Fabianfred Hdr Photo Challenge

Kan Win

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you don't mind Kan Win and Fabian if I put these shots in as they are no competition with the pros here. They are to perhaps give some an incentive (or disincentive) to try their hand at HDR. This is my first attempt at it in order to test software and technique and also my only view at the moment is out my backdoor. :)

Dug up the manual on my Canon S5IS after HDR was brought up and found I have auto-bracketing on it. Set for +/- 2ev the below are before (left) and after (right) cooking plus a little PS CS3 fudging. Sure turns a flat dull image into something more dynamic. The main work was in Photomatix 3.0

post-566-1245761064_thumb.jpgpost-566-1245761141_thumb.jpg

post-566-1245761234_thumb.jpgpost-566-1245761301_thumb.jpg

I hope you don't mind Kan Win and Fabian if I put these shots in as they are no competition with the pros here. They are to perhaps give some an incentive (or disincentive) to try their hand at HDR. This is my first attempt at it in order to test software and technique and also my only view at the moment is out my backdoor. :D

Dug up the manual on my Canon S5IS after HDR was brought up and found I have auto-bracketing on it. Set for +/- 2ev the below are before (left) and after (right) cooking plus a little PS CS3 fudging. Sure turns a flat dull image into something more dynamic. The main work was in Photomatix 3.0

post-566-1245761141_thumb.jpg

Sure turns a flat dull image into something more dynamic.

Woooww the DOF in this photo really comes out great.

Wish me Oly E-3 could get that DOF :D

We all live and learn so get cracking with more of your "out my backdoor veiw". :)

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

P.S. adjusted this on ACDSee pro 2.5 into something more dynamic :D

post-3770-1245764591_thumb.jpg

P.S.S. sorry for the noise in me adjusted photo, but had only a little one to play with :D

Edited by Kan Win

It's a S5 IS not too many of those in circulation :) Great cam for HDR it can even shoot RAW/DNG format with the CDHK upgrade. Wouldn't surprise me if Canon discontinued it because it is the poor mans DSLR when CDHK is running on it.

Edited by lordsux

"It is important to remember that Pseudo HDR process does not tone-map a real HDR file, it simulate the look of a tone-mapped image on a single 8-bit source. It is a Pseudo HDR Tone-Mapping. The result can be sometimes very good, other time it may create a noisy image... it all depends on how well exposed is the single source image."

source:http://www.mediachance.com/hdri/help/index.html?fitymi_mapping.htm

"Fake (Pseudo) HDR is a special new process that can create HDR-like tone-mapped image from only a single JPG file (For single RAW we still advice to go for full HDR processing). It is very simple (fun and fast too).

source:http://www.mediachance.com/hdri/fakehdr.html

A cloudy pseudo-HDR Panorama

For Clouds I give it 10

and for Panoramic sad to say another 10 :D

I am a big softy for Panoramic Photography :)

Very nice photo 'lordsux' :D Thank you.

Yours truly,

Win from Kan :D

P.S. Now we are cooking on gas in this HDR thread :D

Went to 'Uthai Thani' last weekend with my wife as we have always passed this place either going to Chaing Mai or back as per her request. :D

Look what I found......... :D

All real 3 shots, hand held Oly E-3 RAW

Did not what to make it too Dynamic, but can :)

large.jpg

Yours truly,

In the same Temple grounds I found this

original.jpg

Must have been a one shot :) not sure, will get back to you all once I verify it. Working on two computers btw. :D

Yours truly,

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliments, much appreciated :D I have 5 or 6 'panoramas' from that cloud front, I have merged them and maybe will run a couple through the HDR grinder and post them on this thread depending on how they look. I'm new to creating Pano's but I think that their size and spectrum make a good base photo for any type of HDR treatment. This 'handheld' cloud panorama is around 12% of the 8200 x 2200, 5 frame original and heavily compressed for web use. Good to see it still has something left in it :D

This one of the Laos, Vang Vieng Mountains and Nam Song River was one was my very first attempts at a panorama, 5 RAW frames merged using Photoshop Elements. I just ran it through easyHDR which also has a LDR enhancement feature to give it a bit of kick.

Not often I get a 10, let alone 2 of them, so this is for you Kan :)

Same place a 'Real" HDR........................ :D .

large.jpg

Over cooked, but I still have me 3 shots in RAW to change it :D

I Thank you 'Fabianfred' and all members that have express their veiws and given us the opportunity to post our own HDR photos.

I vote 'Fabianfred' 10 out of............................ :D

Keep posting your HDR photos please on this your 'FavoriteFred' :)

Yours truly,

Thanks for the compliments, much appreciated :D I have 5 or 6 'panoramas' from that cloud front, I have merged them and maybe will run a couple through the HDR grinder and post them on this thread depending on how they look. I'm new to creating Pano's but I think that their size and spectrum make a good base photo for any type of HDR treatment. This 'handheld' cloud panorama is around 12% of the 8200 x 2200, 5 frame original and heavily compressed for web use. Good to see it still has something left in it :D

This one of the Laos, Vang Vieng Mountains and Nam Song River was one was my very first attempts at a panorama, 5 RAW frames merged using Photoshop Elements. I just ran it through easyHDR which also has a LDR enhancement feature to give it a bit of kick.

Not often I get a 10, let alone 2 of them, so this is for you Kan :D

Great pictures! Truly inspirational. I know what i will trying to do on my next day off! :D

and thanks for sharing :)

Not often I get a 10, let alone 2 of them, so this is for you Kan :)

very nice panorama, has a bit of fantasy feeling, I love it.

The clouds look a little burned sometime (for my personal taste), but the size of these make everything look huge. Amazing work for an handheld.

3272065708_b1a434c51a_o.jpg

My local temple has a new large Sala and there are six paintings depicting various festivals during the year... I shot them using three exposures to combine into HDR and two halves which were joined in Photoshop.

Edited by fabianfred

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

Beautiful sunlight on those hills.... I'd love to see a full size version of this........fantastic panorama

I have read all the posts re:taking a 'Real' HDR so I tried it last week-end, but sad to say I did already post me 3 entries in the clouds challenge :) therefore I post it in here.

3 photos in RAW and then Photomatix Pro 3 then in ACDSee Pro 2.50 for the final touch up and cropping.

large.jpg

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Edited by Kan Win

So is this thread going to run forever, isn't there a vote?

It has been a good thread showing some of the benefits and pitfalls of HDR. Something I have never tried myself, but I can see that the one shot HDR is inferior to the bracketed method.

For the next challenge I think we should have a contest to see who can level their tripod. It seems there are quit e few that need practice in this area.

So is this thread going to run forever, isn't there a vote?

It has been a good thread showing some of the benefits and pitfalls of HDR. Something I have never tried myself, but I can see that the one shot HDR is inferior to the bracketed method.

For the next challenge I think we should have a contest to see who can level their tripod. It seems there are quit e few that need practice in this area.

Lets leave it for a bit longer, shall we 'canuckamuck' :D

As for the next challenge that you mentioned, please open it, :D as all my photos are hand held and listing a wee bit :D

My tripod is fairly heavy and I only use it on my night shots :) due to the long exposure settings.

Yours truly,

Win in Kan :D

Been experimenting with Photomatrix :) , let me know what you think did i over cook it?

Made from a single RAW image with 3 exposure adjustment -2 0 +2 in lightroom.

It is always the muddy sky (highlights) which annoy me....as the rest is usually OK.... I suppose we could correct it in Photoshop...