Driving Licence Boat ?

bonpourlazil

Hi,

Do we need a get a driving licence for a speed boat? How to get it in Phuket? What is the regulations?

Thanks

It seems that farangs require a licence but they do not bother with Thais.

I researched this some years ago. I was told that application for 'boat driver licence,, some sort of helmsman ticket, for light private boats can be applied for at the harbour master office on Chalong pier. I never bothered applying, too much red tape & paprerwork.

It can be "arranged" through Max Marine. That's what we did. Didn't cost that much and worth having. If you get stopped by marine patrols, can be costly if you don't have one. I imagine other boat brokers/sellers on the island will arrange too.

I found that it was very easy in Chumphon to get the ticket to drive the boat myself but it was far better to have a Thai captain on the books as if anything went wrong at sea you need one! If I wasa going fishing with a few mates or simply taking the missus out I took the boat out myself but if I was going diving I always took the captain as the dive sites were a little further out at sea. :)