110kg To 98.0 And Falling.........

skippybangkok

Hey,

Just wanna share some experience. Since got married, have climbed steadily from about 95 to 110kg........ too much as you can imagine, just did not feel comfortable with my self ( for my height and frame - 92 to 95 is about right ) . What worked for me........

1. Breaking Habits - ( not the things Nun's wear ! ) ...... first issue was over coming habits. Dipping in the fridge, even late at night, chocolate milk ( Hershy's yummy ) etc. Thing which worked for me was asking my self am i really hungry or just habitually want to eat something. If you sit and ask your self " am i really hungry?", i would answer myself - in most cases "no" was the answer. If i have a fridge urge, a very very cold diet coke with ice seems to do the trick.

2. Max Cal per day - Read a bit, and the trend these days is eat what ever you want, any time - but not more than a certain amount of Calories in a 24 hour period. Generally i have a small bowl of Muesli ( not fancy stuff- just oats mixed with nuts and fruit ) in the morning. Its very very heavy on the stomach, and keeps hunger away for a long time. Maybe 11 am a small coffee ( milk and sugar - what ever tickles ur fancy ) and at 2pm some fruit and another coffee ( p.s. i normally drink coffee ( latte, low fat) at about 1/4 strength of what most people like - so can drink tons of it ). Evening might have something light - noodles, salad and some chicken or something not too heavy. Diet coke also helps fill them voids where i feel i just need to put something down my throat. Although not recommended, i take in about 1200 cals per day, but dont exercise much (at all ) or get too much movement.

3. Reward Day - Pick one day a week i litterally stuff my face with what ever i want. My theory is "if you can never have your favourite food, then there is no sense in living :) ". bad news is once u get used to eating less - these "stuff urself till u drop" days dont turn out to well, cause u feel sickly full very quickly. ( just picture how u feel at / after Christmas - thats the feeling ! )

4. Cant manage what u cant measure. MUST get a digital scale. In the early months, lost 3kg / month, now about 2 kg a month = 1 kg every 2 weeks......... the old mechanical scales just are too rough to keep u motivated and in the know of whats going on. Need good digital scale which will give you that " waow, i am 300 gr lighter this morning" buzz.

5. Graph weight - i key in my weight every morning to the web site. Gives u alot of insight to whats happening. its not a smooth line down !. General trend i see is - down alot, up, up a bit more, down a little, down alot............and the cycle repeats. weight can vary about 1 to 1.5 kg. Morning is best time to weigh for me. Web Site - Calorie Count

I use this web site, plot my progress. First week plotted my food intake, and now understand roughly how much Calories i shove down my throat, and thus control what goes in.

Cheers - hope it will help some one ( and hope i dont loose the plot - Aim is 92 kg, est target about mid september -slowly but surely ). Took ages to put in on, so dont expect it to come off over night.

As a SUMMARY - my issue really was over coming habits......... stopping the urge i.e. as you walk through a shopping mall to much on an ice cream.

Edited by skippybangkok

You are right its all about changing habits. I went from 108 to 95,5 but i was always muscular so 95,5 was not that heavy for me ne belly at all. Now im up to 103 still no belly and a lot more muscle. Its all about changing your life and your habits.

I have stopped eating too much rice and eating outside, the main problem is that they use bad oil here (palm oil) and other things. Now that i cook for myself and eat relatively high in protein and healthy fats i feel a lot better and its easy to loose weight. I lost a kg a week b4. In an other 2 months im going to loose a lot of fat again. This time im going for the 6 pac (i hope i can make it) . I think i can but in the end its all about what you eat and how much you exercise.

I do have to tell the previous poster that 1200 cal is not much its actually almost nothing. But i also when i was loosing weight did not eat much around 1900-2000 cal (and hitting the gym 4 or more times a week). But according to many sites what i ate was too lil for my weight and muscle mass.

I do believe that some people require less then others but going all the way to 1200 cal is a bit low.

You are right its all about changing habits. I went from 108 to 95,5 but i was always muscular so 95,5 was not that heavy for me ne belly at all. Now im up to 103 still no belly and a lot more muscle. Its all about changing your life and your habits.

