BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
john29

Beware Renting Motorbikes In Chiangmai

Hi Ozz1, Thanks for a better report on what transpired at the Central Station

I am with you about not signing blank forms or forms in Thai that you cannot read. The Tourist Police have some farange volunteers who can help you through this. They can read and speak Thai and understand the culture. You need a "go" between who can advise you and your friend. We all have to learn the Thai Way :D of doing things, sometimes the hard way.You made a good effort for your friend and I admire that. Chok Dee

Where did you get that information cmd? The majority of foreign Thai Police volunteers can barely say hello and thank you in Thai let alone act as interpreters. Most of them are wannabees and like to prance around in their little blue overalls with lots of badges and say, "Hey, look at me." Most are kite fliers in my opinion.

:)

I saw this coming, the annual cheap shot at the volunteers who give their time to the Chiang Mai community from people who have nothing better to do than sit at their computers and toss out negative comments about people they know nothing about. It is getting boring! Get a life !! As you say it is your " opinion" we all know what that means :-) :D

Nah they don't always take em out of the country. My friend's mio was stolen and it showned up in Sukothai all riced out and painted black. She got it back and it was stolen again 3 months later...

agreed... it's this sort of blatant greed and disrespect which has put me off thailand. just happens too often there.

Really?? I have never been shown any disrespect such as that.

I am a firm believer that it is your own behaviour and respect which dictates how people will treat you.

When looking at it like that, it is not hard to see why some people seem to have all these problems.

agreed... it's this sort of blatant greed and disrespect which has put me off thailand. just happens too often there.

Really?? I have never been shown any disrespect such as that.

I am a firm believer that it is your own behaviour and respect which dictates how people will treat you.

When looking at it like that, it is not hard to see why some people seem to have all these problems.

While I generally agree with you, there are nasty people out there who treat you poorly despite how you act.

Yep, absolutely. But, they are by no means a significant amount of the population, anywhere you go!

Edited by madjbs

Hi Ozz1, Thanks for a better report on what transpired at the Central Station

I am with you about not signing blank forms or forms in Thai that you cannot read. The Tourist Police have some farange volunteers who can help you through this. They can read and speak Thai and understand the culture. You need a "go" between who can advise you and your friend. We all have to learn the Thai Way :D of doing things, sometimes the hard way.You made a good effort for your friend and I admire that. Chok Dee

Where did you get that information cmd? The majority of foreign Thai Police volunteers can barely say hello and thank you in Thai let alone act as interpreters. Most of them are wannabees and like to prance around in their little blue overalls with lots of badges and say, "Hey, look at me." Most are kite fliers in my opinion.

:)

I saw this coming, the annual cheap shot at the volunteers who give their time to the Chiang Mai community from people who have nothing better to do than sit at their computers and toss out negative comments about people they know nothing about. It is getting boring! Get a life !! As you say it is your " opinion" we all know what that means :-) :D

BB has got a life mate, and knows a lot about the kite fliers in blue overalls. Also knows a lot about Thailand and Thai culture but never entertained the thought of joining the volunteer pseudo wannabee police. Besides that there's probably not a pair of blue overalls in all of Thailand that would fit.

So how many of these fTPv's do you know who are fluent in Thai, written and oral? Maybe 1 in 20? I doubt it. You stated in your earlier post that they can act as "go" betweens. Maybe you are correct there in that if you are having trouble ordering some noodles they may be able to help you.

Once again, this is my opinion and obviously you know what that means. sHa_yes2.gif

No intention to offend, but, Blinky Bill was a real policeman at one point in time and is a most respected member of the expat community in Chiang Mai. His opinion should not be taken lightly. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

nil

Brutally handsome edit there, jil. :)

Re-edit :

Ulyssus G. is a most respected member of the expat community in Chiang Mai, his opinion should not be taken lightly and he is brutally handsome.

Most are kite fliers in my opinion.

For newcomers to Thailand, "Kite fliers" comes from a Thai idiom and translates into something like "have a lot in common with Pee Wee Herman and David Carradine".

pee-wee-herman.jpg

You've gotten me confused with Blinky Bill. :)

No.

. . . Most of them are wannabees and like to prance around in their little blue overalls with lots of badges and say, "Hey, look at me." . . .

Like law enforcers the world over, eh? :)

We switched from blue to black numerous years ago.. instead of "Hey, look at me" we found out the snipers couldn't see us as well.

Sometimes it's better not to be seen. ( and I wasn't a volunteer )

This happened to me a few years back, and I had to pay the full 46,000 Bath for the bike. We sat together me, my friend, the rental guy, and the police at the police station. They rental guy looked very sad, and the police told us this was gangs from Laos stealing bikes in Chiang Mai. There was no insurance covering theft, so we had to pay out. All we thought of was to get our passports back. Maybe it was a scam, maybe not..

Btw, they rental guy let us keep the bike keys, as he said he didn't need it. So i kept it as an expensive souvenir...

Edited by mortenaa