BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Kan Win

Fabianfred Hdr Photo Challenge

Nice shot Kan Win..

It is my understanding that Photomatix will align pix as well as it can...then any moving objects such as people walking or birds...it will choose only one pic to be the main image for those cases...

post-34854-1245448748_thumb.jpg

This is my first attempt at HDR, took the pics with my canon 5DMkII

at the Bangkok Motor Show this year.

Used photoshop CS3 merge HDR feature. Lotta work but fun..

Maybe to help us learn a bit more about what HDR is about then submitters could post the original image/s used. More so as using this 'pseudo' single image phenomenon is allowed in this challenge. It really has nothing to do with HDR. Even 3 exposure bracketed .jpgs do not create a true HDR because they simply do not contain the tonal range to start with. To produce a real HDR image you need at least 3 exposure bracketed RAW files.

This image is lit by flash isn't it.....can a flash image make an HDR image??

I'm not jealous of your 5D mkII........ No!.... really I'm not!.... well....Ok then....I am........

To produce a real HDR image you need at least 3 exposure bracketed RAW files.

My camera has auto-bracketing up to +/-2 EV for 3 frames and can use continuous shooting mode with it. I was wondering about how many brackets should be used and came across a good article in showing how to decide and set it up. It also shows how to go further in range then the +/- 2ev.

NatureScapes.net

Interesting discussion over at Flickr on it also > Flickr: Discussing HDR

This image is lit by flash isn't it.....can a flash image make an HDR image??

I'm not jealous of your 5D mkII........ No!.... really I'm not!.... well....Ok then....I am........

I created 3 images from one flash photo, one underexposed one normal exposure and one over exposed

and used CS3 merge HDR. I must say I have really enjoyed reading about this process online and the

many techniques of sampling the image to achieve HDR. Fabianfred the camera is yours to BORROW :) anytime.

Edited by Pooklook

Not knocking your methods or the image which I like a lot, but the dynamic range needs to be captured with the camera and not 'created' on a PC. You can't bring out the full DR if it's not there to start with. What you are doing is 'exposure blending' not HDR image creation.

The first link that Tywais posted is great and explains the HDR technique very concisely.

Edited by lordsux

Rules....!!!

I declare there are no rules...... no limit to the number of images........true HDR and pseudo (tone mapped) are allowed.

Fill ya boots!

pseudo HDR is allowed according to Fabianfred. pseudo HDR is Single Source Image HDR :)

Rules....!!!

I declare there are no rules...... no limit to the number of images........true HDR and pseudo (tone mapped) are allowed.

Fill ya boots!

pseudo HDR is allowed according to Fabianfred. pseudo HDR is Single Source Image HDR :D

<snip>

The idea of these challenges is to have fun, but also to learn new techniques.

<snip>

Please no personal attack allowed and this is NOT 'Evauate my photo' also.

Kan Win :)

Edited by Kan Win

If anybody has downloaded the software and needs the manual to go with it PM me as I have it as a PDF. I'm going to have a play with it this afternoon :)

I admit that this challenge misses out on the true HDR images.... but it has got a few people to have a go at a process which can enhance images....and make them more interesting.

Using a program like Photomatix cuts out the need to learn a more complex software like Photoshop, which some people are a bit wary of....maybe being newcomers to the hobby....... and it is free with only a few limitations.

Hi All,

Please remember Thai Visa Rules

4) Not to flame fellow members.

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.

Thank you.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :)

Maybe to help us learn a bit more about what HDR is about then submitters could post the original image/s used. More so as using this 'pseudo' single image phenomenon is allowed in this challenge. It really has nothing to do with HDR. Even 3 exposure bracketed .jpgs do not create a true HDR because they simply do not contain the tonal range to start with. To produce a real HDR image you need at least 3 exposure bracketed RAW files.

before the Raw data was popular I use to shoot many tif with different exposures (I think around 8 shots) and combine together into a 32bit (per channel) file format, the result is better (more versatile) than single shot using Raw (normally 8 bit or 16 per channel). Of course that had many disadvantages, such as being time consuming (action shots are impossible), need tripod and remote, processing the different exposures, etc., but if you do a nice work, you will get less noise in the dark areas compared to a single shoot in raw.

I prefer though 3 exposures in raw (-2 0 +2), it is much easier, especially with image stabilizer lenses and a canon 40d that shoot like a machine gun, sometime no need tripod.

I admit that this challenge misses out on the true HDR images.... but it has got a few people to have a go at a process which can enhance images....and make them more interesting.

Using a program like Photomatix cuts out the need to learn a more complex software like Photoshop, which some people are a bit wary of....maybe being newcomers to the hobby....... and it is free with only a few limitations.

Well said 'fabianfred'. :D

I for one tried the 3 to 5 shots and failed badly.

large.jpg

Then I took the other road, as you know 'there are more ways to skin a cat' :D

I really like using Photomatix as I take RAW photo now (since members of this forum suggested 'that is the way to go' :)) and process to enhance me images. Egg-samples below:-

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D