Fabianfred Hdr Photo Challenge

Kan Win

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been experimenting with HDR, but not going for the 8 exposure complete OTT look. Instead I have been applying it to single images to give a bit of extra snap. Couple samples:

http://www.iantaylor.ca/sugarcane.jpg

http://www.iantaylor.ca/starferry.jpg

http://www.iantaylor.ca/loadships.jpg (shot with a tilt-shift lens)

The first one was for a job, the others just playing.

• 10 months later...

large.jpg

Ayuttaya Temple Roots

Buddha head overgrown by a fig in Wat Mahatat in Ayutthaya historic park, Thailand.

Though the body is gone, the sandstone head is entrapped in the roots and lies beneath a Bodhi tree in the vicinity of Wat Mahathat in Ayutthaya. This piece of ancient antique is extremely precious albeit it is trapping under a tree. Look and appreciate but no touching please so that this piece of ancient-natural arts is preserved for everybody's enjoyment.

The construction of Wat Mahathat begun during the reign of King Borommarachathirat I in 1374 A.D. but completed during the reign of King Ramesuan (1388-1395 A.D.) The architecture of Wat Mahatat had several prangs of Khmer style. While the octagonal chedis showed the influence of Ceylonese.

E-3 Oly

1/160s f/4.0 at 14.0mm iso400

Win

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Novice question to all.

The exif data doesn't state i HDR-ed this shot..

Is there a way(besides the expert-eye) one can proof a shot is HDR?

Thank youwai.gif .

Really enjoying this thread i just discovered.

Not sure if this has been posted but a free open source HDR software recently updated - Luminance HDR

Thanks, but 1 area of photography i will never touch is post processing.

To me this feels like cheating.

I love "RAW-ing, it" because this will entice me to learn and be mentally active more out there.

Thanks, but 1 area of photography i will never touch is post processing.

To me this feels like cheating.

I love "RAW-ing, it" because this will entice me to learn and be mentally active more out there.

I'm confused about your statement Dancealot. The mechanics of HDR require post processing unless you have a super expensive camera with 16/24/32 bit adcs. Even cameras with built in HDR does post processing in camera to combine the multiple images. Standard cameras require multiple shots at different exposures and combined externally in software, in other words post processed. Programs like Luminance or Photomatix, etc are the tools to put them together. It can be as simple as the fundamental combining of the images without 'cooking' them more or cooking them to extremes like some on here to give it a more artistic appearance.

Even RAW requires post processing basically to convert to a web viewable image or printable image. Perhaps a topic on post processing would be useful as it certainly has it's place and even professionals do it. Being a purist is one thing but really puts restrictions on your creative skills and taking a so-so image and turning it into an image to be proud to show. Remember, even before the digital age, dark room post processing was very common.

-------------------------------------------------------

Is it cheating?

And at the end of the day the digital darkroom (post processing software) is a modern extension of the original darkroom, and even has some of the darkroom techniques (or digital versions of) like dodge and burn and unsharp mask included in it.

I think the digital darkroom is just the next evolution of the original darkroom.

Famous photographers like Ansel Adams are actually known for their post processing techniques. Ansel Adams is widely known for his use of the dodge and burn technique in the darkroom and even wrote a book on it.

So if it’s good enough for Mr Adams then it’s good enough for me!

thephotographerblog

----------------------------------------------------------

"But that's cheating!"

It's a common response when people discuss tweaking or 'post processing' work. Some people see it as a regular part of their work, others see it as unnecessary, even unethical.

In this edition of Exposed! we look at what happens after you close the camera's shutter. We discuss the options and ethics of tweaking photos.

Harrynowell

How post processing helped me to become a better photographer

---------------------------------------------------------------------

An important part of digital photography is post-processing (PP). To some, this is a somewhat controversial process. Is it cheating to use a photo editing program to modify your pictures? I would say no, it isn't cheating. It is just a tool. It still takes a good photographer to take the image. If the exposure or focus is off there is only so much you can do to fix it and most of those shots are decent at best. I think it is "easier" to do on the computer than what you do in a darkroom. Usually it is the hardcore film guys that think it is cheating. Push/pull film, filters, dodge, burn, color washes, etc. Those are all film techniques applied by the photographer and/or lab to alter the image. Is that cheating?? It is really a stupid argument.

Cichlid

And a must read here on postprocessing - paulpichugin

• Like 2

We can never beat the human eye....it adjusts focus and brightness automatically....and zooms in on the point of interest.

Don't discount your brain too, that adjust colours to what you think they should be

If you are 40 or over then you are no longer seeing the colours as they really are, it is all a bit yellow

and getting worse as time goes on.

A cataract operation replaces the yellowed lens inside your eye and

then you see the colours again, as they really are, VIBRANT

and white is really WHITE. :D