I have stopped eating too much rice and eating outside, the main problem is that they use bad oil here (palm oil) and other things. Now that i cook for myself and eat relatively high in protein and healthy fats i feel a lot better and its easy to loose weight. I lost a kg a week b4. In an other 2 months im going to loose a lot of fat again. This time im going for the 6 pac (i hope i can make it) . I think i can but in the end its all about what you eat and how much you exercise.

I do have to tell the previous poster that 1200 cal is not much its actually almost nothing. But i also when i was loosing weight did not eat much around 1900-2000 cal (and hitting the gym 4 or more times a week). But according to many sites what i ate was too lil for my weight and muscle mass.

I do believe that some people require less then others but going all the way to 1200 cal is a bit low.

I think the Diff is the work out............. A good work out will burn maybe 700 or more which puts u in the same bracket. I am still a vegitable in that respect, and dont work out yet, thus the need for less cals. When i used to swim alot, i could eat and drink what ever i wanted, made no diff.

If i want to eat more, need to exercise :)

Edited by skippybangkok

I eat too much realy but a 7-10k walk most days burns the rubbish off.My height is 6ft and i went from 81k to 90k over a few months,including a trip back to the uk with my mum giving me so much english,rubbish food.I cut down on the rice and made up with veg curries made by my brill gf,and plenty of fruit with a few spuds during the week.Cut right down on the coke in Sangsom and had soda with a splash of lime in,even though i only drink twice a week,i must have put away over a bottle of coke each night out.

My weight now is 84k and i am big boned too so i feel realy healthy and my stomach fat has gone.Just started to wear my clothes that were tight a few months ago.

I eat too much realy but a 7-10k walk most days burns the rubbish off.My height is 6ft and i went from 81k to 90k over a few months,including a trip back to the uk with my mum giving me so much english,rubbish food.I cut down on the rice and made up with veg curries made by my brill gf,and plenty of fruit with a few spuds during the week.Cut right down on the coke in Sangsom and had soda with a splash of lime in,even though i only drink twice a week,i must have put away over a bottle of coke each night out.

My weight now is 84k and i am big boned too so i feel realy healthy and my stomach fat has gone.Just started to wear my clothes that were tight a few months ago.

Yep not everyone is overweight at a certain weight it is al relative to your bones and muscles. That is why BMI is utterly worthless.

I think the Diff is the work out............. A good work out will burn maybe 700 or more which puts u in the same bracket. I am still a vegitable in that respect, and dont work out yet, thus the need for less cals. When i used to swim alot, i could eat and drink what ever i wanted, made no diff.

If i want to eat more, need to exercise :)

I am sure that is the difference, but we both dont burn much calories. We should in fact burn a lot more then that. But like i said i believe that not everyone is the same some burn more by nature.

Great post. Looks like you are working hard. One thing I would recommend is a meal replacemment powder to help you avoid snacking between meals. They are a bit hard to get here but worth it as they have a balance of diff food groups and vitamins etc.

Also, keep a food diary. Good research shows they help in keeping the weight off.

Good luck.

Hey,

Just wanna share some experience. Since got married, have climbed steadily from about 95 to 110kg........ too much as you can imagine, just did not feel comfortable with my self ( for my height and frame - 92 to 95 is about right ) . What worked for me........

1. Breaking Habits - ( not the things Nun's wear ! ) ...... first issue was over coming habits. Dipping in the fridge, even late at night, chocolate milk ( Hershy's yummy ) etc. Thing which worked for me was asking my self am i really hungry or just habitually want to eat something. If you sit and ask your self " am i really hungry?", i would answer myself - in most cases "no" was the answer. If i have a fridge urge, a very very cold diet coke with ice seems to do the trick.

