Help Needed With Thai Language

ronnieboot

Hello,

My name is Ronnie West, I live in the United Kingdom. I am hoping to visit Thailand soon and will stay for some months, but I do not speak the local language and I am interested in finding a good 'English to Thai' dictionary.

If anyone is able to recommend something at a reasonable price, I would be very pleased to hear from you. Maybe you can provide an internet link to any sites offering a suitable service.

Thankyou for your assistance.

Try your local WH Smiths or Wetherspoons...sorry Waterstones..(on the other hand???)and pick up one of the small English-Thai basic intoductory course dialogue and phrase books including either a cassete or CD.

My first one was the Collins edition then about £1-50p and I spent my time going to work on the underground just listening and repeating (lots of funny looks...who cares?)

Another one is "Thai in a week"under the headway banner and again same idea.As said the cas/CD inportant since it gives you an idea on the tonal vari.but if you are just going on hols you will only realy need the basics.Hello-How are You-Where is this/that-Name-Numbers-...and the most important phrase in the world ..in any country ..HOW MUCH....and finally for LOS dont forget KRUP......say with everything and you will enjoy. :o

Try your local WH Smiths or Wetherspoons...sorry Waterstones......

Thanks for the swift response to my question - your suggestions are appreciated.

I did try the 'cassette based' tutorials but found them a little heavy for my liking. I have heard that there are some 'digital' style tutorials around the internet. that are very good. Hopefully somebody will know where they are and steer me toward the right web page.

Ron

Hey that is a good site but after spending a few hours on the internet, this afternoon, checking out some dictionaries, I think I found exactly what I was looking for. It is called "Spoken Thai" and it seems to be a very profound dictionary in phonetic translation, so I can use it without the need to know the Thai alphabet. It also has audio files so I can hear the pronounciation. It is not cheap ($30) but that seems fair enough for what I will get. I can really recommend this and you can find it here: My Webpage

Thankyou.

Ron West