Ubon Farrang's Search...

Mr-Ubon

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep it's Ubon Ratchathani I talk about.

It's lot of fun here, but it cued be funny also to see some farrang's :o

Maybe it’s just me, but farangs in Ubon are some of the most unfriendly, unsmiling people I’ve never met. Of the 3 visits I’ve made (30 days total) the friendliest was a Frenchman (10 year expat) rice and cow farmer. Most you see in Ubon at the major shopping places don’t even brother to acknowledge you or make eye contact, let alone utter a friendly “hello”. What’s up with that.

Maybe it’s just me, but farangs in Ubon are some of the most unfriendly, unsmiling people I’ve never met. Of the 3 visits I’ve made (30 days total) the friendliest was a Frenchman (10 year expat) rice and cow farmer. Most you see in Ubon at the major shopping places don’t even brother to acknowledge you or make eye contact, let alone utter a friendly “hello”. What’s up with that.

IMO this happens because they like to feel like the only farang in town , meeting wih another seriously diminishes their importance.

Fools the lot of them....

I guess you lot should mosey on down to lil ole Surin..and we know what's there. :D

It's nearer then bloody Udon that's for sure

Lampard

Since you are the farang connection in Surin you could give me some advice where to find a nice hotel with swimming pool in Surin City or around there. Or maybe a standalone swimming pool. I want to go to Cham Pang market again and on the way back relax in beautiful Surin City. Thanks a lot :o

Roiet

Yes it is just you. I have been in the Ubon district only for 5 months and in that time I have met may fellow expats there. All of which I have had no trouble having a conversation to. In fact a couple of them have become quite good friends. Maybe it is the way that you confront other farangs that make them not want to make conversation. Anyway in typical thai way "Up to You"

I guess you lot should mosey on down to lil ole Surin..and we know what's there. :D

It's nearer then bloody Udon that's for sure

Lampard

Since you are the farang connection in Surin you could give me some advice where to find a nice hotel with swimming pool in Surin City or around there. Or maybe a standalone swimming pool. I want to go to Cham Pang market again and on the way back relax in beautiful Surin City. Thanks a lot :o

Roiet

Tong tharin & Petchkasem hotels both have pools.....best though is on Theep Thani Estate, 3km's out of town. It's where I live actually and the pools nice. Only thing is weekends full of kids.

Yes it is just you. I have been in the Ubon district only for 5 months and in that time I have met may fellow expats there. All of which I have had no trouble having a conversation to. In fact a couple of them have become quite good friends. Maybe it is the way that you confront other farangs that make them not want to make conversation. Anyway in typical thai way "Up to You"

Hi Sezzo.

In your time in Ubon district, have you heard about a meeting place in town?

Yes it is just you.  I have been in the Ubon district only for 5 months and in that time I have met may fellow expats there.  All of which I have had no trouble having a conversation to.  In fact a couple of them have become quite good friends.  Maybe it is the way that you confront other farangs that make them not want to make conversation.  Anyway in typical thai way "Up to You"

I'm glad to hear it's just me, if smiling and saying hello is considered a confrontation by some farang, I'll need to work on my people skills. I'm about a year away from making the area home. I'm not judging, just reporting an observation from my limited experiences.

Maybe it's their wives who have encouraged the husbands not to speak to other farangs. Last thing they may want is for their newly arrived husband to meet an "old hand" farang whilst waiting in Makro checkout with their 4 trolly loads of TV's, hi-fi's, rice cookers, shower heaters, etc.

:o:D

Yes it is just you.  I have been in the Ubon district only for 5 months and in that time I have met may fellow expats there.  All of which I have had no trouble having a conversation to.  In fact a couple of them have become quite good friends.  Maybe it is the way that you confront other farangs that make them not want to make conversation.  Anyway in typical thai way "Up to You"

I'm glad to hear it's just me, if smiling and saying hello is considered a confrontation by some farang, I'll need to work on my people skills. I'm about a year away from making the area home. I'm not judging, just reporting an observation from my limited experiences.