2. Max Cal per day - Read a bit, and the trend these days is eat what ever you want, any time - but not more than a certain amount of Calories in a 24 hour period. Generally i have a small bowl of Muesli ( not fancy stuff- just oats mixed with nuts and fruit ) in the morning. Its very very heavy on the stomach, and keeps hunger away for a long time. Maybe 11 am a small coffee ( milk and sugar - what ever tickles ur fancy ) and at 2pm some fruit and another coffee ( p.s. i normally drink coffee ( latte, low fat) at about 1/4 strength of what most people like - so can drink tons of it ). Evening might have something light - noodles, salad and some chicken or something not too heavy. Diet coke also helps fill them voids where i feel i just need to put something down my throat. Although not recommended, i take in about 1200 cals per day, but dont exercise much (at all ) or get too much movement.

3. Reward Day - Pick one day a week i litterally stuff my face with what ever i want. My theory is "if you can never have your favourite food, then there is no sense in living :) ". bad news is once u get used to eating less - these "stuff urself till u drop" days dont turn out to well, cause u feel sickly full very quickly. ( just picture how u feel at / after Christmas - thats the feeling ! )

4. Cant manage what u cant measure. MUST get a digital scale. In the early months, lost 3kg / month, now about 2 kg a month = 1 kg every 2 weeks......... the old mechanical scales just are too rough to keep u motivated and in the know of whats going on. Need good digital scale which will give you that " waow, i am 300 gr lighter this morning" buzz.

5. Graph weight - i key in my weight every morning to the web site. Gives u alot of insight to whats happening. its not a smooth line down !. General trend i see is - down alot, up, up a bit more, down a little, down alot............and the cycle repeats. weight can vary about 1 to 1.5 kg. Morning is best time to weigh for me. Web Site - Calorie Count

I use this web site, plot my progress. First week plotted my food intake, and now understand roughly how much Calories i shove down my throat, and thus control what goes in.

Cheers - hope it will help some one ( and hope i dont loose the plot - Aim is 92 kg, est target about mid september -slowly but surely ). Took ages to put in on, so dont expect it to come off over night.

As a SUMMARY - my issue really was over coming habits......... stopping the urge i.e. as you walk through a shopping mall to much on an ice cream.

• 3 weeks later...

Seven years ago I came to Thailand. 110 KG and BMI 32. In two years I lost weight and became 83 kilo. BMI 24. How ? Eating Thai food, and lots of bicycle. There was no cheese available in Nongkhai and other stuff you find in the fridge....

My friends asked me about this. YOU LOOK TERRIBLE ! So I started weight training and had good friends in the work out parlor, body builders who helped me with all that stuff. So I gained weight and I am 95 k now, BMI 27.

But OHO that cheese ! I need father Xmas to tell me HOHOHO. Drink a few beers per day, 2 cans, and a glass of wine. Eat Thai food and fruits and lots of vegetables. No meat, just salmon and pla tab tim. And 3 L of water every day.

I think everyone can do it. Lose weight. Just control that big hole close to your nose....

But stay away from cheese....

Great post. Looks like you are working hard. One thing I would recommend is a meal replacemment powder to help you avoid snacking between meals. They are a bit hard to get here but worth it as they have a balance of diff food groups and vitamins etc.

Also, keep a food diary. Good research shows they help in keeping the weight off.

Good luck.

Thanks - whats this magical stuff? Where to find it. I generally am ok, can go from my muesli breakfast to a light meal in the evening no problem now. Take a low fat Latte / coffee if feel the urge to eat - solve the issue ( and dont u just love latte's with cinamon ! mmmmmmmmm).

Had too many functions over the last 2 weeks, and some cases where i needed to taste things to give my oppinion - jumped up 2kg ( not real weight, just "stuff going thru the system" ) . back to 97.5, and hope i can continue on my slow but sure Journey.

Thx

Good luck to you mate..you sound like you're on the right path.

I've never really looked into quite so scientifically as you, but in my own case i went from 92kg to 78 after 3 months of living in Thailand.

I put it down to my new addiction to various types of noodles,tom sum, and tom yum..with lots of chilli added..they say chilli is good for the metabolism...and a steady diet of amber fluid doesnt seem to hurt me either!

I generally dont have a real lot of rice with meals but the main factor was coming from an aussie diet of bulk sausages and huge steaks to the small amounts of meat you find in dishes here.

