will be allowed 90 days stay.

-- thaivisa.com 2009-06-01

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it is not good what the immigration and the country is doing to the foreigners.

first they make all the tourist visas free and now they are making border runs short to stay.

as to before they were 3 months and now they only give two months.

what will happen next???

Edited by george

Well, reasonable request. For long term stay. Get a visa.

I also understand how much of a additional work load it is in these crossings to stamp bus after bus people out and in again every two weeks.

Does immigration actually read thaivisa and notify rule changes or you have dig this out from them George ?

This action is actually understandable. The reduction from one month to two weeks stay for border runs was a clear signal that Thai authorities didn't want this routine to go on. If people are still running back and forth, something like this was to be expected. It can't be that difficult to find a Thai embassy or consulate abroad, can it?

As usual they are completely ignoring the real problem.

For many people there are no real alternative or very poor alternatives to visa runs. I am one of the lucky ones that got my investment visa in place before they were terminated, but if you are below 50 and wish to stay in Thailand your options are limited.

'Give us your money and get the hel_l out!!', seems to be all they really want.

Did they ever look to Malaysia the Thai authorities?

3 month upon arrival, also on a landborder, no Visa requiered.

I do not know from restrictions.

Cambodia-nearly no restrictions at all, just pay every month (businessvisa), or year for a visa,

without even leaving the country.

and, AS I WROTE IN ANOTHER tHREAD HERE,

If you go to make Visa at a consularsection, they let you sometime, when they are busy, now with an Asean MEETING,

wait for 6 ! days until you can pick up your visa!

That just happened to me at the Phnom Penh embassy.

TIT, thank you Thailand!

For many people there are no real alternative or very poor alternatives to visa runs. I am one of the lucky ones that got my investment visa in place before they were terminated, but if you are below 50 and wish to stay in Thailand your options are limited.

I thought tourist visas were free for some time and not so expensive even if you have to pay for it.

And yes there is countries where it is easier to get a visa. But somehow i fail to see why it is thailands fault if they want to keep it more tight? I mean globally visa to Thailand is extremely easy to get.

Cambodia-nearly no restrictions at all, just pay every month (businessvisa), or year for a visa,

If you go to make Visa at a consularsection, they let you sometime, when they are busy, now with an Asean MEETING,

TIT, thank you Thailand!

Probably we are more numerous in Thailand (in term of %) than in Malaysia and Cambodia. This is making the Thai authorities to think in a different manner.

Anyway, if was younger than 50, I would probably fly once a month on cheap tickets.

I thought tourist visas were free for some time and not so expensive even if you have to pay for it.

And yes there is countries where it is easier to get a visa. But somehow i fail to see why it is thailands fault if they want to keep it more tight? I mean globally visa to Thailand is extremely easy to get.

I agree, it's just not that difficult to get "Tourist visas". Unless someone lived very near the border, I don't understand why one would want to have to cross every 15 days or even every 30 days as before, for that matter.

TIT, thank you Thailand!

Probably we are more numerous in Thailand (in term of %) than in Malaysia and Cambodia. This is making the Thai authorities to think in a different manner.

Anyway, if was younger than 50, I would probably fly once a month on cheap tickets.

Why wouldn't they get a "Tourist Visa" and with an extension, only have to leave after 90 days?

Well, reasonable request. For long term stay. Get a visa.

I also understand how much of a additional work load it is in these crossings to stamp bus after bus people out and in again every two weeks.

I used the system of 2 week border runs for some time, because I was not sure how long I actualy more i wanted to stay. That system is not cheap at all anyway and for long timers its more convinient to go to a consularsection.

But, I could not see a lot of people using that possibility of two week border runs in Nong Khai, there you have only a lot of Lao and Thai people and few Falangs.

What -MJo- wrote can only occur on the borders near BKK and Pattaya.

get a real job and a real 1 year visa! that's the other option:)

And if real job is out of a question you can always pretend to be studying thai and get a ED visa. Non-immigrant, all kind of perks like local driving licence and you can call yourself as an expat or resident in the pub in front of your "mates". :)

On reading the topic headline my fist thought was that this was a very OLD topic that had somehow got re-emailed.

first they get rid of 30 days unlimited then 30 day border crossings but re-allow unlimited crossings and now re-introduce a limit.

THis is NOT good policy not good organisation, not though out planning, its just plain tinkering and it is totally worthless. the ill-considered decisions seem to be based more on prejudice than anything else - who exactly are they trying to get at - are border-runners - whoever they are, such a problem??

from a practical point of view this may well screw up some plans of genuine tourists who want to pop in and out of Thailand over a period visiting the neighbouring countries.

If you think about it, it might even "force" some people NOT to leave for Ankhor Wat etc. as they don't want the hasssle of being denied re-entry - once you've got here, they don't want you spending your cash in neighbouring country.

at the end of theday it sends the wrong signals internationally, whether to tourists, those wanting to stay long term and those wanting to invest.