Hi there,,

I been monitoring this one and well i do have to give few comment's :o

I have been ,living in Ubon area now abt 8yrs and have to say that there is many faragn's here but like me most of us are living outside the town area and many times when all getting to town is weekend and majority are in either in Lotus or Big-C, some of us even in Makro. I do have noted that majority of foreigner's here are not talking so much, is it because of wife's,, well it might but i think it's simply because here we do not have so many farang's and as farang's seldomly seen, it's isolate people, when seeing other farang it's kind of seeing alien and typical western style, like mother's use to say " Dont talk to stranger's kicks in" :D

OK, getting back to meeting place for farang's, I have been trying to organize meeting, like monthly for us who are living here, so we could get to gether over this forum but like so many are here no one is interested, so i think we have to wait few more years when people are starting to open up more.

Im alway open for meeting and if not busy for beer as well and mostly in the weekend's i can be found fooling around in SK -Shopping mall in and out from My shop.

Me and Sezzo has been freinds and getting together as much we can from our work and get the buffee lunge in the Laithong hotel(Recomend to all, best buffee in the Ubon town), but so far no one else, like i said maybe in the few yrs time :D

AND Finallany Update for those who knows SK-Shopping park, as there is MVP movie theather and as i mentioned that they have English movies,, well i have been complaned to Owner as they did not want to show those so far and now they are considering to show English speaking movies ones a week, Schedule is still bending,,keep you updated and let you know schedule if i get my hands on it.

and some fact's "Topless saleswomen are legal in Liverpool, England, but only in >

tropical fish stores. (But of course!) " :D

Marco, that'd be great if you could inform us of the English movie's at SK. :o

Not only would the Farang's be interested, but I have some Thai friends that also want so see soundtrack on the big screen.

As for the local Farang hangout, I don't think there is anywhere worth going to. Ubon is a shocker for entertainment!

We have a group of six Farang's that get together most weekends, but at one another's home's.

Not only would the Farang's be interested, but I have some Thai friends that also want so see soundtrack on the big screen.

As for the local Farang hangout, I don't think there is anywhere worth going to. Ubon is a shocker for entertainment!

We have a group of six Farang's that get together most weekends, but at one another's home's.

Durango

6 farang's, where r u guys located? I know in Phibun is large Norwegian community.

• 1 month later...

Durango

6 farang's, where r u guys located? I know in Phibun is large Norwegian community.

• 1 month later...

I can understand the comment about unfriendly farangs, but the truth maybe that we all stand off waiting for the other to make conversation. I am living in London and only visit Ubon when we visit the wife's family in Pho Sai. It would be nice to know there is some kind of Ubon farang club, after a few days in the village I need contact with beer drinking english speakers.

Mark

I can understand the comment about unfriendly farangs, but the truth maybe that we all stand off waiting for the other to make conversation. I am living in London and only visit Ubon when we visit the wife's family in Pho Sai. It would be nice to know there is some kind of Ubon farang club, after a few days in the village I need contact with beer drinking english speakers.

Mark

Mark

When you would be in Ubon next time, we do not have club yet even i have tried to get people together,,, but so far people prefer to stay by they own,,,,,,but maybe in the future,,,

-Marco-

Hi Guys

Try the "Swing Party House" and "Smile" In Ubon you quite often find Farangs in those places Friday Saturday and Sunday and I am always up for it if you let me know your going.

Mark

Mark,

Im only about 40 ks from Pho Sai so when next in the area drop me a line and the coldies will be awaiting.

Carl

All you guys on this topic, how many of you live in or around

Ubonratchathani City

Been living in Ubon 8yrs already 40Km from town, but we haev shop in SK Shopping park and i'll be there rather ofthen while im home.

hey fellaz

i been in ubon for 2 years now and will probably be here alot longer,just opened a gym down by lake "hui wang nong" were a couple of foreigners down there and would like meet up with other guys in town.

why dont we set a date and a metting place?

• 3 months later...
hey fellaz

i been in ubon for 2 years now and will probably be here alot longer,just opened a gym down by lake "hui wang nong" were a couple of foreigners down there and would like meet up with other guys in town.

Hi guys,

I will be in Phibun for a week from coming monday (22nd august) if anyone wants to meet for a beer. I will be going to Ubon during that time but not sure how much time available...

Cheers

hey fellaz

Hi guys,

I will be in Phibun for a week from coming monday (22nd august) if anyone wants to meet for a beer. I will be going to Ubon during that time but not sure how much time available...

Cheers

Hi there

We usualy go to the Swing party house on a friday night around 9pm, so if you fancy a beer with us your welcome to join us at the bar. that's the other side

of the road opposite the Toyota showrooms on the main road in Ubon.