Tv Recommended Please

Lopburi99

I am getting ready to buy a new TV abd would appreciate recommendations.

Price is a factor, but I am more interested in superior quality.

About 27" (not crazy big, my hearing is too bad to sit far away :) ). Great picture quality is foremost. Also, I need to have audio tuning to turn up the treble for my poor hearing - too much base blurrs the sound for me.

One important question: I have seen on Thai TV (channel 3 and others) a note saying something like "English language soundtrack available for dual language TVs." The TV store salespeople don't have a clue what I am referring to. Do only certain TVs have this so called "dual language" capability? I am not referring to the available of english for the Menu setup, which most if not all TVs offer. It is this supposed English soundtrack I am interested in. Has anybody successfully utilized this English language feaure on their TV for Thai channels? Hearing Thai news spoken in English is what interests me most. Thanks.

Most news will not be broadcast in English - you will/may get the normal soundtrack of movies and imported programs (often they mess it up) - but only if you are using direct reception from a station that provides dual language (which may only be Bangkok). The system is usually called the German Stereo system and only a few models seem to have it (or years ago that was the case). If you are using cable it may offer another system or none at all.

There are some bargains to be had as the new LED TVs have effectively made Plasma a thing of the past. You should be able to pick up a quality 26" LCD or Plasma for 15-18k if you shop around. Go with Samsung or LG for quality and look carefully for a high progressive scan rate of more than 100Hertz (200 or more would be great) and a high contrast ratio.

You can easily improve the sound quality with a basic speaker system. Even a cheap one like AJ or Soken for 3-5k would vastly improve on any TV speakers and you could get the treble control you are looking for.

The 'dual-language' refers only to programs like movies, TV shows or documentaries where both a Thai and English soundtrack are broadcast. Like the soundtracks on DVDs, these soundtracks will have been pre-recorded and stored at source.

Look on your TV remote for a button with Roman numerals, something like - I-II - Pressing this will flick between the two soundtracks if your TV can do this. Unfortunately this function can't translate Thai news into English for you!

There are some bargains to be had as the new LED TVs have effectively made Plasma a thing of the past. You should be able to pick up a quality 26" LCD or Plasma for 15-18k if you shop around. Go with Samsung or LG for quality and look carefully for a high progressive scan rate of more than 100Hertz (200 or more would be great) and a high contrast ratio.

You can easily improve the sound quality with a basic speaker system. Even a cheap one like AJ or Soken for 3-5k would vastly improve on any TV speakers and you could get the treble control you are looking for.

The 'dual-language' refers only to programs like movies, TV shows or documentaries where both a Thai and English soundtrack are broadcast. Like the soundtracks on DVDs, these soundtracks will have been pre-recorded and stored at source.

Look on your TV remote for a button with Roman numerals, something like - I-II - Pressing this will flick between the two soundtracks if your TV can do this. Unfortunately this function can't translate Thai news into English for you!

Quality-wise, which delivers the best picture - LED, Plasma or LCD? Or is there any appreciable difference for the same scan rate and contrast ratio? Being thin is not important. It just sits in an entertainment center anyway.

I could sworn it was on channel 3 during a Thai news broadcase that I saw the message, in english, about an English sound track being available. But that is a moot point because once I have a TV which utilizes dual sound tracks I would just try it and see. Since I believe dual sound tracks will be common in the future I'd like my new TV to be sure to have that capability. And certainly for the currently offered dual language viewings I'd like to be able to take advantage of hearing them in English. Thanks

Actually dual sound tracks were more common 30 years ago - at that time the major TV stations broadcast the original soundtrack on FM radio and there were many imported series shown. Most programming on Thai stations these days is local language only.

Believe you are asking about CRT, LCD and Plasma (as LED is still in the future). CRT will provide an excellent picture but it will not be the new wide screen format (which I and believe most people prefer). Plasma is fading out as the more reliable LCD models keep dropping in price.

For LCD the 32" is a good size for sitting close. They normally offer many options and input possiabilities. To me the current generation of LCD sets is the best choice and even the cheapest models are good enough for my eyes. If you check side-by-side you may see the difference but at home they should all provide a good picture (as long as the input is good).

In Bangkok and perhaps other places it is possible to get direct using the German dual language stereo system on your TV set. That is how the cable company gets it. On True analog CATV system using the old SA decoders you also require the dual language TV to receive it. On the digital systems it is done in there decoders.