Ten there's the 150 baht ATM fees, changes in bar closing, strange anti free-speech laws...the list just gets bigger and bigger, and to what avail????

how long will it be before they start tinkering withother long-term stayers.... visas - oh wait - they have haven't they!

I posted this earlier last week.

Hi All,

I just returned from working in China and whilst I was there I read an article in the China daily that stated that under a new agreement all Chinese mainlanders are now able to stay in Thailand for 4 months without a visa. Shame our Governments can't arrange deals like this. I dont have a link, but has anyone else heard about this.

My guess is that you will not see many Chinese border runners going forward.

Cheers, Rick

On reading the topic headline my fist thought was that this was a very OLD topic that had somehow got re-emailed.

first they get rid of 30 days unlimited then 30 day border crossings but re-allow unlimited crossings and now re-introduce a limit.

THis is NOT good policy not good organisation, not though out planning, its just plain tinkering and it is totally worthless. the ill-considered decisions seem to be based more on prejudice than anything else - who exactly are they trying to get at - are border-runners - whoever they are, such a problem??

from a practical point of view this may well screw up some plans of genuine tourists who want to pop in and out of Thailand over a period visiting the neighbouring countries.

If you think about it, it might even "force" some people NOT to leave for Ankhor Wat etc. as they don't want the hasssle of being denied re-entry - once you've got here, they don't want you spending your cash in neighbouring country.

at the end of theday it sends the wrong signals internationally, whether to tourists, those wanting to stay long term and those wanting to invest.

Ten there's the 150 baht ATM fees, changes in bar closing, strange anti free-speech laws...the list just gets bigger and bigger, and to what avail????

how long will it be before they start tinkering withother long-term stayers.... visas - oh wait - they have haven't they!

they did that already! Look into the marriage and other 1y extensions. Its getting more hostile than ever before. Hope I was allowed to remark that after being 23y in this country - legally!

Edited by webfact

get a real job and a real 1 year visa! that's the other option:)

And if real job is out of a question you can always pretend to be studying thai and get a ED visa. Non-immigrant, all kind of perks like local driving licence and you can call yourself as an expat or resident in the pub in front of your "mates". :)

there's always plenty of Thai chicks to marry lol.

my guess is thats the only farangs the Thai govt want here - and the reason to boot the others. married farangs dont do border runs.

anyone else here under 50 is probably causing problems or running from the law. over 50 they just wanna die somewhere warm and cant afford Florida.

From thailand you can enter Malaysia, Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia via land border crossings. So they have think this out, you can still fly to Thailand, visit all neighbouring countries including Angkor Wat and fly out from Thailand.

How many tourists "invest" here. Let's call it what it is. They want people to stop abusing their system and get proper tourist visas if they wish to stay longer. Nothing wrong with that and highly unlikely there is a UN resolution condemning their actions on this.

because the free visas in the embassies are ending. they are going to have another big meeting to extend it or even not.

but i think for sure they will be taking money again for the tourist visas,

because many tourist make this to have a longer stay. it dose not mater if they would have to pay or not. but to get it they will pay anyway.

it was just an attraction to get people a longer visit to thailand for free with out the visa runs

but many longstays that do not have a lot in the pocket was a good time to save money for a about six months not to pay all the visa runs they should have been making.

but still many will say the same thing which i hear all the time.

"why do these thai make so many regulation, cambodia, and the phillipines have no strickt regulation on this."

but still i see them every time making the visa run and still live in thailand, and look for other ways to make their stay longer.

The Thai economy can easily afford to turn down visitors. I assume the hotel owners love the current arrangement in which their interest is paid from the government coffers.

It shows again that this government is incompetent, or let me rephrase the Thai elite is incompetent. Good luck with all the people that get stuck in noman's land in Burma.

What ever happened with the free visa plan? Anyway with an foreign minister who considered the airport occupation fun I assume this is simply just another step towards an even bigger party.

The Thai economy can easily afford to turn down visitors. I assume the hotel owners love the current arrangement in which their interest is paid from the government coffers.

It shows again that this government is incompetent, or let me rephrase the Thai elite is incompetent. Good luck with all the people that get stuck in noman's land in Burma.

What ever happened with the free visa plan? Anyway with an foreign minister who considered the airport occupation fun I assume this is simply just another step towards an even bigger party.

You are right there my friend. I mean if a tourist can not afford to get a visa before his trip in his home coutry or does not have funds to extend his stay here with tourist of non-imm visas. Is he still the white knight in shining armour to thais and they consider these guys will sort all their problems and finance the government and all thai citizens life and still have something to spare ? My guess is no he's not. Even if he claims so here on TV.

Edited by MJo

Visas for Thailand are easy if you are british and you want to come for holiday no problem if you want to stay longer then get the correct Visa If you cant afford the correct Visa then get back to where you came from. Try getting a Visa for UK or USA if you are a Thai and then maybe you will see how easy it is for Brits to get visas for Thailand