Whatever Happened To?

mrbojangles

It's gonna be a long few months without our beloved sport. So I thought we could have a little game to keep us interested anf could be quite knowledgeable.

OK, I'll start.

Whatever happened to:- Joe Corrigan ?

Joe was a Man City goal stopper, playing 592 games.

After retiring from football he was the Goalkeeping Coach at Liverpool, from 1994 until the arrival of Rafael Benítez in 2004. After that he had a short spell at Chester and Stockport County. In 2005, Corrigan joined West Bromwich Albion and is now about to retire.

Who's up next lads and lass?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's gonna be a long few months without our beloved sport. So I thought we could have a little game to keep us interested anf could be quite knowledgeable.

OK, I'll start.

After retiring from football he was the Goalkeeping Coach at Liverpool, from 1994 until the arrival of Rafael Benítez in 2004. After that he had a short spell at Chester and Stockport County. In 2005, Corrigan joined West Bromwich Albion and is now about to retire.

Who's up next lads and lass?

I'm Pals with some of his relations who are on Samui, top Lads too... :)

What ever happened to Ralph Milne, no, seriously......!?!?!

redrus

I know he played for us for a little while, end of the 80's/early 90's i'm pretty sure..

^.....LOL, 2 games mate....

There doesn't seem to be a lot of info, Wiki doesn't spread any light.....

Career

Alex Ferguson;

"If I had an outstanding failure then it was Ralph Milne. He should have been playing in World Cups. He should have won a bundle of Scotland international honours. It was a tragedy that that boy was not playing for his country all the time. He had tremendous talent - and I failed with him. He did not have the right attitude to the game and I could not instil that into him."[1]

Milne is Dundee United's all-time top scorer in Europe with a tally of 15 in the two competitions - the UEFA and European Cups. Whilst the latter stages of the player's career were perhaps hampered by off-field activities, no Dundee United supporter will forget Ralph Milne's contribution to early 1980s successes both in Europe and on the domestic front.

In November 1988, he signed for Manchester United in a £150,000 deal. He arrived at Old Trafford two years after the appointment of Alex Ferguson as manager, and was fielded as a left winger.

redrus

Former Dundee United star Ralph Milne reveals his battle with the booze

Nov 15 2008 By James Moncur Daily Record

LEGENDARY footballer Ralph Milne has spoken for the first time about his greatest moments on the pitch and his battle with the booze off it.

In an exclusive interview with the Record, the 47-year-old talked openly about the struggles he has faced since leaving football The Dundee United striker was one of the most exciting players of the 1980s, bemusing opponents with electric pace.

He went on to play for Manchester United - but always enjoyed a big drink.

He was once ordered by his doctor to cut back on alcohol.

But the father-of-two admitted the change in lifestyle proved a bit difficult.

He said: "I went to the doc because I wasn't feeling great and he said I had to cut my intake down or risk some pretty serious health problems.

"I went away with that warning and I managed to drop from 20 to 19 pints a session. That's how bad it was."

Last year, he decided enough was enough and quit the booze overnight.

Ralph said: "I started drinking lime and sodas in an effort to sort myself out but after a bit I couldn't speak.

"My face was totally paralysed and I thought I was having a stroke. I was in a right state and in a panic I rushed to A&E.

"The doctors said my body was reacting to coming off the drink too quick and they actually told me to get back down to the pub and have a pint and try to give up much more slowly."

The Record caught up with Ralph in Broughty Ferry, Dundee, where he is staying with a relative.

He talked warmly about his career, saying: "I have absolutely no regrets and wouldn't change a thing.

"I've got some fantastic memories of my time as a footballer and loved every minute of it.

"I got the chance to play for Dundee United and Manchester United and scored some fantastic goals along the way.

What more could a man want?"

Ralph signed for Dundee United under hardline manager Jim McLean in 1977.

His debut two years later was the catalyst for some of the most exciting attacking football seen at Tannadice.

On his day, Ralph was unstoppable, often leaving international defenders such as Roy Aitken, Alex McLeish and Willie Miller tackling thin air.

He reserved his best performances for the European stage, scoring 15 goals - a record that still stands and one that is not likely to be beaten.

And no Arabs fan will forget his breathtaking chipped goal which secured the club's league championship in 1983.

He said: "It was a great time to be a footballer. Some of the stuff we played was out of this world.

"There were times when I could run around everybody and score for fun.

"You can teach someone a bit of skill and how to pass a ball but it is impossible to teach pace. That's what I had and it terrified the best defenders in the land."

He had a tempestuous relationship with McLean - and claims the tough manager picked on him despite a host of match-winning displays.

In one case, he was fined a week's wages by the gaffer for simply leaving the gym light on.

In McLean's autobiography, Jousting With Giants, he says: "If I had an outstanding failure then it was Ralph Milne. He had tremendous talent. He did not have the right attitude."

Ralph left Dundee United in 1987 and moved to Charlton and then Bristol City, where he landed his big break.

After one training session, he was called into manager Joe Jordan's office thinking that a move to Aberdeen was on the cards.

But instead, it was Alex Ferguson's Manchester United.

Ralph said: "When Joe said Fergie wanted me to play for him I though it was a wind-up until he called Old Trafford and handed the phone to me.