I believe if you appreciate the flavour of spicier foods you will be satisfied quicker and hence the involuntary indicators that tell your body its full will work a lot more efficiently.

I can eat mcdonalds and kentucky all night and not really feel full..just feel sick, yet a bowl of really nice noodles will be quite filling.

Keep in mind that as your body becomes more familiar to the asian diet the stomach will shrink and it will take a lot less food to feel full.

Keep it up and you will achieve..no doubts

95.8 and counting..........

If your looking for meal replacements there is a thing you can do

Buy protein powder

Buy oat meal (no sugar ect)

Put 1 scoop of protein powder with 50 gr of oat meal and some milk in the blender

blend it

drink it

If you need more calories add more oatmeal.

Good luck to you mate..you sound like you're on the right path.

I've never really looked into quite so scientifically as you, but in my own case i went from 92kg to 78 after 3 months of living in Thailand.

I put it down to my new addiction to various types of noodles,tom sum, and tom yum..with lots of chilli added..they say chilli is good for the metabolism...and a steady diet of amber fluid doesnt seem to hurt me either!

I generally dont have a real lot of rice with meals but the main factor was coming from an aussie diet of bulk sausages and huge steaks to the small amounts of meat you find in dishes here.

I believe if you appreciate the flavour of spicier foods you will be satisfied quicker and hence the involuntary indicators that tell your body its full will work a lot more efficiently.

I can eat mcdonalds and kentucky all night and not really feel full..just feel sick, yet a bowl of really nice noodles will be quite filling.

Keep in mind that as your body becomes more familiar to the asian diet the stomach will shrink and it will take a lot less food to feel full.

Keep it up and you will achieve..no doubts

I had the opposite because of the sugar in everything here i gained weight and it was so hard to remove it. I got frustrated from training because there was no result. I got results when i started cooking for myself and eating more chicken and less rice.

But i think things are different for every body type.

I workout really hard at least 4 times a week. Then i do some cardio too and even that did not help. Only when i changed my dieet did i start to see results.

On the other hand i gain muscle easier then most but loosing fat is hel_l for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Steady weight loss is better than hearing "I LOST FIVE kILO'S IN TWO WEEKS" that you hear from people who are on a crash diet, then they put all the weight back on in half the time it took to loose it.

Interesting to hear how many people put wieght on whilst in Thailand I personnaly loose two/three kilo each trip which is only over three weeks (not that I try to loose weight) all about the diet and climate for me IMO.

Well done Skippy.

I have never put on any weight since I came to Thailand I am 176 cm tall and I weigh about 75 kg

my wife tells me I am getting to fat :D Yes I have a bit of a belly like most men get when they turn a certain age but apart from that I am not fat at all. So should I be worried or tell my wife to get lost? :)

She weighs 51 kg I think and is shorter than me

Your weight doesnt sound much but weight doesnt say much either.

I am 180cm and 104 kg but with no belly. It all depends on your build and muscles. If you are really skinny but have a fat belly i would worry. It happens.

If you just have a lil bit of a belly dont worry and you can try to loose it if you want or not. Up to you.

Eating 1200 calories is counter productive, especially if 92kg is a 'good weight' for you (indicating that you're either very tall or quite muscular). In either case, you should look up your minimum caloric intake. If you starve yourself (which you are doing, unknowingly), you're crashing your metabolism and stunting muscle growth. You will lose weight in the short term and gain it back the second you want to pick up normal eating habits again. The secret is eating the right stuff, not eating less. I never eat less than 1800 calories a day, and my preferred weight is somewhere around 70kg at 5'10. I'm still losing 2lbs a week. I've been down that same road and it's been ineffective. Slow and steady is the road to self improvement :) The rest of your comments are pretty much spot on.

