Bait

GarryP

People have been asking about bait in the past. Thought I'd upload a list. Unfortunately, only in Thai language but maybe you could get the wife/gf or Thai friend to translate it for you. Can't be bothered myself as I can read Thai. It mentions the types of fish each bait is suitable for.

One of my favorites is as follows:

Rice bran (very fine) preferably from Jasmine rice. One bag full, should be about 1 kg. You can cook it in a wok at low heat just to very lightly brown it and bring out the scent. Do not add anything else to the wok and only do it when the missus is not at home. :) Be careful not to burn it. If you do it will be useless and drive the fish away.

Ajinomoto (MSG) 5 Baht sachet

two eggs

one small carton of coconut milk (the stuff used for cooking)

Mix all ingredients very well and put in fridge over night. Do not addd water.

Bait.doc

Just heat it in the wok over a low heat. No water, no oil, nothing but bran. Keep stirring so as to avoid burning. It will get slightly darker in colour, a tan color, and will smell sort of like baking cookies. Take off the heat and get it out of the wok quickly, so as not to alllow it to burn.

It works well with what in Thai are called scaled fish and skin fish. The latter are fish without scales like White Catfish. It also works well, and I have had most success, with catching Yeesok, Pla Chin (don't know thir names in English) and other delicious scaled fish.

Just heat it in the wok over a low heat. No water, no oil, nothing but bran. Keep stirring so as to avoid burning. It will get slightly darker in colour, a tan color, and will smell sort of like baking cookies. Take off the heat and get it out of the wok quickly, so as not to alllow it to burn.

It works well with what in Thai are called scaled fish and skin fish. The latter are fish without scales like White Catfish. It also works well, and I have had most success, with catching Yeesok, Pla Chin (don't know thir names in English) and other delicious scaled fish.

Hi GarryP

I can't open the file.. in word 2003... can you convert it to pdf then post again please.... Its the Thai encoding that I cant find a match for...

Thanks James

Freshwater fish.

For some weird reason I cannot seem to upload the file in .pdf format. So here they are in .txt format instead. Let me know if you have any trouble opening the file.

Bait1.txt

Freshwater fish.

For some weird reason I cannot seem to upload the file in .pdf format. So here they are in .txt format instead. Let me know if you have any trouble opening the file.

Sorry GarryP ... It must be my computer, as I can't get that one in format......

James

Thanks for the recipe, Garry. The old time Brits who catch coarse fish species in the sloughs and slow moving rivers of southern England are masters at cooking up a dough bait. In Thailand I usually just buy a big bag of old sandwiches that the tackle store gets from hotels. The sandwiches are the kind with cheese and ham. We just mash it up and chum the Pla buk so they are within reach of our fly rod.