"Alex was on the other end and asked if I fancied going to United. Did I fancy it? I'll remember that call as long as I live - I couldn't get to Manchester quick enough."

Ralph signed for s125,000, replacing Republic of Ireland star Kevin Moran in the Red Devils' dressing room where he was given a peg between hellraising drinkers, Norman Whiteside and Paul McGrath.

The notorious pair were recovering from injuries at the time and it wasn't long before Ralph was hitting the town with them on all-day benders.

Ralph said: "Although Fergie tried to stamp it out, we'd always end up drunk in some bar somewhere. Norman and Paul were heavy boozers and there was a macho culture at the club which meant I had to keep up."

Ralph's time at Old Trafford didn't work out. Ralph was pilloried by Reds' supporters who regularly list him in their "worst-ever-signings" team. But the short-sighted fans only saw glimpses of his true skill.

Ralph's most surreal footballing moment came in the twilight of his career when he was asked to try out for Hong Kong club Sing Tao.

He turned up to meet the club's UK agent. He took Ralph to London's St James' Park, ordered him to change behind a tree and told him to start dribbling the ball in the shadow of Buckingham Palace. Ralph repeatedly beat him and was signed.

When Ralph retired, he took over a pub near Bristol, which he ran for about 10 years before returning to Dundee three years ago.

Ralph admits he has little to show from his time as a pro and like George Best, he says he spent his money on "booze, birds and gambling and wasted the rest."

Loyal pals have given him a number of low-paid jobs over the years - he recently worked as a delivery driver before being arrested for alleged drink-driving as he headed to work one morning.

Last month, Ralph, who has two grown up sons, attended the funeral of United chairman Eddie Thompson where his appearance sparked fears for his health.

At about the same time, a rumour also started that he was a down-andout, living in a homeless hostel.

But Ralph denied the claim and urged people not to worry about him.

He said: "I sign about two or three autographs a day and can't walk down the street without someone shaking my hand with a big grin on their face and that, to me, is what it's all about."

'They told me to get back down the pub, have another pint and give up slower'

redrus

redrus

I know he played for us for a little while, end of the 80's/early 90's i'm pretty sure..

^.....LOL, 2 games mate....

Memory like an Elephant... :)

BJ, would you object if i chage the Game as anyone can look on Wiki for this current Game ??

My Game, if you fancy, think of a Player then name 3 Teams he's played for, in order IE Mido = Pond Life, Boro, Wigan, & then the Form has to guess the Player, got it ??

I'll go first & you name the Player..

Liverpool, Sunderland, Blackburn ??

BJ, would you object if i chage the Game as anyone can look on Wiki for this current Game ??

My Game, if you fancy, think of a Player then name 3 Teams he's played for, in order IE Mido = Pond Life, Boro, Wigan, & then the Form has to guess the Player, got it ??

I'll go first & you name the Player..

Jason Mcatears.....?

redrus

No worries. We'll see how it goes. :)

El Hadj Diouf

Edit- strike that. That dirty spitting git played for Bolton not Sunderland

Edited by mrbojangles

redrus

Redrus,

I used to drink in his pub in Nailsea, just outside of Bristol. Nice bloke, but had a bit of a drinking problem. Used to enjoy dropping in there as a few of my work mates were regulars i.e. everyday.

He has now left the pub business, and I believe he is back up in Dundee fighting the battle with the booze.

Dunno yours, but mine hasn't been answered yet. Not Diarra.

To make it easy, he scored a very big goal for Liverpool in a very big match. To be clear, again its Lens, Liverpool, Bourdeaux. Another hint, he's not a Frenchman and he is currently playing in his home country.

Oh, and for MSingh's , Jimmy Bullard?

Edited by Jimjim

Dunno yours, but mine hasn't been answered yet. Not Diarra.

To make it easy, he scored a very big goal for Liverpool in a very big match. To be clear, again its Lens, Liverpool, Bourdeaux. Another hint, he's not a Frenchman and he is currently playing in his home country.

Oh, and for MSingh's , Jimmy Bullard?

Smicer ???

Mine's not Bullard..

No world games? There is the Confederations Cup, which some are scoffing at. But I plan to watch. What's to scoff at in a tournament of the best from each continent? June 14-28 in South Africa. Watch it, Mig. I think there will be some entertaining matches.

World Cup qualifiers this week as well.

Yes, you got it, twas Smicer. Is yours still at Stoke?

No world games? There is the Confederations Cup, which some are scoffing at. But I plan to watch. What's to scoff at in a tournament of the best from each continent? June 14-28 in South Africa. Watch it, Mig. I think there will be some entertaining matches.

Not sure if still at Stoke but was when we won there in April..

Don't remember ever buying a player off Wigan..

Don't remember ever buying a player off Wigan..

Who said we bought him ?? :)

I'll give you a clue, he's quite flash & needs to focus on his Game a little more..

Always thinks about the Snap Shot..

It's gonna be a long few months without our beloved sport.

If you were in a real football league you wouldnt have to wait so long!

OK, I'll start.

I couldnt tell you to be honest what happened to Corrigan but he was always a good keeper as i remember. Who was the black keeper Man City used to have in goal in the early 80s i remember him coming to Newcastle and getting 5 put past him on a scorching sunny day ... Beardsley hat trick if memory serves.