Run Away From This School

I'm not sure if it is proper to discuss this topic, but if not, please delete.

I have an encounter with ***** name of school deleted under forum rules **** and my best advice is to run away!

They don't pay promised salaries or other agreed upon compensation. The probation funds they dock from your pay the first three months will be kept and they don't reimburse plane tickets as they promise. Any money for additional classes over and above contract hours is near impossible to collect.

Lifespan for native speaker is about three months. Basically, when probation is completed (or sooner) then start looking for problems to arise. They have to get teachers from abroad because the teachers from other countries don't know *****' reputation.

Maybe this is common for Thai schools. Just worked at a few so far and this one seems worse than normal. I know this is an old topic but I always appreciate it when someone throws up a flag so I can avoid problems.

Edit:

Name of school deleted as our forum rules do not allow to name and shame for legal reasons. Mario2008

Very sorry to hear about your problem. A few schools are notorious for doing this thing. Some others are pretty good, but for various reasons, they 'pick' on certain teachers. Recently knew of someone who got completely screwed by a school that usually doesn't do this stuff.

Best of luck to you.

• 10 years later...

Actually stand your ground and work out how to take legal action / report it.

Do you have a contract?

Have they breached it? On what grounds?

Don't get into an I said, you said debate. Document it.

If you're talking airfares, monthly deductions (<deleted>!) they will be in breach. There will have needed to be a valid contract for them to get work permits etc. There are things you cannot just put in a contract because you feel like it.

Ministry of Labour I think. You don't need a solicitor. Research the labour laws. 

Thing to remember when fighting legally, who has what skin in the game. They already took the lot off you. Now their butt is hanging out with a whole lot more at stake. There is fines and penalties.

Just work it out then lodge the compliant. Don't tell them just clarify deductions and reasons given. Document it!

4 hours ago, Toadie said:

Actually stand your ground and work out how to take legal action / report it.

Do you have a contract?

Have they breached it? On what grounds?

Don't get into an I said, you said debate. Document it.

If you're talking airfares, monthly deductions (<deleted>!) they will be in breach. There will have needed to be a valid contract for them to get work permits etc. There are things you cannot just put in a contract because you feel like it.

Ministry of Labour I think. You don't need a solicitor. Research the labour laws. 

Thing to remember when fighting legally, who has what skin in the game. They already took the lot off you. Now their butt is hanging out with a whole lot more at stake. There is fines and penalties.

Just work it out then lodge the compliant. Don't tell them just clarify deductions and reasons given. Document it!

10 year old thread, well done

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1