Eating 1200 calories is counter productive, especially if 92kg is a 'good weight' for you (indicating that you're either very tall or quite muscular). In either case, you should look up your minimum caloric intake. If you starve yourself (which you are doing, unknowingly), you're crashing your metabolism and stunting muscle growth. You will lose weight in the short term and gain it back the second you want to pick up normal eating habits again. The secret is eating the right stuff, not eating less. I never eat less than 1800 calories a day, and my preferred weight is somewhere around 70kg at 5'10. I'm still losing 2lbs a week. I've been down that same road and it's been ineffective. Slow and steady is the road to self improvement :) The rest of your comments are pretty much spot on.

Thx...186cm.... 1/2 tall :D must admit that i am pretty stagnant..... dont exercise / move around alot. As such, my burn rate will be quite low ( so i am looking at the diff between burn and intake rather than the intake as an absolute).

Is there any difference if you burn 3000, and eat 2500 per day, or 2000 and 1500 respectively ?

Have had a gradual loss for 8 months now, maybe 1.5 kg to 2kg / month

Rgds

Thx...186cm.... 1/2 tall :D must admit that i am pretty stagnant..... dont exercise / move around alot. As such, my burn rate will be quite low ( so i am looking at the diff between burn and intake rather than the intake as an absolute).

Is there any difference if you burn 3000, and eat 2500 per day, or 2000 and 1500 respectively ?

Have had a gradual loss for 8 months now, maybe 1.5 kg to 2kg / month

Rgds

There is a difference, because you get more nutrients in your body if you eat more. So in a way it could be healthier, food is not only to power your body but you also get stuf that your body needs. Its always good to do some exercising anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out a website called Natural Hormonal Enhancement it's a eating plan that uses your diet to maximize your hormones testosterone, and gowth hormone and also in the process regulate your insulin so that you donot go into a catabolic state.

Also ingesting the proper foods at the right times will increase your metabolizum (spelling). Protien in the form of red meat not processed has the highest thermogenic value, vegetables such as brocolie, cabbage, asparugus, and many other non processed vegetables take nearly as much energy to digest as you get from them. Stay away from the carbs especially the processed stuff not much thermoginic value. When you do eat carbs cut back on the fat and protien.

It takes protien to make muscle, if you donot get enough protien you will waste away and grow old and weak before your time.

Buy protein powder

Put 1 scoop of protein powder with 50 gr of oat meal and some milk in the blender

blend it

drink it

Last year in Holland I lived on shakes like that for a while (replaced breakfast and lunch with it) It really helps a lot. I just put muesli, extra nuts, protein powder, fruits, extra raisins (to make it a bit sweeter without using sugar) and milk and water in the blender and made a huge shake (almost 2 liters) which I used during the day before went to the gym. It really helped me lose weight and gain muscles, was fit and in shape in 3 months and lost 7 kilos. I had posted this before by can't find it anymore, here are some tips which worked for me (remember, each person has a different body structure so results might not be the same). My goals were lose weight and get fit quick (you have to go to the gym though, about 3 times a week):

1) each little thing can help. replace: drink a glass of water instead of a coke. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk/ go by bicycle instead of going by motorbike if its not too far. etc.

2) drink lots of water if you excersice during the day

3) if you have acces to a sauna: go there: good bloodcirculation is important. I always warm up on one of them bicycle machines to get my blood pumping for the same reason.

4) don't spend most time working on one body part, make a nice allround body routine, this way you'll lose quicker and get fit quicker too.

5) just watch what you are eating for a while: no need for fancy diets if you use your common sense: eat healthy food, eat warm meals and make sure you are full (this way you'll not snack). Try stay away from: alcohol, coffee, sweets, snacks.

Will put some more later on.

Buy protein powder

blend it

drink it

Last year in Holland I lived on shakes like that for a while (replaced breakfast and lunch with it) It really helps a lot. I just put muesli, extra nuts, protein powder, fruits, extra raisins (to make it a bit sweeter without using sugar) and milk and water in the blender and made a huge shake (almost 2 liters) which I used during the day before went to the gym. It really helped me lose weight and gain muscles, was fit and in shape in 3 months and lost 7 kilos. I had posted this before by can't find it anymore, here are some tips which worked for me (remember, each person has a different body structure so results might not be the same). My goals were lose weight and get fit quick (you have to go to the gym though, about 3 times a week):

1) each little thing can help. replace: drink a glass of water instead of a coke. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk/ go by bicycle instead of going by motorbike if its not too far. etc.

