Phayao

elektrified

I've searched the entire TV website looking for some specific information on what to do and where to stay in Phayao. It has only been mentioned in passing so it seems. There was reference to a thread entitled "What to do in Phayao" but I did not find it in the search. There is also very little information available in travel guides. My tattered old 2005 copy of Lonely Planet Thailand doesn't even mention it!

I'm looking for some recommendations of where to stay that is not too expensive and what sights/activities (including nightlife, if any :) ) are recommended.

If anyone has any information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

I've searched the entire TV website looking for some specific information on what to do and where to stay in Phayao. It has only been mentioned in passing so it seems. There was reference to a thread entitled "What to do in Phayao" but I did not find it in the search. There is also very little information available in travel guides. My tattered old 2005 copy of Lonely Planet Thailand doesn't even mention it!

I'm looking for some recommendations of where to stay that is not too expensive and what sights/activities (including nightlife, if any :) ) are recommended.

If anyone has any information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

About hotel, I tried the GATEWAY - the rooms are ok but the food is very bad.

As far as I know, the have no website but the phone number is +66 (54) 410 519

Phayao is a funny place in that they have a beautiful lake with promonade and nice views across the lake to the mountains. Staying overnight there is really wierd in that there are no places taking advantage of the beautiful views on the lake.

On a recent trip there, we did manage to find one new place....really nicely decorated with teak walls and furniture, but wierd in that there were maybe 8 guest rooms, all of various sizes and nicely decorated/clean, but downside was that there was only one common bathroom for all rooms. othr downside was that the room we had was invaded by a large family of 'treveling Thais' 12 of them and you can immagine the noise.

There were other choices on the back streets, but from the outside, they all appeared to be local businessman's motel type places and we wanted a lake view.

I have always wondered if there are any resort type places somewhere around the lake. would be nice......

Good food choices in the many restaurants on the promanade.

Phayao is indeed a funny place, but a great one to explore. There are some very special places but often you have to be, or know, a local. Very little in the way of decent accommodations as it's off the tourist track. Best food is along the lakefront.

can take a look here, though info could be pretty outdated as my trip was in 2005:

http://thewanderingstraycat.blogspot.com/search/label/phayao%202005

went there with zero plans, just hopped on a bus out of Chiangrai bus station that wasn't going to anywhere we'd been before. ended up in Muang Phayao simply cos we decided not to stay in Chiang Kham.

stayed at Phayao Northern Lake Hotel, a bit eerie having the entire place to ourselves, no sign of any other guests.

Phayao's kinda off the foreign tourist track. tour coaches on their way to places further north pull up beside the lake & deposit packs of Thai tourists into the lakefront restaurants, & that's about it...they had a large pamphlet with maps, accom listing & info on attractions for Phayao province, but only in tiny Thai font. but the museum has OK English info accompanying the exhibits.

just outside of Chiang Kham there's a beautiful wooden temple (Wat Nantaram) but i missed it!

Edited by wanderingstraycat

All of Phayao is rather slow, if you come from the city it takes some time to get onto the pace. It's magic is more in the people, who are wonderful, and in the little hidden treasures you discover along the way. Life doesn't happen around the lake much except at festivals.

I'll give everyone a start on exploring Phayao. head out NE on 1202. When you come to a Gas Station on your right (About 2.5 K) slow down turn right just before the factory/ shop-house on your right. follow the road all the way to the end where there is a single monk Forest temple. very nice quiet and peaceful place. The Monk does not speak English, or not to me. You went by our house and no it wasn't the white place on the left when you turned, but I wish. If you continue up the highway a bit you come to the Military camp on the left. They have a nice little 9 hole golf course positioned way out of the way, apparently it's not bad but I have not played there.

Like the ones in Susan Street? :D

Or the one across from the Phayao bus station, that I don't know about.. :)

I should add that the HIV infection rate among Sex Workers in Phayao is over 60%.

Edited by lukamar

Never heard of Susanstreet.

Runs North from the lake to the Highway, 1/2 way between the Wat and the Park.

Great, how did you find out?

The UN AIDS agency did a study about 5-6 years ago and found the rate incredibly high. It would lead one to think that the rate is probably high in the general population as well. So don't party without a hat. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent some time in the Chiang Muan area not too far from Phayao and there isn't that much to do. Although if you have a local as a guide or a good map then there are some things to discover. We found a dinosaur park of some kind which was partially run down and went on a trip to the big river in the area and so on but ran out of time. I did want to go to Phayao itself but the hotel reviews were dismal and stuck it out in ban Tung Nong where the old lady comes from. It's a relatively boring area.

• 5 months later...

There is a very new, inexpensive hotel just behind the Phayao Ram Hospital. Turn east at the light and it is on the left about half a block down. I stayed there for about a month last January while I was planning a wedding that actually finally happened on the 24th. Walking into the lobby, one would think it was B500+. Great rooms and at B350 per night in an A/C, with cable TV and wireless internet connection, not to mention a fridge and all the hot water you could ask for. Nice place. Check it out. It is within walking distance to the main market, downtown, just remember what sidewalks there are, they can be treacherous.

I now live just northwest of the Lake and there is live music at this bar down pass the big park and bpaai at the southern end of the promenade, and of course at other bars along the lake. I particularly like the night market, actually more of an evening time eatery that stretches for blocks near the big school, downtown. Like someone remarked earlier, the people make this town and the lake just makes for a pretty picture, a very pretty picture.

I think SusanStreet??? is the one that runs past the Chinese cemetery and ends up at the main highway near the Lotus. Yes there is a small red light district on the right going east.

Don't miss the Cool Festival...starts the last week in December, I think. This will be my first December here, so I really don't know the exact date, but if Loy Kathrong was any indication of what to expect, then this should be quite good as well.

Somewhere outside of town to the southeast, is this great German Restuarant and resort. I went with friends and without my GPS, so couldn't find my way back if I had to. They do have commercials (in Thai of course) on the local radio. It is worth seeking out.

Trex, do you happen to remember the name of the hotel? Or have a number for them?

Thanks

Phayao Grandroom Hotel Don't have number at the moment, but can get it. They have several billboards along the hiway in Phayao. I will get it tomorrow on the way to work....

Trex, do you happen to remember the name of the hotel? Or have a number for them?

Thanks

Phayao Grandroom Hotel Don't have number at the moment, but can get it. They have several billboards along the hiway in Phayao. I will get it tomorrow on the way to work....

Thanks very much,

I found the address and number (google)

145 Siyaekpadeng Phahotyathin Tumbol Thawangthong Amphoe Mueang Phayao Phayao 56000 Tel : 0544I5RP8M8TEHM8AXBH29PG.gif-9

Thanks

Thanks very much,

I found the address and number (google)

145 Siyaekpadeng Phahotyathin Tumbol Thawangthong Amphoe Mueang Phayao Phayao 56000 Tel : 0544I5RP8M8TEHM8AXBH29PG.gif-9

hmmm not sure why the number didn't paste correctly...

Tel : 054484238-9

Edited by bifftastic