BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
john29

Beware Renting Motorbikes In Chiangmai

Thanks for the explanation. I have a "master key" for most of the padlocks in my stores. :)

I was told that the steering locks for motorbikes are totally useless and that there is a technique to break them which involves lifting the bike and slamming it down on the front wheel whilst twisting the steering column a certain way.

The fact that a friends bike once disappeared from round the corner to a restaurant where we were having lunch, seems to support this.

There are also locksmiths that can break into pretty much anything in a matter of minutes (I know this as I once locked myself out of my car :) )

As for Lanna Rebirths question, I believe it is in the affirmative, maybe even flourishing.

If this happened to me on a visit to Thailand, I would probably write the place off and never return. Just an observation.

I would dread the day something got stolen in my home country then, as I would have to leave and never return.

If this happened to me on a visit to Thailand, I would probably write the place off and never return. Just an observation.

I would dread the day something got stolen in my home country then, as I would have to leave and never return.

The theft itself wouldn't discourage me, but being blatantly scammed then finding no help from the police and no legal recourse would. Many scams--like the tourist gem scam--exploit people's greed with get-rich-quick promises. But the motorbike scam is just venal and pathetic.

Skeleton keys or "jimmies" are not a myth. I had a friend get a set off ebay in College. he would break into his friends cars and park em in different places over campus (stupid college pranks) He could get in and start up a car sometimes in under 2 minutes just by jiggling this key in the locks. I saw this with my own eyes.

But if they are stealing their own bikes, they have probably made duplicate copies.

I was told that the steering locks for motorbikes are totally useless and that there is a technique to break them which involves lifting the bike and slamming it down on the front wheel whilst twisting the steering column a certain way.

The fact that a friends bike once disappeared from round the corner to a restaurant where we were having lunch, seems to support this.

There are also locksmiths that can break into pretty much anything in a matter of minutes (I know this as I once locked myself out of my car :) )

As for Lanna Rebirths question, I believe it is in the affirmative, maybe even flourishing.

You can just ram a screwdriver in the ignition and turn it with a pair of vise grips. I don't know about new bikes but this works on older bikes. Or two guys can pick it up and throw the bike in the back of a truck in no time at all.

There's a video I saw on YouTube of guys in Hong Kong or somewhere seizing illegally parked motorbikes and putting them in a truck. It was really impressive how fast they do it. They just lifted the bike up by the front tire an rolled it on the back wheel over to the truck and then right up the ramp. With a ramp one guy can put the bike in the truck solo in just a few seconds. I tried for several minutes to find the video so I could post the link but no luck.

This post is in no way intended to tell someone how to steal a bike. Just warning people of how easy it is to do it. Lock you bike with a good chain and lock.

You can just ram a screwdriver in the ignition and turn it with a pair of vise grips. I don't know about new bikes but this works on older bikes. Or two guys can pick it up and throw the bike in the back of a truck in no time at all.

There's a video I saw on YouTube of guys in Hong Kong or somewhere seizing illegally parked motorbikes and putting them in a truck. It was really impressive how fast they do it. They just lifted the bike up by the front tire an rolled it on the back wheel over to the truck and then right up the ramp. With a ramp one guy can put the bike in the truck solo in just a few seconds. I tried for several minutes to find the video so I could post the link but no luck.

This post is in no way intended to tell someone how to steal a bike. Just warning people of how easy it is to do it. Lock you bike with a good chain and lock.

And don't just lock the tires- they are easy to remove and take your bike. Chain a part of your frame to an immovable object. :D

Alternatively buy a Pit Bull or Rottweiler and leave it tied to the bike. :):D

Alternatively buy a Pit Bull or Rottweiler and leave it tied to the bike. :):D

You mean like this? :D

STWilf-1.jpg

As a partner in a m/c rent shop here in CM, I am more likely to believe it's an organized or semi-organized "gang" behind this rather than the bike shop. Why do I say this? 1) because we have had 2 small bikes stolen in the past 6 months and we were definitely not behind the theft (one was rented to my partner's mate) and 2) times are hard and lots of things disappear. It's my (unsubstantiated) view that rent bikes are specifically targeted as the thieves know that they are not affecting a "local" and therefore his/her ability to get around and earn a crust. What the thieves do with them I do not know but if I had to hazard a guess, taken over to Burma would be my favourite.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Edited by Pikey

Interesting post Pikey. How did it play out with the renters? Did they havc to pay you and how much? Just curious how it works when people of integrity are involved.

Interesting post Pikey. How did it play out with the renters? Did they havc to pay you and how much? Just curious how it works when people of integrity are involved.

In each case the customer was obliged to cough up but a practical amount, not the price of a new bike to replace a secondhand one. Without being specific, between 20 - 30k in each case. The problem is we can't buy theft and damage insurance for secondhand small bikes.

Theft is not good for the shop either as then we have to source a decent bike and not a POS that needs $$$ spending on it before it's rentable and this can take time. Time that would be otherwise spent with the bike rented out and the shop earning a little money from it.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Hi Ozz1, Thanks for a better report on what transpired at the Central Station

I am with you about not signing blank forms or forms in Thai that you cannot read. The Tourist Police have some farange volunteers who can help you through this. They can read and speak Thai and understand the culture. You need a "go" between who can advise you and your friend. We all have to learn the Thai Way :D of doing things, sometimes the hard way.You made a good effort for your friend and I admire that. Chok Dee

Where did you get that information cmd? The majority of foreign Thai Police volunteers can barely say hello and thank you in Thai let alone act as interpreters. Most of them are wannabees and like to prance around in their little blue overalls with lots of badges and say, "Hey, look at me." Most are kite fliers in my opinion.

:)

. . . Most of them are wannabees and like to prance around in their little blue overalls with lots of badges and say, "Hey, look at me." . . .

Like law enforcers the world over, eh? :)

. . . Most of them are wannabees and like to prance around in their little blue overalls with lots of badges and say, "Hey, look at me." . . .

Like law enforcers the world over, eh? :)

i thought he was talking about the average english bobby for a minute.

QUOTE (Puwa @ 2009-06-16 18:26:53)

-I would dread the day something got stolen in my home country then, as I would have to leave and never return.

-The theft itself wouldn't discourage me, but being blatantly scammed then finding no help from the police and no legal recourse would. Many scams--like the tourist gem scam--exploit people's greed with get-rich-quick promises. But the motorbike scam is just venal and pathetic.

agreed... it's this sort of blatant greed and disrespect which has put me off thailand. just happens too often there.