Getting A Thai Driver's License In Chiang Mai

BlissfullyIgnorant

I'll be taking delivery of a new car in a few weeks time, and would like to get myself a Thai driver's license beforehand. From what I understand, I need the following:

1. A medical certificate (Any hospital can do)

2. A certificate of residency (can be obtained from Immigration)

3. My Passport

4. Existing OS or intl license (if I don't have this I have to do the tests)

The issue I'm not sure of is what type of visa I need. Apparently Immigration will issue the residency certificate for any visa type, as this is a requirement for purchasing a car on a foreigners name, but will the transport department accept a tourist visa when issuing a license?

I've also heard that there are "agents" who may be able to simplify the process. Anyone had any experience or advice on these?

I will be doing the tests as my OS license expired some time ago, if you've got your license in the Hang Dong test center recently, please share your experience.

Many thanks.

The issue I'm not sure of is what type of visa I need. Apparently Immigration will issue the residency certificate for any visa type, as this is a requirement for purchasing a car on a foreigners name, but will the transport department accept a tourist visa when issuing a license?

A tourist visa is not okay for a drivers license application. They'll want to see a non-immigrant visa.

I've also heard that there are "agents" who may be able to simplify the process. Anyone had any experience or advice on these?

Never heard of such agents myself (which is not to deny the possibility of their existence).

'Agents'.......... Why would you want to do that for something that's a total no-brainer thing like getting a drivers license????? Surely nobody is THAT insecure or feels THAT out of place in scary Thailand.

I'm going to get a little card made to buy at Macro. Better use an agent.

And my UBC subscription... anyone know of an agent?

Enlist a kid to go to kindergarten.. agent anyone?

Oh I found a really good agent who's just really good at securing membership cards for anything from Robinson dept store to KFC Happy Club cards. Just shout if you want his mobile!

ok I'll stop now. :o Just a little pet peeve rant not directed at anyone posting here. :D

'Agents'..........  Why would you want to do that for something that's a total no-brainer thing like getting a drivers license?????  Surely nobody is THAT insecure or feels THAT out of place in scary Thailand.   

I'm going to get a little card made to buy at Macro.  Better use an agent.

And my UBC subscription... anyone know of an agent?

Enlist a kid to go to kindergarten.. agent anyone?

Oh I found a really good agent who's just really good at securing membership cards for anything from Robinson dept store to KFC Happy Club cards.  Just shout if you want his mobile!

ok I'll stop now. :)  Just a little pet peeve rant not directed at anyone posting here. :P

As I understand it, the process of getting your license starts at around 9AM and finishes sometime in mid-late afternoon. If there's an agent that can save me the trouble of standing in queues, and missing lunch, I'd be more than happy to pay them. When I was back in my home country I used agents or staff to do my running around all the time.. Nothing's changed.

For the record, I don't buy the groceries, I think UBC is utter trash, I wouldn't trust anyone else to choose a school for my child, I think that Robinson is for penniless peasants, and don't much care for KFC.. just my little rant :)