2) drink lots of water if you excersice during the day

3) if you have acces to a sauna: go there: good bloodcirculation is important. I always warm up on one of them bicycle machines to get my blood pumping for the same reason.

4) don't spend most time working on one body part, make a nice allround body routine, this way you'll lose quicker and get fit quicker too.

5) just watch what you are eating for a while: no need for fancy diets if you use your common sense: eat healthy food, eat warm meals and make sure you are full (this way you'll not snack). Try stay away from: alcohol, coffee, sweets, snacks.

Will put some more later on.

Ah .... I found my other post with tips:

Personally I do not believe in pills etc. to lose weight. Just in hard work and eating right. Last year when I was back home I watched what I ate, went to the gym about 3/4 times a week (just because I love it as well) and in stead of doing everything by motorbike I did everything by bycicle or by foot.

I also made my own "fluid diet" for one month. I basically put fruits, milk, water, muesli (sometimes added some nuts or raisins) along with some creatine (powder for protein shakes) in a blender and made a 2 liter shake which I drank for breakfast and lunch. I watched what I ate for dinner (if it is nutricious, its no problem to take a second plate).

I lost 7 kilos from 85 down to 78 (I am 1,85m) in less than 3 months. Here are some tips:

1 small things make a difference. Take a glass of water instead of a coke. take the stairs instead of the elevator.

2 after workout go to the sauna: good for muscles, good to relax and relief you from stress, good for blood flow, good to sweat (you lose weight from sauna too, but only temporary as it is the fluids you lose, drink water and you're right up there again).

3 talk to the professionals at the gym to make a good workout! tell them your goals and the period wherein you want to acheive them.

4 common mistake when doing situps: just do 8-12 heavy reps and very slowly instead of doing as many as you can (because that is not going to work). This will makes you stronger, slimmer and gives you a six pack.

5 when u want to lose weight, do not only run on the threadmill, an allround body workout will make you lose weight too and will give your body more rest as you'll be doing one groups of muscles 1 day and another group another day (this way you will not end up sore everyday).

6 if you don't have the discipline it helps to go with a buddy or set the evenings you are going (mon,wed,fri for inst.)

7 Eat less food containing lots of carbohydrates (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, beans) and eat more fruits, veggies, fish (make sure you get your fual from somewhere, so it is not recommended not to eat bread, rice etc. at all) Don't eat less: eat good!!!

8 Drink lots of water.

9 It helps to not to drink, not to smoke, not to snack. Just replace them with sex in case you can't take it any longer, lol.

10 Rest properly will get you more engery, better recovery and less stress.

When you read them back, apart from the actual workout, they are all small and easy to do, but it takes discipline to stick with it. This is why people look for an easy way out such as extreme diets and pills.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks.......... next addition i want to talk about is the "plateau"

I noticed on the way up, i would stay at a certain weight for a long time no matter what i ate, and then boom, like over night you would increase to the next plateau.

Well, on the way back down, i have the same issue. I was falling constantly 2kg / month until i hit 96kg. was flat at 96 for 6 weeks, and finally resorted to drastic measures - swimming again :) I am up to 1200meters free style non stop......... maybe 4x a week, eat the same as before..... and still hanging at 96. Baffles me.

Thanks.......... next addition i want to talk about is the "plateau"

I noticed on the way up, i would stay at a certain weight for a long time no matter what i ate, and then boom, like over night you would increase to the next plateau.

Well, on the way back down, i have the same issue. I was falling constantly 2kg / month until i hit 96kg. was flat at 96 for 6 weeks, and finally resorted to drastic measures - swimming again :) I am up to 1200meters free style non stop......... maybe 4x a week, eat the same as before..... and still hanging at 96. Baffles me.

I had the same problems, cant really do much about it except drastic measures like what your doing now. Just bear with it it should be ok in the end. I know its frustrating and i think it happens to all of us. These are body set points that you just have to overcome.