BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yuliusagungp

Electronic Cigarette

I am a happy user of ecigarettes. For my own part, I gave up smoking for 6 years but really missed it. Up until recently I haven't been concerned about health issues, partly because I experience them as being far less dangerous than cigs, and air pollution. My chest feels good.

But the WHO has made a real big deal of things in the last week. I have looked at available research. Mostly it seems to say that whilst nicotine poses some health risks, ecigs contain only trace amounts of toxins, though short term safety seems established, no long term data is available.

Am I missing something here?

What you are missing - and everyone else - is definitive studies linking ecigs to a cigarette habit. There is only supposition at this stage. Most of the worry about them concerns the effect on teens who are adopting ecigs (whether nicotine-based or nicotine-free) as a trendy habit. Some studies suggest 90% of cig smokers start in their teens. So the concern about ecigs as a catalyst to cig smoking is real and must be addressed.

In the meantime, it would help if the authorities in the leading countries made a distinction between nicotine-free liquid and nicotine-based liquid. This could lead to more acceptable legislation on the use of ecigs - I, for one, resent being told I can't vape my nicotine-free ecig in my own home, especially as it has helped, and continues to help, me fight nicotine addiction.

What you are missing - and everyone else - is definitive studies linking ecigs to a cigarette habit. There is only supposition at this stage. Most of the worry about them concerns the effect on teens who are adopting ecigs (whether nicotine-based or nicotine-free) as a trendy habit. Some studies suggest 90% of cig smokers start in their teens. So the concern about ecigs as a catalyst to cig smoking is real and must be addressed.

In the meantime, it would help if the authorities in the leading countries made a distinction between nicotine-free liquid and nicotine-based liquid. This could lead to more acceptable legislation on the use of ecigs - I, for one, resent being told I can't vape my nicotine-free ecig in my own home, especially as it has helped, and continues to help, me fight nicotine addiction.

It could be distorted reports, the Telegraph in particular, but it wasn't just about 'renormalising cig use', according to what I read there were references that pointed to them being as dangerous as cigs. One particular report highlighted a young lady as being told to pack up or get very sick. Formaldehyde was mentioned.

I was aware of the link between ecigs and normal cigs and do agree, they shoulkd be regulated as cigarettes are, and if dangerous as cigarettes should be banned.

But what I want to clarify is are they dangerous as up to this point the evidence suggests otherwise.

Dangerous as cigarettes? Without proper testing (and proper regulation), it's impossible to say, but it seems hardly likely. Scientific studies show about 4,000 chemicals in the standard tobacco cigarette - the makers load them with all sorts of additives and crap to make them more flavourful, burn correctly etc. It's these chemicals, compounded by the addictiveness of nicotine, that really knock you around. But what goes into e-liquid? This is the big question. Many people who make their own liquid for vaping don't use nicotine (it's bloody dangerous gear when it's at full strength - a drop on the skin can kill you). Some of the more common ingredients they use are propylene glycol and vegetable glycerine as the base. I have no idea of what is used in the liquid i buy - except it doesn't have nicotine.

I really can't imagine that e-liquid comes anywhere near cigarettes for harmfulness. Of course nicotine is addictive, but if using an ecig to quit smoking, it seems most people (like myself) slowly reduce the nicotine content to zero. That's the beauty of them. For teens who take up vaping, I guess it's an individual thing whether they use e-liquid that has nicotine or not. That's the big grey area for me.

Dangerous as cigarettes? Without proper testing (and proper regulation), it's impossible to say, but it seems hardly likely. Scientific studies show about 4,000 chemicals in the standard tobacco cigarette - the makers load them with all sorts of additives and crap to make them more flavourful, burn correctly etc. It's these chemicals, compounded by the addictiveness of nicotine, that really knock you around. But what goes into e-liquid? This is the big question. Many people who make their own liquid for vaping don't use nicotine (it's bloody dangerous gear when it's at full strength - a drop on the skin can kill you). Some of the more common ingredients they use are propylene glycol and vegetable glycerine as the base. I have no idea of what is used in the liquid i buy - except it doesn't have nicotine.

I really can't imagine that e-liquid comes anywhere near cigarettes for harmfulness. Of course nicotine is addictive, but if using an ecig to quit smoking, it seems most people (like myself) slowly reduce the nicotine content to zero. That's the beauty of them. For teens who take up vaping, I guess it's an individual thing whether they use e-liquid that has nicotine or not. That's the big grey area for me.

That's pretty much how I understand the situation. WHO is not being straight.

The allure for many teens (myself included) to smoking cigs is the frisson of danger, possible illegality and whiff of anarchy.

Making eCigs illegal may continue that. The big tobacco companies are trying to outlaw them for two reasons, one to save their own product and two, to make them dangerously appealing. When that happens, of course, Big Tobacco will produce their own eCigs. Win/win for them.

Fact is, for me anyway, eCigs weaned me off cigs and I have now weaned myself off nicotine and eCigs too. But according to many reports `there is no proof that they help people quit smoking`.

So I must be mistaken then.......................

I used e cig to quit nicitone.

Started on 24mg/ml.

Then every other bottle (2x30ml) I went to a lower dose. Example; 24 > 18 > 16 > 12 > 10 > 6...

I then started to dilute the very low percentage juice with pure 0% nicotine PG.

At the end I was vaping a very low dose like 0.033 % nicotine.

Then I just stopped!

If you want to avoid vaping nasty stuff then get pure PG and mix your own juice.

You don't really need flavours. Mostly they are just sugar and will rot your teeth...

If you can only buy flavoured juice "menthol" is the cleanest one.

The more sugar in the juice the quicker your pipe will gets blocked / burnt.

Tobacco flavours blocks pipes. Vegetable glycerine blocks pipes.

That's the real deal, folks!

Where i can buy electronic cigaret in Pattaya?

i saw on ebya,aliexpress an other online store sell electronic cigarettes.....

may be you can search on google

Hi I am in Jomtien / Pattaya . I would like to know where I can buy e-cigarettes and refills . Anyone please advise. Many thanks

Hi I am in Jomtien / Pattaya . I would like to know where I can buy e-cigarettes and refills . Anyone please advise. Many thanks

Go to thaivapers forum, plenty of info there plus members that sell good quality products.

http://www.thailandvapers.com/

When i was in the UK recently, i bought over the counter throw away e-cigs. That way, i was able to smoke in my mum's flat without running down 2 flights of stairs every couple of hours.

They were around 4 pounds each, and promise you 200 puffs. And they look like a real cig.

Here in Switzerland, they sell all the vape, e-cigs etc. but it's against the law to sell with nicotine. What i found, quite surprisingly, was that one of the e-cigs i bought in the UK (with nicotine) was actually made in Switzerland!!

I kept the packaging. Just in case there is some sort of new law for or against nicotine here!!

This is an old topic and E-cigarettes are illegal in Thailand.

//CLOSED//