1,301 Confirmed Cases Of Chikungunya In Phuket

george

Chikungunya continues to rise in Phuket

PHUKET: -- Chikungunya continues to spread in the province, with 694 confirmed cases in the island's official records. And the actual figure is probably far higher.

Phuket Provincial Health Office (PPHO) Director Dr Pongsawas Ratanasang confirmed that 669 Thais have received hospital treatment for the disease.

Dr Pongsawas said a further 25 cases, all foreigners, have also been treated: 17 Burmese, one Korean, one New Zealander, two Austrians, one Filipino, two Swedes and one Scot.

Thalang District is the highest risk area, followed by Kathu District and Phuket City.

Dr Pongsawas stressed that nobody has yet died of the disease. He expressed confidence the PPHO was succeeding in controlling its spread.

“The spread of the disease in Phuket is slowing down. I think we can have it under control within three months,” Dr Pongsawas said.

Dr Pongsawas said the actual number of cases was probably far higher, as many people with the disease treat themselves or visit clinics.

One woman in Thalang complained to a local cable television channel that despite frequent spraying of her home by authorities, every member of her household had been hit with the affliction.

Gazette staffer Fraser Morton, who is still recovering from the disease, said, “It’s a nasty, debilitating, uncomfortable and expensive fever to have. My first symptom was an extremely high fever that topped 40, followed by severe aching in my knees and lower back, as well as vomiting. I was admitted to hospital, put on a drip and pumped full of pain medication for two days.

“Three weeks on I still have pains in my lower back and knees, and have been told by my doctor this could last another month. My bill topped 16,000 baht at the international hospital where I stayed for two days,” said the Scotsman.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-06-10

VDO on

or http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...hp?news_id=1164

item--1---

Thai Health Minister seeks health volunteers’ cooperation in blocking Chikungunya and A H1N1 virus.

The Thai Minister of Public Health Wittaya Kaewparadise on Thursday presided over an opening ceremony of a health service centre building in Wichit Municipality. After that the minister greeted and delivered policy to health volunteers who attended the ceremony. He stressed that being a resort island, Phuket’s health service centres need to enhance efficiency and improve service quality to take care of the public’s health as well as foreign visitors.

The minister also touched on the wide spread Chikungunya cases saying that they are tending to increase in the upper southern part of the country. Since 1st January to 2nd June, 24,029 people in 36 provinces have contracted the disease. Among these, 534 cases are found in Phuket, ranked 7th. He urged health volunteers, totaling 1,574 people in Phuket, to help prevent themselves from getting bitten by mosquitoes and eradicate sources of water where mosquitoes lay eggs. He also praised the local health volunteers who rotate to assist officials at airports for investigating passengers who may have fevers. The minister however stressed that the scanners only work with cooperation by passengers because if they take a pill to reduce their temperature then the scanners would not detect them.

Related items: --2---

New office for a Medical Science Centre is now opened in Phuket.

A new office building as a Medical Science Centre was opened in Phuket yesterday by the Minister of Public Health, Mr. Wittaya Kaewparadise. The minister stressed that the centre will take aggressive action in prevention of diseases and support food producers to meet the Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (or HACCP) standard while keeping watch against Legionella or infections from air conditioning. After setting up the centre previously at Wachira Hospital in Phuket, the centre has been carrying out examinations and certifying hotel food production following standards, generating awareness and interest among hoteliers. At present 22 hotels’ food production lines have been certified. It also runs random checks for food quality in 42 items from 202 convenience stores and found that 68 samples out of 147 do not meet standard. The random check helps ensures quality and safety for consumers.

item--3---

Health and Wellness Fair is being held at Jungceylon in Phuket.

The Heath and Wellness Fair was opened yesterday by the Public Health Minister Mr. Witaya Kaewparadise and will go on until June 13th. The fair features spa amenities and services plus Thai traditional massage. The spa businesses, mostly from Phuket, showcase their products and services where a relaxing zone is also designated for visitors to try out massages and spa experiences. Among some of the attending spas are Sukkho Spa, Cape Panwa and from Laguna. The minister stressed his policy to boost Thai spa services to meet world standards. He pointed out that last year spa businesses earned the nation 12 billion baht. Mr. Wittaya stated that there are around 6,000 spa businesses across the country.

Andaman News NBT TV (VHF dial) at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 3.30pm, 7pm 1.30am & 6.30am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & maybe Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, Friday 12 June 2009 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/

& www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews

Edited by NBT TV Phuket

• 1 month later...
add me. 1 American.

Are you recovering from Chikungunya yet?

I got the virus in Phuket around mid-April, returned to the UK a month ago and am still in considerable pain. Especially hands and feet.

My Thai doctor gave me an interesting and very effective 'cocktail' of medication, which included steroids and immuno-suppressants.

With the pain gone I felt great!

However, UK doctors insisted I stop taking these drugs immediately, have been advised to use paracetamol and ibuprofen, which do not really alleviate the symptoms.

Still in a lot of pain and discomfort, it's having a negative impact in all areas of life, including work... I just can't!

Any advice would be welcome!

• 3 weeks later...